Pfsense advice please, it's bugging me now!

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I changed my router from Sophos to Pfsense to enable the 2 xbox ones in the house to both get open NAT using Upnp. This I have done, both are open according to the xbox tests/reports.

I am having an annoying problem with COD Black Ops 3 though in that only the first xbox to connect can play online. The other then fails to connect and can only 'play local'.
Tha network options in COD report NAT as open too.

Any ideas?

I think it may be down to udp port 3075 being required by COD.

Other games work fine when both are being played simultaneously, Destiny, Fifa, Titanfall etc. I have also taken my xbox to work and not had an issue when it was on a different network, this was to ensure no license or xbox account issue so I know that's not the problem (we are using the xbox Home setup)

Any help would be greatfully received.

Paul.

No, not NAT'ing anything really for the Xbox's. I have set up Upnp to deny by default then have some rules to allow a port range for the xbox's (2 separate allow rules - one for each IP).

What's annoying is that if I set it up to give the second xbox strict NAT then COD reports the NAT as strict and asks for udp port 3075 to be opened, but I have it set so that both xbox's are open NAT and COD see's both as open but will not connect on the second xbox to try (both work independently).
The other thing it maybe is I have both xbox IP's set to static ports so maybe if port 3075 is being used COD is not flexible enough to use a different port like other games do.

I'm on virgin media, the superhub is not very good, putting it mildly. You can either block all traffic they decide is not suitable for a child for everyone or allow all traffic to everyone. Sophos/PFsense is a lot more flexible in that respect.

Outbound is not locked down just devices that want to connect using Upnp are denied automatic access to open any port they choose. I don't have many devices that use it so just ensure I can control what devices can use it. So the PC, laptops, phones and tablets are all connecting fine. The Sky TV box needed Upnp or a lot of port forwarding to allow On Demand etc.
I may take the Virgin Media superhub out of Modem mode to test it at some point, I'd hate to have to go back to using the thing as a router though.

I'm still thinking this may be down to the way the game has been coded or there's some weird configuration required to make it work, by weird I mean something that in theory should not make a difference but somehow does :)

Here's the answer from Activision:

"To achieve the best connection when playing Call of Duty games online, it is recommended that users set port forwarding on their router to the IP address of their console or PC using port 3074 User Datagram Protocol (UDP) and Transmission Control Protocol (TCP).

If there is more than one console or PC used for gaming on your home network, you can redirect the second console or PC used for gaming to port 3075 UDP/TCP, a third console or PC used for gaming to port 3076, etc."

https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Ports-Used-for-Call-of-Duty-Games

The way you have it set up at the moment will only work with one console at a time.

Now, I do remember seeing that from Activision. I was direct messaging them on twitter last week. It may be worth a try again I guess, it seemed to push one of the xbox's into moderate/strict Nat as Microsoft put it.

I did a video for the Activision support guys, here's the link if you fancy taking a look, it shows both xbox's as open NAT but fails with COD
View: https://youtu.be/9t-iafDeEK4

Here's the answer from Activision:

"To achieve the best connection when playing Call of Duty games online, it is recommended that users set port forwarding on their router to the IP address of their console or PC using port 3074 User Datagram Protocol (UDP) and Transmission Control Protocol (TCP).

If there is more than one console or PC used for gaming on your home network, you can redirect the second console or PC used for gaming to port 3075 UDP/TCP, a third console or PC used for gaming to port 3076, etc."

https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Ports-Used-for-Call-of-Duty-Games

The way you have it set up at the moment will only work with one console at a time.

Gave that another go to check. It does force one xbox to strict NAT and does not seem to work.
The way I have it set up both Xbox Ones have open NAT. COD even see's the network as open NAT but will not allow both Xbox's to connect to their servers simultaneously.

All other games work fine and as expected, it's just COD that is refusing :-(

Back