Pheasant

Particularly like #6/8 but these are good enough for the bird section and tbf to them birders they are not that bad see my threads in there. Been treated fairly and got lots of good advice too.

Think they look loads better on Flickr... :D

Edit: think you may have been better to use a larger aperture to blur out the background more notice you have used f9 any reason for that?

Last edited:
Particularly like #6/8 but these are good enough for the bird section and tbf to them birders they are not that bad see my threads in there. Been treated fairly and got lots of good advice too.

Think they look loads better on Flickr... :D

Edit: think you may have been better to use a larger aperture to blur out the background more notice you have used f9 any reason for that?

Thanks Bryn. The f/9 is "explained" in the close-up and macro post. Basically I don't have a clue how to do bird shots. I set it to f/9 (or perhaps it was already on f/9 I don't remember) and ISO 400, and that gave nice fast shutter speeds, and then I concentrated on trying to get the shots (slight difficulty there, as described in the other post) and forgot about the aperture etc.

As it turns out it might have been, by chance, quite a good choice, because I think it may have been on the edge of getting all of the head in focus. I had to reject some shots because the beak was not sharp enough. If that was a DOF issue I imagine I would have got more of those with a larger aperture. But I don't know if it was a DOF issue; perhaps it was focus placement. I haven't examined the shots closely to try and analyse the situation. Another thing is that the bird was right in amongst the vegetation for a lot of the shots and I don't know if I would have got good separation for them no matter what aperture I used. Maybe I would. Like I said, I'm completely ignorant about this type of shot.

Back