Pheasants

Name
James (Retired)
Edit My Images
No
How can i stop a pheasant from jumping up & hitting my bird feeder & emptying the feeder,i even bought a squirrel resistant cage type but it still half empties the feeder every day.
If there is no way stopping it i think i will just get rid of the feeders as i am forever buying more seed,but i would love to keep them for the small birds.:):help:

Shoot it.o_O

I could not harm any animal or wildlife.:)

Ok, get me down to shoot it;)

:clap::agree::beer:

I don,t see that doing much good,i have watched this pheasant & it jumps up & hits the feeder sideways to make it swing & the seed falls out.
i have just bought this & it makes no difference.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111384157745

The problem is that the pheasants can get their heads into the anti squirrel feeders. I solved the issue by making a cage to hang the feeders in, make it large enough that they cannot reach the feeders through the cage. It also keeps greys out.

You could also rig some posts up with wire suspended and hang the feeders high up.

This is a very clever pheasant:)it jumps up with both feet & drop kicks the feeder to make it swing & the seed falls out.:eek:
I never thought putting up a couple of feeders would be this much trouble,i don,t want to make this any harder for me,so i will try one more thing & if that fails they will come down.:bat::runaway:

Can't you just use peanut feeders filled with peanuts? these wont fall out so easily as they are larger. It's what I have done with mine and I put some small seeds in to help the smaller birds. My problem is the F*****g greys as we back onto woodland.

My squirrel proof one seems to be working okay, I have the other ones hanging from our holly trees and our washing line. The greys cant do tightrope.

..they will suss it out. I hate the things with a passion, but admire their tenacity, begrudgingly.

What I have also done is fit the feeder to a round curtain ring so it slides very easily over the plastic covered wired washing line, which is about 5mm in diamater, so the birds even have a fair ground ride on it!:D

I watched a grey yesterday tring to get at it but it couldn't fathom how to get onto it, he tried climbing garden furniture etc but give up in the end. He'll be back though.

With the holly tree I have duct taped the feeder to the end of a small branch and when he gets at it he sometimes falls off as the branch is to thin. They are persistent buggers though and they don't give up to easy, although the dont bother with the squirrel prooof feeder now which has been up for nearly a year.

What I am seeing now is a high amount of sparrows, there's loads of them and they are very greedy and a barging the smaller birds (tits) of the feeders.

Can't you just use peanut feeders filled with peanuts? these wont fall out so easily as they are larger. It's what I have done with mine and I put some small seeds in to help the smaller birds. My problem is the F*****g greys as we back onto woodland.

My squirrel proof one seems to be working okay, I have the other ones hanging from our holly trees and our washing line. The greys cant do tightrope.
I have jackdaws who also devour a lot,but i think i have come up with a solution,what i have done is hang it as normal but now it is also sitting in the round metal mesh feeder so hopefully the pheasant can,t move it at all,living in hope.:):D

My cage is below, 50mm mesh, young greys get in, but If I make the mesh smaller GSWs cannot get in,so I have to live with that. Phessies can`t get at the feeders at all. Though I do chuck seed under the table, there is a pile of old branches under it, for birds that are not keen on feeders and also the field mice that live under the hide.

Grey proof feeder by www.wildlifenorthwest.co.uk, on Flickr

The things we go to, to help these small birds along. It's all fun though watching nature, even trying to out do the greys and pheasants in this instance.

Thanks for that fracster that looks brilliant.:)

The things we go to, to help these small birds along. It's all fun though watching nature, even trying to out do the greys and pheasants in this instance.
I love watching the small birds.:)

Thanks for that fracster that looks brilliant.:)
Just get a sheet of well mesh off ebay and make the cage, centre support is a piece of ally tube with slots cut in it so that the mesh clamps it.

Anything plastic gets chewed. I had two of those really heavy duty pvc bins with the feed in, took the greys over a year to chew into them, but they did. I now have two steel tubs with the clamping lids,buggers won`t chew into them.

If I want to photograph the small birds, I plan it so that the feeders are damned near empty, move the cage and put natural looking feeders on the table.

Fracster has alluded to what could be a solution - feed the pheasant on the ground. Adult pheasants will eat and can cope with peanuts, which are a cheaper than other seeds.

Dave

Go to your local animal feed place and get a bag of "mixed grain", cost about £12 for 25kgs, people buy it for poultry,cheap enough to feed the pheasants with.

Thanks guys,i will see if i have solved it now,hopefully.:):D

Thanks guys,i will see if i have solved it now,hopefully.:):D
keep us up to date bud. Anything that helps the greedy sods from scoffing all the food should be shared.

Okey dokey:):D

The Pheasants here along with a pair of Mallard just hang around below the feeders and hoover up what the small birds chuck out,they stare up with anticipation and pounce on every morsel, the feeders are too high for them to jump up to, they used to jump up on a mesh dish lower down and reach from there but I moved it.

They are cheeky little beggars.:)

I just go into B&M when i am passing,they are cheap.:)

Costco have mixed bird seed 25kg for £6

There are plenty to choose from i suppose if you shop around.:)

how high up is your feeder if the pheasant can jump to kick it

can you not put it higher or put a 2"x2" post in the ground and screw the feeder on to it so it cant sway side to side

Well i think the feeders are about 6ft. high,if i put them any higher i won,t reach them,but i think i have sorted it now,i hope.:):D

Fracster has alluded to what could be a solution - feed the pheasant on the ground. Adult pheasants will eat and can cope with peanuts, which are a cheaper than other seeds.

Dave

Put food on the ground .................. the "the pheasant" will become "the pheasants" and maybe pigeons too.

Back