Personal cloud with SD slot

Andrew Moore

Suspended / Banned
Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Personal cloud with SD slot!

Now I know WD at one point made a 500Gb-2tb portable HDD with battery and SD slot. This would mean any photos taken could be added to the drive via an SD slot and automated to create a folder.

This is useful as it means I can then easily choose the folder from the personal “cloud” within apps like Affinity Photo.

Now comes the problem. WD don’t make it anymore and I am trying to move to iPad only and to ditch my laptop and computer is yesteryear.

Does anyone know if WD, Seagate etc make a device like this any more? I don’t want to have to pay for a 1TB OneDrive and if I did I would need to keep the laptop to drop files to it which makes the whole exercise of buying OneDrive pointless.

Suggested Products or solutions would be superb!

HP microserver type idea with HDDs and freenas would be a LAST resort.

Thanks for the link, I had looked at those sort of things but the price was a little bit high so swiftly moved on.

Ive just however managed to locate the new SKU by WD. Anywhere from about £140 to £230 depending on size (ie 1tb to 4tb) so at the top end of the scale and to be found for £213.44 I cant complain. Thats a lot of storage, a personal cloud and the facility to back up on the go which is fantastic!

I think Ill be investing in one of those come pay day and will probably get a review of sorts up because at that price it almost looks too good to be true. 4TB without any intelligence is usually around £120 so that gives me a big power bank to charge an ipad or iphone or camera off of, a cloud of my own and a means of easily backing up on the go with the SD slot for a smidge under £100. Not bad all all really!

Not seen the WD 'My Passport Wireless Pro' before. It looks interesting.

Dave

Thanks for the link, I had looked at those sort of things but the price was a little bit high so swiftly moved on.

Ive just however managed to locate the new SKU by WD. Anywhere from about £140 to £230 depending on size (ie 1tb to 4tb) so at the top end of the scale and to be found for £213.44 I cant complain. Thats a lot of storage, a personal cloud and the facility to back up on the go which is fantastic!

I think Ill be investing in one of those come pay day and will probably get a review of sorts up because at that price it almost looks too good to be true. 4TB without any intelligence is usually around £120 so that gives me a big power bank to charge an ipad or iphone or camera off of, a cloud of my own and a means of easily backing up on the go with the SD slot for a smidge under £100. Not bad all all really!

It’s excellent. I use one when travelling, 10-15 mins to back up a 64gb sd card- nicely saved by individual sd card reference and incremental backup

Dave

Bought one whilst in New York on Wednesday :) 3tb $180.

It has a rechargeable battery that will last 10 hours, stick your sd card in and hey presto. You can also add files via its own WiFi network and, the thing that impressed me most was this flow.

SD card ———> WD ———> iPhone so I could download the images from the drive onto my phone with no fuss!

Very pleased. The 3TB was $4 more than the 1TB version. No brainer.

Dave
Bought one specially for trip to SE Asia and Australia and found it very good. At end of day plugged SD card in and left it to auto backup, never had a problem and will definitely continue using it.

Back