People Of Peru (Added original unedited version)

Name
Mat
Edit My Images
Yes
It's been a while since I posted anything so thought I would trawl through some old travel shots from a couple of years ago.

I knew even less about photography then than I do now, which is fairly hard to believe seeing as I still know bugger all. But armed with a shiny second hand Canon 350D and kit lens (the first camera I'd held for about 15 years!) I got lucky with the odd shot. Having vaguely read the manual on the plane out I used the age old method of taking millions of pictures on the basis that at least ONE has to come out ok.. surely. That and Canon's 'magic' green square numpty setting doing most of the work...

Anyway these two I rather liked.

Old people in Peru like to carry stuff. Men usually opt for hay and wizened old crones tend to carry shed loads of enormous logs. This chap caught me sneaking a photo and was wily enough to charge me for the privilege :)

PeoplePeru200k.jpg

Somehow we got caught up in a religious festival that seemed to involve the entire town and as I pushed my way through the crowd this little girl appeared. I keep thinking that the image would look better with a tighter crop.. but then you lose the sense that she is hemmed in by people.

PeoplePeru2200k.jpg

Last edited:
Perfect B&W material there IMHO but can't help but wonder what the colour image would have looked like(y)

It does appear a bit low-contrast but I have not sorted out this screen of mine for a while so please do not pay too much attention to that.

I understand what you are saying about the girl being hemmed in but personally I would have cropped tight and also would have shot from her level:shrug:(y)

PS, how much did you have to fork out?

Last edited:
You might well be right about the contrast. I haven't any real idea what i'm doing in photoshop, I just move sliders around until I vaguely like what I see...

But just for you, here is the unedited colour version, which no doubt shows up exactly what a bad photographer i am! As to the girl I was practically standing on my wifes shoulders just to get a glimpse of the girl and even then we were at risk of being trampled to death! But point taken it would have looked much better from her point of view...

Note to self: Must risk life in order to get better photo's...

I think he charged me a whopping 2 soles.. which I think is about 50p and in truth I would have paid much more than that just for the novelty of being shaken down by an old bloke in a haystack.

Hayman200k.jpg

Very nice stuff there,

I went to peru last month and got some spectacular photos from there as well.

The people are so amazing aren't they?

Definitely mate. in fact all over South America we met some of the friendliest folks we have ever met. Whether that be in a jungle village 200km up the Amazon, 5000m up the side of a volcano or in Ecuador's capital city. Speaking of which I would go back to Peru or Ecuador in a shot. The really nice thing for me was that although the people are poor there is generally a sense of looking forward and building for the future...

a feeling that i didn't get in other parts of the world.

Wonderful wonderful place..... beers cheap too :)

Thanks for the colour image. (y)

Understand what you say about risking your life, when masses of people start moving they won't notice you before the first 200 have already trampled you:naughty:

Playing around in Photoshop is the best way to go about it really but I suspect that your lack of photographic skills is surpassed by your lack of watch reading skills.

You must have photographed this man very close to midday, which is mostly a horrible time to photograph justabout anything.

I understand that time is not an unlimited luxury when you travel in a foreign country but do try not to photograph anything, say, between 10:00 and 15:00

Cheers

It is true what you say, the sun was incredibly harsh but then when your smack on the equator it almost always is...

I wonder how much he would have charged to hang around until dusk...

however.. advice taken. Midday sun to be avoided. Thank you for the tips mate :)

Back