Pentax smc DA 12-24, impressions anyone?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm starting to think about buying a new lens for my K10D to compliment the Kit Lens (18-55). I am quite a fan of "Wide Angle" type shots so I had narrowed it down to either the Sigma 10-20, which gets a lot of love, or the Pentax 12-24.

The Pentax lens gets good reviews but is a lot more money than the Sigma...is the Pentax worth nearly double the price??

I don't mind paying the going rate for the Pentax but only if it justifies it.

I'd love to hear any comments from current (or past) users of the Pentax Lens.

Thanks,
Mark Morb

As a past user the biggest difference you are likely to see is in build quality. The Pentax will give superior lens perfomance at the widest aperture although as most people use wide angle lenses stopped down in practice this will not be noticable.

If looked after, the Sigma will be fine, however the Pentax will take more rough and tumble.

After sales Pentax are superb (for my sins I have been a frequent user of their service dept),

£250 at Onestop digital. for the Sigma(y)

That's a good price on the Sigma, almost half the price of the Pentax. Even by buying a couple of top of the line 77mm Hoya filters (UV and CPL) it will still be quite a bit lower than the Pentax....my finger is hovering over the buy button

:)

Build quality shouldn't (hopefully) be too much of an issue, I always try my hardest to look after things.

YUM 10mm
2201649571_2372c9c34a.jpg

Back