Perspex

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I know this isn't about lighting so I apologize for that.
Posting here as I assume lots of you have used it at one time or another.
I bought a sheet some time last year and only just used it.
I'm finding the reflection is not that clear and the perspex looks blueish when lite.
Course that's easy to fix.
Nevertheless I just did some Googling and realised that most folk were using 2mm thick perspex, mine is much thicker !

I am using a black velvet sheet under the perspex.

Would that be my problem ?
Is it advisable to use thinner ?

Gaz

It needs to be thin, because even with a thin material you'll get a double reflection, and the thicker it is, the more obvious it is.
There may be additional problems caused by camera height and lighting position, but if you post a photo we may be able to work that out.

Thanks Garry. I'll pick a thin sheet up.
Just didnt want to waste my money if not needed.

Gaz

I use black perspex. It's completely opaque which avoids the double reflection problem.

I use black perspex. It's completely opaque which avoids the double reflection problem.
I use a stainless steel mirror... it's whatever color the BG is and gives very strong reflections regardless of it's apparent color (too strong sometimes); it also costs a good bit more.
Yes, both of these are much better solutions. I used to use a large circular black glass table top, courtesy of a skip. This created softer reflections and was also totally flat, and could take an enormous weight.

An old picture, and not the best, but hopefully it gives a fair idea, you can see the fairly subtle reflections of her feet
I used it a lot for product photography but probably don't have any examples now, I also have some other examples that I won't post because they're NSFW - in case anyone is still at work . .beam.jpg.

I use a stainless steel mirror... it's whatever color the BG is and gives very strong reflections regardless of it's apparent color (too strong sometimes); it also costs a good bit more.

It's also fireproof :)

Thanks for the continuing advice.

I apreciate it very much.

Gaz

Back