People photography help please

Edit My Images
Yes
Guys and girls
I'm off to the Goodwood Revival in September of which I'm looking forward to, as this event will have full on vintage racing and WWII aircraft flying displays which I'm ok with. However I'm not so good at people photography and I'd like some tips and hints as I know there will be loads of people getting into the spirit of things by dressing to the period of the event.

My problem is that as soon as I start poking my lens at people my confidence vanishes faster than a woman spending money.

Any tips, hints, advice very much welcomed.

Simple .... just go for it!

If people are dressing up they'll be expecting to have a camera in their face!

I've done several renactments covering various periods in history over the last three years - not one complaint. In fact, take some business cards with you, I've been asked several times if I could supply some prints!

A medium telephoto to seperate you from the subject is a good confidence booster.... 1/2 hour and you'll be in with a wide-angle.... :LOL:

Chuckles is right, they are dressing up, so photographing them is likely to be a pleasant experience.

Don't be too obtrusive just compose, snap, smile and say thanks (if they notice you). Just keep doing it. Eventually the more shots you take the more comfortable you will be doing it.

Take some business cards, as chuckles said, and that way if anyone asks who you are, who you work for, just say "Oh I work for myself" or some such, and offer them a business card.

Start with the telephoto, but try and keep it at the wider end, and eventually you'll be so used to it you won't even notice :D

A hearty tip though...don't try and stand 300meteres down the road, trying to hide the fact that you're taking a photo. It will convey in your body language etc, and makes you *look* dodgy, even when you aren't.

Just try and be confident. You're there to take pics, that's all, there's nothing sinister or wrong with it, so don't be afraid, embarassed or ashamed.

Back