Phantom power V battery

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm very new to video audio and have recently bought a Rode NTG2 shotgun microphone to use with my Zoom H1n recorder. l don't have Phantom power so only using the battery option. Can anyone in the know tell me if there is a difference in volume levels when using Phantom as l'm quite disappointed with the battery option?

Niel, I'm not terribly up on how sound recording interlocks with video work ,but I do record music ,so know a tiny bit about mics. To the best of my knowledge the battery or phantom power from the board( mic pre) don't make alot of difference . Very simply mic signals are small. the are boosted by somehing called a pre amp. Pre amp's are incredibly important as they make a small signal big and with that boost noise same as us boosting a singal in camera. So they can be incedibly pricey as their unique sound is valued and alot that ability to have a low noise floor.. Anyway on the recorder you have a pre and maybe on that pre there is a boost switch to deal with low signals from mics??

I'm a bit old skool,mainly usiing analogue bar digi keys and recorder. I'm also just making my first video, so as of yet haven't broached sound and how it's typicically used with camera work

Buddy why don't you have a chat with rhode, i've no contact info but some of the mic companies are incredibly helpful. Is there any data re outputs and phantom?

Mate it might be your expectations are too high ? ,I thought you would have a few more replies by now, but as it is you got me,sorry I can't be precise for ya bro, it's years since I used a mic like this,I don't remember any issuse but it's been a good while

stu

Thanks for the reply Stu. I bought the Rode NTG2 because it has it's own power and I will be mostly using it on the go, but there is a huge difference in levels between the Rode (on battery power) and the built in mics on the Zoom H1N. I was hoping to have had more replies before I buy one of these https://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium...MIs6_QtaSW6gIVUYuyCh20FwDFEAQYAiABEgJDAPD_BwE in case it made no difference.

Thanks for the reply Stu. I bought the Rode NTG2 because it has it's own power and I will be mostly using it on the go, but there is a huge difference in levels between the Rode (on battery power) and the built in mics on the Zoom H1N. I was hoping to have had more replies before I buy one of these https://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium...MIs6_QtaSW6gIVUYuyCh20FwDFEAQYAiABEgJDAPD_BwE in case it made no difference.

I am having a similar issue with NTG4+, with low sound levels, then having to up it in camera and getting hiss. From my understanding (and I may be wrong) that box will only supply the mic with power rather than using the internal battery, and won't affect the output levels, you will need a pre amp for that. I have asked for advice on this on another thread.

T

You welcome mate just wish I could be precise for you. My leanings are that you need a mic pre as with Tony's post above this @Tides..... Tony do you have a link to the other thread please?

Phantom provides electrical power to make certain types of mic work, there may be a difference in efficiency between the power from a battery and mains,BUT you are still dealing with a tiny signal. A mic pre boosts that signal ,so don't buy what you have linked until you are utterly sure of your facts, my leaning is simply it won't help and you are wasting your money ;) I can't stress how big a deal mic preamps are Neil they do a massive jod and are hugely responsible for sound quality and the nuances within that sound because there job is making that tiny signal big and one simply can't get away from the laws of physics. Boost a signal boost noise,just like underexposing an image in toggin'

Neil, some mics had a Db liimiter switch ,so one can tailor the sensitivity of the mic to the sound source,just a stab in the dark mate there isn't something like this is there on your new rode mic? , You are learniing like me ,it's so easy to overlook silly things until you really understand everything

Mate you'ld have to check that this linked item works with your mic, but it should I 'erm think :LOL: seems like a possible option I've been digging for you:), I guess you'll know whether 28Db is enough gain as you'll already know how much less the rode gives than the internal mics in recorder , you already have the phantom power via battery in mic so a little inline pre might just get you out of jail. Niel I actually replaced a couple of battery optional condensers with two SE large condensers. Fabulous gear mate,just in case you have concerns, ( they are a chinese company some folks worry) Also fantastic to deal with I had an issue they just sent a new mic and collected the old as they delivered,done next day too. So I can hand on heart recommend SE even though I haven't used this particular gizmo

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/se-electro...ViLPtCh2A8AlQEAQYBCABEgL2b_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

. Mate if you get a ll this sorted could you come back here and tell us please. i'm trying to make video of a vixen and cubs that come to our bird feeders at home. Trouble is my studio is along way from where they feed. so I have two options some form of portable recorder or a really long cable run,. So I'm deeply interested in all this even though the size of video files and editing is a bigger concern to me at this present time, I know sound is going to figure at some stage. My reality is that becuase of the music I have a fab pre made by focusrite capable of coping with long cable run's ,so I may well go that route and stick sommit nice mic wise on the end, but the field option is still of interest

all the luck

stu.

just finished writing to you buddy the above post might help . I'm as sure as I can be you both need a pre amp

lol he does send me to sl................. sure it might be a bit better i'm still not convinced it's the best option

i'm unsure, whether it needs phantom the word powering is vague. Neil I have always had access to phantom power , on every single channel on my mixing desk there is a mic pre 24of em all with phantom, I have various pre amps all with phantom, so I simply have never had the issue you have. i'd still speak to someone at rode, I guess if you get the right guy GAK. might help a guy that sells unless he is really into it often reads a box so he can give advice . A guy that made it will really know how it works !!

Update.. I had my setup checked out at a music store today on professional equipment and the results was the Rode NTG2 is working fine. One of my leads is of poor quality and loosing levels and the microphone input connector on the Zoom H1n seems dodgy and loosing levels. I've decided to send the recorder back for a refund and buy a Tascam DR-05X instead. Hope I'm doing the right thing.

Tascam have been making great recorders for ages !!

Buddy an aside.................................... have a look at a company called" studio spares". when I was more involved in music they had probably the most comprehensive range of cables...connectors out there,also a huge array of other stuff. sometimes with cables it's actually cheeper to get the iron out and make it sometimes it's the only way to find the exact lead you want,I think they do make up's lead wise too. they were always good price wise stella service. They might just be of use to you if they are still out there??

Buy good cables keep connectors like jacks spotlessly clean, it's easy to overlook these little things but every one can induce noise Neil i'm glad you are on the way to sorting this,mate you could have bought pre amps phantom power supplies anything and been stabbing in the dark

. all the luck

Tascam have been making great recorders for ages !!

Buddy an aside.................................... have a look at a company called" studio spares". when I was more involved in music they had probably the most comprehensive range of cables...connectors out there,also a huge array of other stuff. sometimes with cables it's actually cheeper to get the iron out and make it sometimes it's the only way to find the exact lead you want,I think they do make up's lead wise too. they were always good price wise stella service. They might just be of use to you if they are still out there??

Thanks Stu
I've just ordered the Tascam off them, cheaper than anywhere else, and making my own leads from now on.

Ahh cool that was worth a heads up then(y) the price was always good mate and I always always got great service. Nice to know they are still going

Neil if not already ordered and applicable go for nutrix connectors a bit more expensive but money well spent.

Back