Pentland Hills Reflection

Name
Dougie
Edit My Images
Yes
I was up the Pentlands again on Sunday experimenting with filters and quite liked this one.

5530350808_1feaa2b215_b.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

Cheers, Dougie

Very good,

have you tried a grad filter for the sky and a polariser for the water at the same time?

really nice - where was that exactly?

Very good,

have you tried a grad filter for the sky and a polariser for the water at the same time?

Yes I did but the colour cast was quite bad - maybe that was the Cokins -or maybe it was me! I'm thinking of trying Hitechs - anyone here had experience of them? I'll maybe post one with the two filters later.

really nice - where was that exactly?

It's at Glencorse Reservoir. Park near the Flotterstone Inn - there's a visitor centre there - and just follow the track up the hill - fantastic walking area.

Thanks

Great image :clap:

It's at Glencorse Reservoir. Park near the Flotterstone Inn - there's a visitor centre there - and just follow the track up the hill - fantastic walking area.

Thanks

Must pay a visit - looks lovely.

I see what you mean.

I saw an image similar to your 1st and the water was clear, the guy said he had used a polariser on the water and a grad for the sky. Sounded a great idea but I've never tried it.

Yes I did but the colour cast was quite bad - maybe that was the Cokins -or maybe it was me! I'm thinking of trying Hitechs - anyone here had experience of them? I'll maybe post one with the two filters later.
Thanks

The Hitechs are good Dougie. I would rate them better than Cokin for controlling colour cast in these kind of conditions.
Fairly cheap for a set of 3 ND grads too - approx £35 posted from Formatt.

The Hitechs are good Dougie. I would rate them better than Cokin for controlling colour cast in these kind of conditions.
Fairly cheap for a set of 3 ND grads too - approx £35 posted from Formatt.

Thanks Stuart - think I'll give them a try. Do you know if would I need the 85mm or 100mm ones for the Canon 10-22mm? The difference in price seems quite a lot and I can't seem to see a cheap holder for the 100mm ones anywhere - only for the 85mm?

Dougie

for the 10-22 you would need the 100mm to prevent vignetting when shooting at the ultra wide end.

That's what I wasn't really wanting to hear! Any idea how far down I would get with the 10-22mm with a Cokin wide angle single filter holder as that would probably do me? I've read some people say about 11 or 12mm and others say there's no problem at 10mm so it's just knowing what to go for really. Like I said, the difference in cost between the 85mm and 100mm set up is huge. I'll maybe start a thread on it...? :LOL:

I got a cheap filter holder from ebay and cut the front two slots off it, leaving only the one - used it like that a few times with my Sigma 10-20mm and no vignetting, even at 10mm....

Beautiful scene but this shot shows what I really don't like about filters and why I rarely use them. The reflection is very near to the same brightness as the direct view and just looks wrong to me.

There is a bit of halo on the mountain and the trees on the right so I guess you've done some processing. Was the cloud on the right that dark as that looks a little muted like it has had its brightness edited.

Nice composition but not a processing/capture style that appeals to me.

I got a cheap filter holder from ebay and cut the front two slots off it, leaving only the one - used it like that a few times with my Sigma 10-20mm and no vignetting, even at 10mm....

Thanks Derek. I was actually looking at the normal and wide angle Cokin P holders in Jacobs today and I did notice that the normal one looked like it would be narrower, with the front two slots cut off, than the 'wide angle' one so I'll certainly give that a go. Cheers for that (y)

Beautiful scene but this shot shows what I really don't like about filters and why I rarely use them. The reflection is very near to the same brightness as the direct view and just looks wrong to me.

There is a bit of halo on the mountain and the trees on the right so I guess you've done some processing. Was the cloud on the right that dark as that looks a little muted like it has had its brightness edited.

Nice composition but not a processing/capture style that appeals to me.

Thanks for the comments Robert. Like I said, I was just experimenting as I've never really used ND filters much before. Obviously there was a wee bit of processing - you don't get weather that perfect in Scotland in March! Cheers.

Very nice. How have you managed to get the cloud reflection in the water different to the sky?

Nice, I'm actually going to that very Reservoir this weekend with a Canon 10-22mm!! Spookey!

Look forward to seeing the shots next week! Do you use square filters on the 10-22 by any chance? If so, what holder do you use?

Very nice. How have you managed to get the cloud reflection in the water different to the sky?

Magic...!

Cheers

Hi Dougie. Must say that the shots are perfect.
Very nice.

Yes I did but the colour cast was quite bad - maybe that was the Cokins -or maybe it was me! I'm thinking of trying Hitechs - anyone here had experience of them?

Depends on the camera. For me Hi-Techs=Blue cast, Cokins=Magenta cast. They're both rubbish compared to Lees. Kood, depsite being made of tissue paper, are actually more neutral than both Cokin and Hi-Tech.

Nice shot though.

its a slight shame about the bubbles/froth on the water - but not that it matters if i had that in canvas on my wall i'd be a happy man!

This is lovely Dougie, howcome the cloud (top right) is pinky?

Thanks. Think it's a mixture of the Cokin ND Grad, the circular polarizer....oh and me being c**p at Photoshop! ;)

its a slight shame about the bubbles/froth on the water - but not that it matters if i had that in canvas on my wall i'd be a happy man!

Yes, I thought about trying to remove them but changed my mind! Too much work!

Cheers guys :)

Depends on the camera. For me Hi-Techs=Blue cast, Cokins=Magenta cast. They're both rubbish compared to Lees. Kood, depsite being made of tissue paper, are actually more neutral than both Cokin and Hi-Tech.

Nice shot though.

Thanks Chris. Interesting about the Koods cause I was looking at them on the Premier Inks site and they make the same claim about the colour casts. Presume you've used the Kood's before then?

Presume you've used the Kood's before then?

I was thrashing around looking for an affordable replacement for my Lees after I'd trashed them and tested all three brands and, yes, the Koods performed the best although the holders and other ephemera were quite plasticy and fragile. Looked after I'm sure they'd serve you well and I'm quite happy to use them for teaching. An interesting side-affect of thier flimsy manufacture is the fact that they also aberrate less than either the Hi-Tech or Cokin.

I was thrashing around looking for an affordable replacement for my Lees after I'd trashed them and tested all three brands and, yes, the Koods performed the best although the holders and other ephemera were quite plasticy and fragile. Looked after I'm sure they'd serve you well and I'm quite happy to use them for teaching. An interesting side-affect of thier flimsy manufacture is the fact that they also aberrate less than either the Hi-Tech or Cokin.

Thanks for the very useful info Chris. Are you using the 85mm or 100mm type? And what type of holder?

Cheers, Dougie

Just be aware that your angle of view is important. If you're shooting below, say, 15mm - genuine wideangle - then the square nature of the Koods can be a limitation as there is a limits as to how far you can adjust the vertical penetration of the filter into the shot before their edge comes into the shot. That's a genuine advantage of the 150x100 filters that Cokin, Hi-Tech and Lee do. Greater vertical flexibility.

Just be aware that your angle of view is important. If you're shooting below, say, 15mm - genuine wideangle - then the square nature of the Koods can be a limitation as there is a limits as to how far you can adjust the vertical penetration of the filter into the shot before their edge comes into the shot. That's a genuine advantage of the 150x100 filters that Cokin, Hi-Tech and Lee do. Greater vertical flexibility.

Ah! Have to think about that one then? I've also noticed that the Lee adaptor rings for the 77mm come in two models - standard and wide angle - do you use/need the wide angle model? (I'll be using the Canon 10-22mm most of the time)

Just notice on Crooked Imaging site that his 100mm Kood NDs are 100 x 125mm? Are these different from the ones you've got? Link:

No, I think you're right Dougie. They're the ones I've got. I did the tests last year and felt quite strongly at the time that they just weren't long enough for wideangle, which is probably why I've got this false memory of them being square. But at that price it's worth a pop to see if they work for you.

Back