Phil The Ranger (Cannock Chase)

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Sad news for anyone who knew Phil - he passed away very recently only having retired last year or the year before. We have Phil to thank for many of the unofficial feeding sites on Cannock Chase as he started them up much to the chagrin of his bosses, and he steadfastly refused to stop feeding despite continual threats from his bosses.

I knew him since we were both kids and he was always fascinated by wildlife and birds in particular. His favourite birds were Jackdaws and he kept quite a number of them in an aviary at home.

It's a sad loss of a real character - does anyone know any more about the circumstances of his passing?

A fitting tribute to a real character, the likes of which we dont see today.
A month after he retired (February 2010), his dog who went everywhere with him passed away, Phil said he was 17 years old, a good age, he was devastated by that loss.
I used to see him sitting alone on a log in the Coppice when he retired, just watching and listening, he was always up for a chat and to tell you stories about the wild life and birds, a mine of information and experience.
A sad loss indeed.

Sorry to hear that Ced`s :( the lads were telling me about him on my visit. Perhaps a small plaque somewhere on the chase in memory would be a fitting tribute if allowed.

Sorry to hear that Ced`s :( the lads were telling me about him on my visit. Perhaps a small plaque somewhere on the chase in memory would be a fitting tribute if allowed.
Gadzooks Rich, what a bloody wonderful idea!

I'll make some enquiries re necessary permissions etc. I dunno what line officialdom will take. It'll need something substantial enough to survive the seasons there and all weathers and it will probably cost a fair few sheckles so we'll have to dig into the piggy banks if there are enough interested.

I'll make some enquiries, but I suspect the red tape surrounding this is going to be mind blowing. :D

sorry to hear about the loss of someone well liked who loved nature by the sounds of it
we lost some one similar a few years back and we got a brass plaque done from a local engravers they don,t really cost the earth and is still in place today

Well I for one would be happy to throw in some once you got some idea. Maybe an inscribed Brass or Stainless Steel one would be the preferred choice for durability which could be screwed in place. Only a sugestion Ced`s perhaps if possible have it close by to where he spent most of his time which I assume was somewhere deep inside the wood as opposed to out in the open:shrug: That way it would be seen more by the nature lovers and not so much the kids that use the odd patch of grass to have a get together.

I'm not exactly sure who is ultimately responsible for The Chase. It did belong to the Marquis Of Angelsey who died and bequeathed it to the public. Whether it's ultimately managed by a trust or the council I'll have to find out.

It's shrunk considerably since medieval times when I'm told the gated entrance was in Walsall town centre at the top of Park Street where the old cinema used to stand - probably 12 miles away from it's current boundaries.

Henry The Eighth used to love hunting deer there with his courtiers when it was literally 'The Chase'. I wonder what the punishment was if Enery caught one of the yokels taking his deer? An ASBO at least - I bet!

I'm in on this too Ceds, its a good idea Rich, I am sure there's a place thats suitable, red tape permitting.

I'd just mention that theiving getts steel both brass and steel plaques for scrap (we've even had little ones prized off memorial benches ) - how about a tree, or a bench with his name carved in it ( or a bird feeding station in his honour :LOL: )

(cost wise a tree and wooden cage guard is generally about £100 , while we charge £750 - recently up from £500 - for carved benches including installation - I doubt council etc prices will be much different though some places will want you to source a bench and just pay a little bit for the redtape and installation - we provide the bench so we can ensure they are all one type)

WRT ownership, staffordshire county council own/manage the countrypark area while the wider chase is overseen through the cannock chase AONB (which will have a board composed of reps from all the major landowners) - I'd suggest the best bet for a memorial is to go through the AONB officers (contacts below) as they'll have a wider influence to bring to bear if his erstwhile bosses are difficult

Cannock Chase AONB Unit
Shugborough Park Farm, Main Road, Milford, Stafford ST17 0XB.Tel: 01889 882613 Fax: 01889 883912
Email: cannockchase@staffordshire.gov.uk

Hope thats helpful , I didnt know him personally but its always sad to hear of a 'fellow' ranger passing on

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure who is ultimately responsible for The Chase. It did belong to the Marquis Of Angelsey who died and bequeathed it to the public. Whether it's ultimately managed by a trust or the council I'll have to find out.

It's shrunk considerably since medieval times when I'm told the gated entrance was in Walsall town centre at the top of Park Street where the old cinema used to stand - probably 12 miles away from it's current boundaries.

Henry The Eighth used to love hunting deer there with his courtiers when it was literally 'The Chase'. I wonder what the punishment was if Enery caught one of the yokels taking his deer? An ASBO at least - I bet!

It`s time for Jan to dig out your gear Ced`s :naughty:
Cedders.jpg

I'd just mention that theiving getts steel both brass and steel plaques for scrap (we've even had little ones prized off memorial benches ) - how about a tree, or a bench with his name carved in it ( or a bird feeding station in his honour :LOL: )

(cost wise a tree and wooden cage guard is generally about £100 , while we charge £750 - recently up from £500 - for carved benches including installation - I doubt council etc prices will be much different though some places will want you to source a bench and just pay a little bit for the redtape and installation - we provide the bench so we can ensure they are all one type)

WRT ownership, staffordshire county council own/manage the countrypark area while the wider chase is overseen through the cannock chase AONB (which will have a board composed of reps from all the major landowners) - I'd suggest the best bet for a memorial is to go through the AONB officers (contacts below) as they'll have a wider influence to bring to bear if his erstwhile bosses are difficult

Cannock Chase AONB Unit
Shugborough Park Farm, Main Road, Milford, Stafford ST17 0XB.Tel: 01889 882613 Fax: 01889 883912
Email: cannockchase@staffordshire.gov.uk

Hope thats helpful , I didnt know him personally but its always sad to hear of a 'fellow' ranger passing on

That's great Pete thanks. I had more or less decided to go the AONB route, but it's nice to have inside info. (y) The non-ferrous metal risk had crossed my mind actually - sad innit?

I'll give it a go anyway and let everyone know how I get on. I do foresee this not being welcomed with open arms but we'll see. I can certainly see opposition to it being placed anywhere off the beaten track as people are supposed to keep to paths as part of the attempts to control the Bilberry Plant Disease which they're trying to control - also keep dogs on leads for the same reason, but of course many people don't.

Another thought Ced`s if you dont mind me mentioning, just a single seat with a small plaque and you could then ask the owners of the Cafe if they would accept it on their premises :shrug: It would be used by a lot of people and kept safe at the same time.

I'd certainly agree that you are unlikely to get a random installation miles off the beaten track - one option would be to donate a gate, with plaque as the aonb/council teams are often quite hot on access and if you are paying for a gate to replace a stile it makes them more likely to view your request favourably ( expect a gate to be arround £250 including instalation)

If you buy a steel gate you can get the plaque spot welded on to reduce theft (though of course they may just pinch the whole gate :shrug: )

If you are attaching a plaque to wood i'd stongly suggest using both glue and clutch head screws, and making sure its in a recess so its more difficult to get a blade/screwdriver under it

Last edited:
The thing is Phil was well known to photographers, birdwatchers, walkers and cyclists - anyone who was a regular up there and he was well liked. Hell - he represented the rangers single handedly. I think many many people would like to see such a small tribute to Phil.

The thing is Phil was well known to photographers, birdwatchers, walkers and cyclists - anyone who was a regular up there and he was well liked. Hell - he represented the rangers single handedly. I think many many people would like to see such a small tribute to Phil.

Actually I think I have met him - My mate Chris used to be the Staffs CC countryside officer and i think i met phil with him.

If he was much loved you could also look at starting a memorial fund , that way you could get a big ticket item like bird hide/bird feeding station etc and the council would be much more likely to welcome the idea

looking at it cynically both council and aonb have had their govt funding slashed - by an average of 23% so they'll welcome anything that pays for something they were going to do/wanted to do anyway - you'll only meet resistance if you want them to do something that they don't want to have to maintain or justify. (in the aonb's case remember they dont own the ground so they'll have to justify whatever it is to a landowner - which is why gates are a no brainer because landowners are obliged to maintain access structures by law)

Unfortunately my freind chris has moved on from staffs and is now a team leader with the lake district NPA so i dont know anyone of influence who could help you, but if you want any 'inside the proffesion' advice (I'm a head ranger with the national trust, but ive previously worked at councils aonbs etc) please feel free to ask

Last edited:
Another thought Ced`s if you dont mind me mentioning, just a single seat with a small plaque and you could then ask the owners of the Cafe if they would accept it on their premises :shrug: It would be used by a lot of people and kept safe at the same time.

All ideas more than welcome Rich - keep 'em coming in fact, but let me test the waters first. Cannock Chase was pretty wild and untouched when I were a kid, but it was declared an AONB in 1958. In recent years a lot of money has been spent on tracks and access which is the good part, but the bureaucrats can be painful. I know that at Chasewater which is another AONB the local birding club gets loads of aggro over the siting of things as simple as a bird feeder. :wacky:

Actually I think I have met him - My mate Chris used to be the Staffs CC countryside officer and i think i met phil with him.

Think a smaller stockier version of Grizzly Adams - shock of long grey hair and beard to match. :D

Think a smaller stockier version of Grizzly Adams - shock of long grey hair and beard to match. :D

Yep - rings a bell

Didn't realise you new him so well CT I had the great pleasure to spend some time with him on one occasion and still speak to one of his friends who walks his dog's up in the oaks,I eventually found about 8 of the tables he put out to feed the jackdaws and have been putting food on them for about 18 months mostly through the winter,so I am very sad to hear that he has past he will be remembered by all who had the pleasure to meet him and that most certainly includes me.P.S It has to be a plaque made out of Oak.

Last edited:
I've never been there so couldn't meet this person but these type of people who dedicate most of their lives to working for the good of nature certainly deserve some sort of recognition. I'm assuming that there are hides on the Chase so I think that this could be done by naming one of of the hides in his memory.

Phill used to fill a hollow branch of a tree with bread which he apparantly collected daily from a local take away at Milford (it was bread that was left over and was going to be thrown away). This was in addition to the feeders he had built and installed at various points, plus the watering stations, there was even a hollow tree that he filled with water that he had to carry. His bosses ordered him to remove the feeders and stop feeding the birds, he was even suspended from work on more that one occasion, but Phill being Phill told them he had been feeding the birds since he was a lad and he wasnt going to stop, so **** your job. In the end they relented and just let him get on with it, and he kept his job :). The feeders they wanted removed are still there, bless him.
From the log that he used to sit on, he could watch the Jackdaws taking the bread to their nests in the breeding season.
If there is objections to a plaque or the cost is too prohibitive, then perhaps we could arrange a private plaque on the tree that he used to climb to fill up with bread, the hollow part is high enough that you have to climb to it, but can be seen from the ground.
If thats the way we have to go, then I feel that particular old oak would be very appropriate.

Last edited:
I used to bump into him regularly when I was digiscoping at Brocton Coppice some years ago, a real character. RIP

Phill used to fill a hollow branch of a tree with bread which he apparantly collected daily from a local take away at Milford (it was bread that was left over and was going to be thrown away). This was in addition to the feeders he had built and installed at various points, plus the watering stations, there was even a hollow tree that he filled with water that he had to carry. His bosses ordered him to remove the feeders and stop feeding the birds, he was even suspended from work on more that one occasion, but Phill being Phill told them he had been feeding the birds since he was a lad and he wasnt going to stop, so **** your job. In the end they relented and just let him get on with it, and he kept his job :). The feeders they wanted removed are still there, bless him.
From the log that he used to sit on, he could watch the Jackdaws taking the bread to their nests in the breeding season.
If there is objections to a plaque or the cost is too prohibitive, then perhaps we could arrange a private plaque on the tree that he used to climb to fill up with bread, the hollow part is high enough that you have to climb to it, but can be seen from the ground.
If thats the way we have to go, then I feel that particular old oak would be very appropriate.

That sounds like a plan Trev. If the permission is granted I am willing to contibute some of my new lens fund cash for such a worthy human being.
Regards
Paul. (y)

Negative a caution for first offence :LOL::LOL:

I've never been there so couldn't meet this person but these type of people who dedicate most of their lives to working for the good of nature certainly deserve some sort of recognition. I'm assuming that there are hides on the Chase so I think that this could be done by naming one of of the hides in his memory.

There are actually no hides on The Chase at all. The only 'official' feeding site I know of is the one at the Marquis Drive visiting centre which provides two flat wooden feeding tables. The area containing the tables is fenced off with one table being just inside the fence while the other is at the far side of the enclosure and practically useless for photography being too far away.

The table you can use is OK but it's not the best place to try to get the birds in a natural setting off the tables - something it has in common with a lot of reserves.

Most of the best bird photography is done at unofficial feeding sites where the birds are well used to walkers and birders so hides are really irrelevant.

The Chase is a huge area and it's difficult to think of a place where any permanent hide could be placed to be of any real value. The Chase is frequented by a wide variety of birds and sees some rarities occasionally, but it's usually a question of a lot walking and keeping your eyes open.

I didnt know Phil what a sad loss to his famuly and friends r.i.p Phil.

After reading all the posts about Phil would it not be a nice idea to start a photo competiton each year on wild life photography call the Phil Wild Life Chalange and keep his good mane alive,

John

RIP Phil kind thoughts are with your friends and family at this sad time, your good work will not go un-noticed.

Tom

Well I've spoken to a very helpful lady at the Cannock Chase ANOB Unit this morning and she's putting me in touch with the feller from the council who I need to speak to about this, so fingers crossed - so far so good.

Well I've spoken to a very helpful lady at the Cannock Chase ANOB Unit this morning and she's putting me in touch with the feller from the council who I need to speak to about this, so fingers crossed - so far so good.

Well done Ced`s (y) Let us keep our fingers crossed on this one and for once common sense might prevail.

UPDATE.

Well the lady I spoke to didn't know Phil and had heard nothing of his demise and has made enquiries for me with his ranger ex- colleagues. They've heard nothing at all, but they say they've not had much contact with him for quite some time and he hasn't been seen on The Chase either.

One of the rangers has a very valid excuse to go and see Phil at the weekend without it being obvious he's fishing, so hopefully early next week we should at least have confirmation that Phil has passed away or otherwise.

It would be a bit embarrassing if we were erecting a 30 foot monolith to Phil's memory at Brocton Coppice and he rolled up while we were doing it! :LOL:

UPDATE.

Well the lady I spoke to didn't know Phil and had heard nothing of his demise and has made enquiries for me with his ranger ex- colleagues. They've heard nothing at all, but they say they've not had much contact with him for quite some time and he hasn't been seen on The Chase either.

One of the rangers has a very valid excuse to go and see Phil at the weekend without it being obvious he's fishing, so hopefully early next week we should at least have confirmation that Phil has passed away or otherwise.

It would be a bit embarrassing if we were erecting a 30 foot monolith to Phil's memory at Brocton Coppice and he rolled up while we were doing it! :LOL:

:LOL: Typical bloody coppers :shake: Making things up :D Well Ced`s on that note let`s hope there might be some good news (y) Our embaressment would be a small price to pay if things were ok.

LOL Well I won't reveal the source of my information. :D

I really hope it's wrong but no smoke without fire springs to mind.

I didnt know Phil what a sad loss to his famuly and friends r.i.p Phil.

After reading all the posts about Phil would it not be a nice idea to start a photo competiton each year on wild life photography call the Phil Wild Life Chalange and keep his good mane alive,

John

Fantastic Idea John.

Well after all that I've today received confirmation from my lady at the AONB that Phil is indeed alive and well! Great news and no harm done except for my embarrassment. The info actually came from a couple of Chase walkers who know Phil pretty well so very strange indeed that it should turn out to be duff.

I'm not sure just how well Phil is - I can't imagine what would be keeping him away from feeding his beloved birds - but it's actually great news - I really couldn't be more chuffed. :cool:

Well after all that I've today received confirmation from my lady at the AONB that Phil is indeed alive and well! Great news and no harm done except for my embarrassment. The info actually came from a couple of Chase walkers who know Phil pretty well so very strange indeed that it should turn out to be duff.

I'm not sure just how well Phil is - I can't imagine what would be keeping him away from feeding his beloved birds - but it's actually great news - I really couldn't be more chuffed. :cool:

Well that is cracking news Ced`s (y)

It reminds me of the time I informed my Dad that a bloke he knew from way back had died. My Dad whent to look into a shop window whilst in town a couple of weeks later and the bloke in front of him who was already looking in the shop turned around :puke: Perhaps we should get him an iphone so he can keep us up to date in future :D

Cedric, I feel awful that I believed two reliable sources who actually know Phil well, but having said that, I too am delighted at this latest news. I'm amazed and distresed that this information proved to be false, yet at the same time, very pleased that it is false.

Last edited:
Cedric, I feel awful that I believed two reliable sources who actually know Phil well, but having said that, I too am delighted at this latest news. I'm amazed and distresed that this information proved to be false, yet at the same time, very pleased that it is false.

We dont believe anything you say now :LOL:

Hardly your fault Trev - when you hear these things they're usually true. I was just as taken in as you.

Perhaps we should still have a plaque at Brocton Coppice.

" The rumours of my untimely demise are greatly exaggerated"

Phil Lovatt

:D

Last edited:
Back