Pentax 645z

So I have the file from the 645z. No corner softness....and uniform centre to edge sharpness. More uniform than my Sigma ART's and 2.8 70-200 and as 35mm lenses go these are top drawer.

I felt the 645 needed more of a sharpen overall than one off a full frame but centre to edge this is really impressive once you do. You could trust it completely and not have to compose to crop.

Working off a TIFF - wouldn't say the shadow recovery is anything ground breaking over a Nikon D8x0 body...however if you had a Canon 5d3 or even 5d4 I think you'd be bowled over by the shadow recovery and dynamic range on offer.

The 50mp res is good...but so is the Nikon at 36mp. Yes better...but not going to change your life different. There is a leap up obviously with the resolution and at 100% this is a brilliant device. No doubt.

Boost the blacks a little, lift out the top 3/4 point in the tone curve and play with the saturation and it is a notch up from what I got. The colour really stands out, lovely and natural. Sublime even as is the detail in the highlights.

For a landscaper after an SLR this is a very tempting proposition.

I'd want more computing grunt though...more RAM, better GPU but I will build an amazing machine soon. Once that is done...yes...this is a contender.

Last edited:
This may be an unpopular opinion.... I tried the Fuji gfx 50r and found it totally hopeless to use and I was disappointed with the build quality. Definitely rent one first before buying - I was really keen on the Fuji but couldn’t believe how disappointed I was with it.

This may be an unpopular opinion.... I tried the Fuji gfx 50r and found it totally hopeless to use and I was disappointed with the build quality. Definitely rent one first before buying - I was really keen on the Fuji but couldn’t believe how disappointed I was with it.

I have to say I was the same. I tried one at the Photography Show and was massively underwhelmed by the ergonomics, feel and usability. I was mostly glad in a way. It was definitely something I was no longer going to lust over.

I had a 50S on loan for 10 days, and have played with a 50R, the S is much nicer handling and the tiltable EVF is a landscapers dream. The 50R is a slab of a camera and something even its mother couldn't love!

Ultimately I felt these digital Medium Format cameras were not for me, as they weren't Medium Format enough! But you can't deny the level of details that can be extracted from the images, and the real world DR was just stunning at low ISO. - and it doesn''t stop me lusting after one on a regular basis!

50R/S the dynamic range rather nice but not ground breaking, same goes for resolution.
GFX100 is in a complete different class. I'd love one but I still haven't won the lottery.

Do you really want to spend MF kinda cash in a practically dead system? Ok it's actually cheaper than other MF digital options but the prices are going to continue to do down.

Is it though...time will tell....and if it does go down a bit and I get an end of line deal on some good glass/body is it really the worst thing

If it was the Fuji system it would be the 50s or even the GFX100 if prices come down in time.

Is it though...time will tell....and if it does go down a bit and I get an end of line deal on some good glass/body is it really the worst thing

If it was the Fuji system it would be the 50s or even the GFX100 if prices come down in time.

If you get a nice end of the line deal that'd be pretty good especially if you plan on keeping it for a long time.

Still not sure what you gain from the big old body and lenses but you seem to have seen it in RAWs so can't argue with that.

If you get a nice end of the line deal that'd be pretty good especially if you plan on keeping it for a long time.

Still not sure what you gain from the big old body and lenses but you seem to have seen it in RAWs so can't argue with that.

I do tend to keep stuff a while...I've had the same D800 since early 2014 and the same MacPro tower since 2012....I count my D810's as new as I got them in end 2016 :D

I need to do a new PC first. It struggles a tad with the 36mp files. A newer, very powerful machine is a must

Last edited:
There aren't a huge number or lenses available, but enough to suit my needs.

Either this or a Fuji mirrorless MF thing next - but I do prefer the SLR form factor

I can't help with this, but if you aren't familiar with Ewan Dunsmuir he shoots with the pentax and has also discussed using the Fuji GFXz if you browse his videos.

Some more info

I am really seeing myself with one of these in the medium term. That or the Fuji. Heart says this, head says Fuji as there are more lenses, newer system etc. Just depends if RICOH kill it. I hope they don't

For landscape work the Tiltable EVF option on the 50S would seal it for me. Why more camera systems don't have this option is a mystery. You must try one before you make your decision.

For landscape work the Tiltable EVF option on the 50S would seal it for me. Why more camera systems don't have this option is a mystery. You must try one before you make your decision.

I know, it's not cheap, it's rare so would probably have to drive a very considerable way to try one and speak to wex in person then try it before buying. Same with the Fuji. I've never had a camera with a tiltable screen so that's a plus. Just playing with that TIFF I was sent on again makes me see a world of new opportunities here.

Last edited:
The 645Z's screen tilts up (and swings out) for waist level viewing with a live histogram, 2 axis level and focus peaking...works a treat.

I know, it's not cheap, it's rare so would probably have to drive a very considerable way to try one and speak to wex in person then try it before buying. Same with the Fuji. I've never had a camera with a tiltable screen so that's a plus. Just playing with that TIFF I was sent on again makes me see a world of new opportunities here.

With big sums of money involved a trip to try will always be worth it. I have a relationship with a nearby dealer and was fortunate enough to borrow a GFX50S+Tiltable EVF+32-64mm for 10 days. Fujifilm do offer a Try Before system as well https://fujifilm-connect.hireacamer...tm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=free-48-hour-loans - deposit is quite significant by 48 hours is free, a week costs some brass. With Christmas coming up you can get extra free days on the 48hour loan

The 645Z's screen tilts up (and swings out) for waist level viewing with a live histogram, 2 axis level and focus peaking...works a treat.

Yes but using a screen is not the same an an EVF especially in bright light, the tiltable EVF is a thing of wonder as it can be used in both landscape and portrait formats

Yes but using a screen is not the same an an EVF especially in bright light.....
I don't see 'bright light' as an issue with modern displays, they're very contrasty. I live in SW France and the summer skies are as bright as anywhere you're likely to be shooting but the angle finder that I bought has been confined to it's pouch for the duration. I'm not knocking EVF's, they have thier uses, but I don't believe that they offer much for traditional landscape work.

I don't see 'bright light' as an issue with modern displays, they're very contrasty. I live in SW France and the summer skies are as bright as anywhere you're likely to be shooting but the angle finder that I bought has been confined to it's pouch for the duration. I'm not knocking EVF's, they have thier uses, but I don't believe that they offer much for traditional landscape work.

That's where I like to photograph, Gavarnie, Ossau valley and into Spain around Ordesa Y Monte Perdido.

Back