Pentax K1000 and Smartflash?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I just had a brainstorm. Would my old Pentax K1000 work with my Lencarta Smartflash?

I can't see why not, Smartflash has a sync-port doesn't it? Suppose you just need the appropriate cable.

Anyone know what cable I would need?

You should be able to use the radio trigger, but the sync cable that came with the Smartflash will work too

Ok thanks.

Have tried it and it works!

Before I burn through loads of film, how do I set the light meter for the lights. I'd like to take a portrait. Would it be possible to use my D3200 as a light meter?

Before I burn through loads of film, how do I set the light meter for the lights. I'd like to take a portrait. Would it be possible to use my D3200 as a light meter?

That's what I tend to do. Shoot "proofs" on digital first to get it looking right before switching to film.

Do you mean you can set your digital to replicate your film camera?

I generally set up the lights, set the digital camera to the same ISO as the film, take a digi shot. Adjust aperture, light power/distance etc to get a good exposure, then set my film camera to the same settings.

I'm sure professionals use lightmeters etc, but they've been doing it far longer than me and I don't want to waste film practising for the small amount of flash portraiture I do.

Edit to add - all my portrait work has requirements for digital files, so I'm generally shooting with digital as well as film. Digi for them, film for me.

I'm thinking of buying a slide scanner, to scan the negs. And also all my old b&w negs from years ago. Some, I never got around to printing from. Have you tried that?

I don't shoot digital for fun any more so have a couple of decent scanners for my film stuff. A Plustek 8100 for 35mm and a V550 for medium format.

The problem with shooting film "on a budget" is that the results can be quite poor which then puts people off. My suggestion would be to get a second hand decent scanner rather than spend "a few quid" on something cheap and nasty. DSLR scanning is also an alternative. @ChrisR has a very informative thread on scanning here.

Back