Pentax DA*300mm or Sigma 150-500mm or leave Pentax totally

Edit My Images
No
Currently have a Pentax K10D and looking to either change out completely to Nikon or Canon or stay with Pentax (only have the kit lens and a Tamron 70-200?). I am looking to do motorsport and nature, especially after a recent trip to the Isle of Mull. The Pentax is limited in the lens area. Just been reading about the Pentax DA*300mm (or even the DA* 200m and maybe a teleconvertor) and Sigma 150-500 and wondered if either if these would be enough to keep me with Pentax. Reviews seem to be varied and hence the reason for considering Nikon/Canon as there is a much greater availability of lens hardware (at a cost) but thought I would ask opinions here before I decided which way to go

thanks for any input

I left Pentax for Nikon a while back for a similar reason, I was using K20d and had the Sigma 100-300 f4 lens. Now this was a good combination though I wished I had gone for the 300 rather than the 100-300 as I almost only ever used the long end.

However as i started to do more wildlife I wanted a 500mm lens. As Pentax had nothing to offer at the time I looked at Canon and Nikon and decided on Nikon for the sole reason that the 500 was a couple of grand cheaper at the time and similar specs. So I went with the D300s and the 500 f4.

Not at all dissapointed with my choice to leave Pentax but be warned I have since spent thousands more on a D800 and other lenses and equipment.
Non of this is negative to Pentax which I think make great lenses and good bodies.

sigma stuff has high variation i think, but a good one is really good :), tamron do some decent long lenses too

i think zoom wise the oems tend to stop at 400mm, so 70-100 start, 400 max

I moved to Pentax for the sole reason of the DA*50-135 2.8, I fell in love with the lens and cannot find anything to better it.. since then I have gelled with the Pentax system and find it really works with my way of thinking.. you get great spec for the money. main gripe I had with Pentax is when using flash, they are definately behind canikon on that score but I worked out the little exposure comp tweaks and I get it pretty spot on nowadays.

I moved to Pentax for the sole reason of the DA*50-135 2.8, I fell in love with the lens and cannot find anything to better it.

All of the DA* lenses are very good but the 50-135mm really is something special. I originally bought into the Canon system for the MP-E macro lens and have since built up a nice selection of L lenses but I still cannot bring myself to get rid of my Pentax gear and infact 90% of the time I will pick up the K-5II over the 7D.

I do wish they would bring out a 100-400mm (or similar) though, I use the Sigma 50-500mm OS and it gives great results but would love to see a weather resistant long range zoom from Pentax.

One of Pentax's biggest selling points is affordable camera's with weather sealing as standard + in body anti shake technology, the DA 300 F4 is fully weather sealed as well according to Pentax.

To get the same level of sealing from Canon or Nikon you need to move up to their pro ranges.

I would consider upgrading within the Pentax range and get the 300mm, it could also be used with a 1.4x convertor to take you to close to 400mm if you needed any more reach and maybe add the 200mm F2.8 at a later date.

I have the DA*300 and Sigma 150-500. Both are superb on my K-5.

Let me let you into a little secret - check SRS website the PK-AF fit 150-500 is much cheaper than the Nikkor fit variant.

I also have the Nikkor 300 f4 - although it's not AF-S it is quicker focussing than the Pentax, but I find the Pentax sharper.

The DA*60-250 f4 is a magnificent lens also.

Have you actually considered getting the K-5ii to replace the K10D - you might find the AF has improved substantially since the K10D was introduced in 2006. I'd suggest looking at the K-5ii and 150-500.

All of the DA* lenses are very good but the 50-135mm really is something special.

I do wish they would bring out a 100-400mm (or similar) though, I use the Sigma 50-500mm OS and it gives great results but would love to see a weather resistant long range zoom from Pentax.

Is it (100-400mm) on their latest lens chart for release in 2014?

Back