Perseid Meteor Shower

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks

A little early I know but maybe about know is the time to start planning any meets for the Perseid meteor shower on August 11-14 this year:)

Anyone got any locations they would like to share or arrange a meet?

As I live in Gloucester, I will probably try somewhere like The Rollright Stones, Broadway Tower or even Chesterton Windmill for some nice foreground detail.

Anyhow - lets try to get something sorted:)

I will be on Tiree 12th - 15th Aug, what direction will I need to look please and what times?

Heather

I posted a similar thread when I first joined but I think I rambled on more about star trails , I wish I could join you as I really want to try capture something from them this year - every year I watch them but being near to London I cant turn all the lights off ! If anyone is nearer this direction and would like to meet I would like to join in ? - you are very lucky with the locations you have mentioned too :)

Hi Julian :) providing I'm back up and running and the clear skies are around then I'm certainly going to be on this and I'll be looking at the same kind of locations as yourself, done a couple of broadway tower night time ones already this year :)

Hi Julian :) providing I'm back up and running and the clear skies are around then I'm certainly going to be on this and I'll be looking at the same kind of locations as yourself, done a couple of broadway tower night time ones already this year :)

You know you want to - how's the recovery going?

Im glad i spotted this! This is something ill be looking into doing! I can get right up onto the tops of Yorkshire at ogden windmills so i should get a huge clear sky up there! Given the weather is good..

Which direction should i be facing with the camera to capture a decent sky?

The direction where the meteors come from (constellation Perseus) obviously changes as the night moves on. Rises NE below the 'W' of Cassiopeia when the sky darkens 10pm and much later in the night (pre-dawn) wil be high in the E.

However any meteors seen in Perseus will be seen almost head-on not spectacular! Aim 50deg away from Perseus (say left to Polaris / North Celestial Pole or right to Square of Pegasus) and the streaks will be much longer.

Obviously a good deal of luck is required. I have very few images over quite a few years of trying, though some years have been cloudy! The Moon is well out of the way so skies will be dark. B setting of a few minutes on ISO 400 35mm film or for digital cameras 10-30sec should avoid light pollution.

Post any images here

PS there are also other active showers like k-Cygnids which will come from roughly overhead through Pegasus and Capricornids which appear to come from near the horizon. You have to track the path back to see which shower .. and also hope you don't catch a plane or satellite as well! Good luck

Anyone out tonight?

Supposed to be the peak tonight and also should be clear (ish):)

Looks like cloud clearing for much the country. I took 200 images of 15sec on Friday over 1h 40m and I think one of the streaks was from the right direction. The other 6 probably satellites as some continued onto subsequent image. Just terrible light pollution in Bristol. Good luck

Back