Pentax 6x7, any experiences?

Name
Edit My Images
No
Ok I want to get into some "portable" medium format again. I don't have the funds to get what I want, a Mamiya 6 or 7, so have been looking at alternatives. I know pentax have a pretty good rep for lens quality but just wondering about the body? has anyone owned one of these before and can give some feedback on them? Weight, usability, things to look out for?

I had a 67 and loved it. The sheer size and weight was impressive but believe me.... it's not terribly portable.

The 105mm has a reputation and it is well deserved. Even my most amateur talent managed some incredible results.

That said... If you want portability I highly recommend the Mamiya 6. I just picked one up and it is night and day different to the Pentax, far lighter and no shutter slap so you can hand hold easily to as low as 1/30th without any issues ... Or I have a Plaubel 67 which will likely be up for sale very soon. Look them up, I'd want £1500 for the Plaubel which is around the price of a decent condition 67 (with MLU) and a lens.

I've not owned one, but have used one a few times. Optically I remember them being very good. From memory they were heavy, and I seem to remember you needed a battery for them to work shutter and meter? Might be wrong on that. Its been a long time.
These were the camera of choice for scenes of crime photographers for many years.

I've not owned one, but have used one a few times. Optically I remember them being very good. From memory they were heavy, and I seem to remember you needed a battery for them to work shutter and meter? Might be wrong on that. Its been a long time.
These were the camera of choice for scenes of crime photographers for many years.

Correct... You need the metered prism for metering and also battery for shutter operation.

When looking to buy a 67, look out for chain damage. I loaned mine out on FatLlama.com and it came back with a snapped chain. You must remove the lens first, then the TTL Prism in that order and replace the prism first, then the lens or you will snap the metering chain.

Thankfully 67s are still supported by https://www.asahiphoto.co.uk/ should you need any work done.

The thing I recall about my 67 (35 years back) was mirror slap.

cheers, didn't think about the mirror slap. Yeah I'd love a Mamiya 6, owned one for a long time and hated parting with it. But I just don't have the money spare when I've got a kitchen to upgrade instead :(

This actually looks a good buy...

It is the later 105mm which is the best and later TTL... Im half tempted to sell a kidney and buy it.

Buy a later one with mirror lock up = no slap , I think highly of my one, I use it with the wooden handle / Grip.
Allways lusted after one when seeing the results David Baily and Lord Lichfield achieved.

Some users have mentioned that the autofocus system on certain Pentax models, particularly older ones, can be a bit sluggish in comparison to modern DSLRs. Additionally, it's important to note that the Pentax 645 series uses a 6x4.5 cm film format, which is slightly smaller than the 6x7 cm format of the Mamiya 6 or 7. This may affect the aspect ratio and overall image look.

I'm on my second 6x7 setup. I regretfully sold mine about 2 years ago and then ended up getting another and buying the 105mm from @Jakemico AE-1P

I absolutely love it! It's a beaut of a camera. I've shot it handheld at 1/60 and never found the slap to cause any issues. It is quite a beast in terms of weight. If you can get the wooden grip, then this does help a little in terms of handling, though it's not "essential".

Also, if you're a glasses wearer then I'd advise on getting a rubber cap as it can do some damage to the specks. I've since got a waist level finder for mine and it's perfect now (though I do miss shooting in portrait at times).

The metered prism is nice, but I rarely used it when I had it. I often carry a pocket meter if I'm really stuck, but otherwise err for overexposure. Never found any issues with doing that on MF.

Had one and I loved the images it took but its just not portable enough for me, its a pain to hold and weighs a ton. I think its actually poorly designed - take a slr and super size it

On the plus great lens choice, accurate shutter speeds and lots of accessories.

Depending on your lens needs, I’d go Mamiya, hasselblad, one of the Fuji GWs or even a 645nii for the autofocus, how big do you print, how many focal lengths you use etc will all inform the decision

I’ve owned a number of cameras being discussed in this thread and still own a Pentax 6x7 (I used to have two!). Obviously the answer to this is very dependent on your circumstances and needs. The 6x7 is by no means the most portable and is unlikely to be the most obvious choice for travel (Plaubel Makina 6x7 was traditionally my choice here), but I have taken the 6x7 on holidays (e.g., Mallorca, Malaysia, South Korea) and taken some great photos with it. I have usually travelled with it for holidays where people photos will be a major focus (105mm is a monster lens for this), but also really happy with the 45mm lens for environmental portraits and landscape/scenery/city shots.

Ok I want to get into some "portable" medium format again. I don't have the funds to get what I want, a Mamiya 6 or 7, so have been looking at alternatives. I know pentax have a pretty good rep for lens quality but just wondering about the body? has anyone owned one of these before and can give some feedback on them? Weight, usability, things to look out for?
I’ve had a few Pentax 67s over the years (and also the Mamiya 6 and 7ii). Bought and sold them for something else, but always came back to the 67. I love the format, the lens quality and the prices are still reasonable (apart from the 67II body and 105mm lens, which for me isn’t worth the money when the 90 is so good).

Fit a metered prism, handle and 105mm lens, and yes, they are heavier than a Hasselblad or Bronica SQ. But remove the handle, swap the prism for a WLF and fit the 90 or 45mm lens, and you can easily carry them all day. I usually keep the handle attached and carry mine in an F-Stop backpack.

Positives: Stunning image quality. Excellent and flexible lens selection (my favourites are 45, 55 f4, 90 and 165). Full system with macro tubes, bellows, different finders, shift lenses etc…you can do almost anything with it. The handle makes them a lot easier to hold than a Hasselblad (for me). Fast f2.8 lenses available at a reasonable price. I’ve owned four different bodies, and never had a single issue, despite one being an absolute beater which I only bought for the attached lens. Aftermarket panoramic kits turn it into a ‘big, cheap Xpan!’ :)

Negatives: Weight. No interchangeable film back (but neither do the Mamiyas or Plaubel)

For me, the only thing the Mamiya 6 and 7 beat the 67 on was the weight…and the 6 beat it on size when folded. The Mamiya lenses may technically be higher resolution, but I didn‘t see a difference when scanning or in the enlarger, so it’s irrelevant to me. Ditto my 67 vs Hasselblad Zeiss negatives.

I’ve hand-held shots at 1/30 loads of times, and I recall one at 1/15 (inside a submarine factory!) I’ve always come away with perfectly useable negatives. Rubbish photos, but great negatives! :p Holding the 67 against the stomach with a WLF attached is the way to go. I doubt it would work as well with the prism at eye level.

Note: ‘6x7’ is a bit of a misnomer. The negatives are 56mm x 70mm, I.e. 4x5 ratio, so they’re perfect for printing on standard papers.

If you want a camera to potter around on holiday with, I’d advise against the 67 (although I‘ve done that with mine, it wasn’t ideal). If I want medium format when walking around a city all day, I take a Rollei TLR because they’re only 900-1100g. I’ve never owned the Plaubel so can’t comment, but they look perfect as a lightweight medium format travel camera. Then again, you lose the flexibly and need to be careful with the bellows.

It’s always a tricky trade-off with medium format. You always have to compromise.

Ok I want to get into some "portable" medium format again.
If I were going back to 120 formats, valuing portability as I do, I'd be looking at a TLR.

I used a Pentacon Six for a couple of years and that was more than heavy enough. By the time I stuck a prism on the top and a 180mm on the front I felt like a weight lifter in training! When I looked at the Pentax 67, I was surprised to find how much heavier it was than the Pentacon.

Back