Pentax or Nikon?

Edit My Images
No
For christmas i'm planning to get a Digital SLR, but my dad already has many pentax lenses - and the camera I had my eye on was a Nikon D80. He says he will happily buy the Nikon but some money will have to be donated from me - but the pentax he will buy for free, as he already has lenses..

Which in your personal opinions is the better camera, or which should I get? I am just beginning with photography, but I have many friends and people who have offered to help if I take an interest in it.

All comments are appreciated. :]

I guess it's the age old advice, try them both and go with what feels most comfortable in your hand and gives you what you're looking for in a camera.

Being a Canon user I can't give you any advice over lens ranges build quality etc. but I'm sure there's very little to choose.

For christmas i'm planning to get a Digital SLR, but my dad already has many pentax lenses - and the camera I had my eye on was a Nikon D80. He says he will happily buy the Nikon but some money will have to be donated from me - but the pentax he will buy for free, as he already has lenses..

Which in your personal opinions is the better camera, or which should I get? I am just beginning with photography, but I have many friends and people who have offered to help if I take an interest in it.

All comments are appreciated. :]

I have the pentax K10D, and I prefer it to the Nikon D80, another camera I was looking at.
I prefered the K10D, because it felt like a camera.
My advice, go down, with your dad, and have a play with both cameras, see which YOU prefer.

Ask dad if his Pentax lenses were expensive really good ones, as if not, buying a Pentax to use them would be daft - all modern cameras are fine to great, but one important factor on quality you can't escape is the glass you put on them

Well unless there turns out to be something you really don't like about the Pentax, I wouldn't even look at the Nikon.

A ready made and FREE lens collection is a huge factor and frankly, way bigger than the body you have. :)

I think you'd be daft to pass up the chance of using your dads lenses if they are quality ones.

I think you'd be daft to pass up the chance of using your dads lenses if they are quality ones.

Absolutely - you can't pass on good glass unless you're an ass :D

[that's because donkeys don't take photos btw (y)]

Echo others comments - good glass is the key, all the available bodies are good now & it's the lens that makes the biggest difference

Just as an aside I own the Samsung GX10, which is a complete clone of the Pentax K10D - great cameras. It might be worth comparing the GX10 / K10D body prices !!

simon

Back