Perfecting the studio - SOOC (warning - Hilite, kids & teddies!)

Name
Ruth
Edit My Images
Yes
I haven't posted any photos for ages so am adding it to my New Year resolutions.

I have a couple of weeks until my next shoot and am keen to tweak my lighting set up to get as much right in camera as possible, all C&C very much appreciated.

The photo is for lighting testing only (the pose is for my daughters bday invites - teddy bears picnic - bit tacky but hey ho)

Using a Hilight (2 lights), key light and fill

1) Straight out of camera
IMG_5839_SOOC_TP.jpg

2) Bit of PP
IMG_5837_TP.jpg

Thank you (y)

Last edited:
Your PP skills are amazing.... You've changed the position of the child & some teddies ;-)

Others may say different but the lighting looks spot on to me on the PP'd version. I really like

sorry being dumb here.

Four lights in total?

Yes, two for BG one as main or key light and the other for fill.

They definitely benefit from a little PP but they usually do using the Hi-lite. Are you using the Lastolite one?

Your PP skills are amazing.... You've changed the position of the child & some teddies ;-)

Others may say different but the lighting looks spot on to me on the PP'd version. I really like

:D Vinny! It was the facial expression that took the most time to PP :LOL:
Thanks for comment re: lighting, I've been at this 3 years now and am finally at the point of tweaking rather than panicking!

sorry being dumb here.

Four lights in total?

Yep! Matt answered for me! Google the Lastolite Hilite if you've not seen it before, I use two lights in that (although looking at the SOOC shot, I need to get them better balanced)

Yes, two for BG one as main or key light and the other for fill.

They definitely benefit from a little PP but they usually do using the Hi-lite. Are you using the Lastolite one?

Yes the 6x7 Lastolite. I put a thin sheet in front of the Hilite, to produce a infinity curve type thingy (technical speak there!), then put vinyl on top of the sheet on the floor which is what she's sitting on (if that makes any sense :wacky:).

If I'm doing a close up of the face I need very little (if any) PP on the background, it's only if the floor is in shot.

Sorry, that was me posting. Didn't realise hubby was logged in instead. I'll never get my post count up this way :)

Great pictures and the lighting although a touch flat for my taste works 100% with this style. These are the kind of pictures that mum's buy so nice work.

Thanks Marcus

I completely understand your comment about the lighting. It's taken ages to get to the point where a toddler can be anywhere in the studio and the lighting be about the same - that's the way I like to work, with kids being able to be themselves & do a bit of exploring. However, it does mean the lighting is pretty flat.

Back