PhiltheJuggler's 52! - Finally! Week 52 - Together - A mosaic finish..

Thanks very much for the details Phil, I'll certainly give that a try the next time we have a nice Corona to play with. (y)

Funny you should post that shot this week (although it fits the theme perfectly). I have been thinking all week about trying a moon shot, probably because of the lunar eclipse next week, which sadly is at a bad time for photographing it, I believe.

Anyway, it's a beautiful shot and the clouds really make it (y) Thanks for explaining how you did it.

Jenny

Catch up time again Phil:

Lead: Great angle on this. Nice detail aswell.

Space: Another superb shot. Thanks for posting up the PP as well. Always good to know what is done to enhance an image. I still haven't managed to take a shot of the moon that is blown.

WOW, great work there and nice of you to share your tips too. Wonderful shot of the moon and the wisp of clouds adds so much ;)

Lovely - perfect composition and the wispy clouds add so much. :clap:

Many thanks guys!

Funny you should post that shot this week (although it fits the theme perfectly). I have been thinking all week about trying a moon shot, probably because of the lunar eclipse next week, which sadly is at a bad time for photographing it, I believe.

Anyway, it's a beautiful shot and the clouds really make it (y) Thanks for explaining how you did it.

Jenny

Yeah - 8.15am or something! Thanks for the comments though!

Thats a good shot of the moon Phil. Thanks for sharing how you did it.

Catch up time again Phil:

Lead: Great angle on this. Nice detail aswell.

Space: Another superb shot. Thanks for posting up the PP as well. Always good to know what is done to enhance an image. I still haven't managed to take a shot of the moon that is blown.

Thanks both!

Week 50 - Close

Larger version here (this one definitely looks better on black!)

p1027510660-4.jpg

Week 50

I had the idea for this earlier in the week, but only got around to shooting it today.

The subject is my friend, James. I stood him in a kitchen next to a load of reflective white cabinets which effectively worked like a large softbox when I bounced the flash off them. I pulled up the little reflector on the flash to give the spot highlight in the centre of the eye.

I made two copies of the shot in LR. Converted one to B&W spending some time getting the tones and contrast as I wanted them - tried to up the blacks, contrast and exposure without losing texture in the skin. The colour version I converted with a LR preset - colour CP2 which gave a interesting look to the iris.

Both shots were exported to Elements and layered, removing just the iris to allow the colour through.

Canon 1DsMKII, 70-200L IS II @ 123mm, 1/250, f4, ISO400, 580EXII bounced + ext tube.

Hope you like it! Will comment on others tomorrow!

Thanks for looking

Phil

Last edited:
I do like these style of photographs Phil and yours is no exception. The selective colour on the iris is appropriate here (as its not to everyone's liking).
It's a sharp well lit and composed image with only one small niggle for me, there is a grey 'fringe' to the right side of the iris which is a little distracting. Otherwise its a perfect photograph bang on theme. Iain

I do like these style of photographs Phil and yours is no exception. The selective colour on the iris is appropriate here (as its not to everyone's liking).
It's a sharp well lit and composed image with only one small niggle for me, there is a grey 'fringe' to the right side of the iris which is a little distracting. Otherwise its a perfect photograph bang on theme. Iain

Many thanks - that's his contact lens - I might try cloning it out.

Phil

UPDATE - Now done! Thanks!

Last edited:
That's great Phil, lovely colour pop on the iris too...

As for the lunar eclipse, if you wait till 815 you will have missed it... it starts about 0630, and the moon sets at about 0730, midway through the eclipse.

Good use of selective colour. Nice portrait too.Not sure about his ear which isnt in focus but maybe thats deliberate.

Thanks for the comment. The focus was deliberately selective on the eye. At this distance with the focal length chosen the dof would be way too small to get the ear in focus even if I'd wanted it!

I guess close-up with a wide angle lens stopped down could have worked, but would have changed the apparent perspective of the subject!

Phil

Last edited:
Another very nice one, Phil. The focus on the eye is excellent and the DOF just right, but I especially like the catchlights. It's an interesting take on the theme.

Jenny

:plus1: I don't often like selective colour but I find it very striking here. It is even slightly scary - maybe you could do a golden eye like the Midwich cuckoos :D.

Many thanks everyone!

Week 51 - Romantic

Larger version here

p491654987-4.jpg

Last edited:
Week 51

This was not a new photo for this week as such, but it was a new creation.

I used a macro shot of a rose I took a few years ago and a portrait from a shoot I did a couple of months ago.

Blending them was fairly hard with my limited Photoshop skills. I adjusted the hue on the originally orange veil to make it look more in keeping with the rose. I then loaded both shots into Elements, put the portrait layer on Lighten mode and reduced the opacity of the rose. I then put the rose above the portrait and used the eraser at different opacity settings to allow some of the portrait through. I used the different settings on the eraser to blend the portrait in more gradually.

The rose was taken with a ring flash on a 5D with 100mm Macro - 1/200s, ISO 400, f/11.

The portrait was taken with a stack of softboxes to imitate light from a window on the 1DsMKII, 24-105mm @ 45mm, 1/125s f/11, ISO 100.

Hope you like it - definitely my biggest Photoshop challenge yet!

Thanks for looking and Merry Christmas all!

Phil

Last edited:
Hope you had a good Christmas.

That's a very clever bit of photoshopping and certainly creates a romantic image.

In a word - outstanding! :clap::clap::clap: I'm sure this would sell well.

Thanks for posting your PS method, too - I will give it a try sometime.

Hope you had a good Xmas!

Hope you had a good Christmas.

That's a very clever bit of photoshopping and certainly creates a romantic image.

In a word - outstanding! :clap::clap::clap: I'm sure this would sell well.

Thanks for posting your PS method, too - I will give it a try sometime.

Hope you had a good Xmas!

You have been busy with the photoshop and have created a lovely image. Well done.

That's a beautiful shot, Phil :clap::clap::clap:
It fits the theme perfectly, the colours are gorgeous and the lighting on the girl is just right.

Jenny

Thanks very much everyone - I was pleased with how this turned out - I had several goes in photoshop before I was happy with it.

Phil

Merry Christmas Phil - I hope you've had a good one and well done for sticking with this up to week 51. Only one more to go now!

I'm left scratching my head a bit as to how I got so far behind with your thread, but I'll put it down to December just being a manic month. Big catch up below :

Romance : Perfect!
Absolutely love this and there's not a thing that I would change. The way that the veil in her left hand blends and curls round into the RHS petal is reeally effective. I can just imagine how long it took to get this all lined up.

Close : Stunning as well - and one of those shots where selective colouring just works. Great detail in the iris and whatever that preset was it's worked wonders for bringing out the tones. If you do go back to revisit, cloning out the edge of his contact lens and that stray hair just above his eye would finish it off perfectly.

Space : I'm running out of compliments here :LOL:
Masses of atmosphere in this one and works brilliantly. In fact I could really see this as a book cover.

Lead : A very strong striking image - angle and composition wok well.
The shadows are a little harsh in places, but given the subject matter I think that was pretty much unavoidable.

Love it Phil, that's a superb bit of shoppery and has worked really well (y) :clap:

Merry Christmas Phil - I hope you've had a good one and well done for sticking with this up to week 51. Only one more to go now!

I'm left scratching my head a bit as to how I got so far behind with your thread, but I'll put it down to December just being a manic month. Big catch up below :

Romance : Perfect!
Absolutely love this and there's not a thing that I would change. The way that the veil in her left hand blends and curls round into the RHS petal is reeally effective. I can just imagine how long it took to get this all lined up.

Close : Stunning as well - and one of those shots where selective colouring just works. Great detail in the iris and whatever that preset was it's worked wonders for bringing out the tones. If you do go back to revisit, cloning out the edge of his contact lens and that stray hair just above his eye would finish it off perfectly.

Space : I'm running out of compliments here :LOL:
Masses of atmosphere in this one and works brilliantly. In fact I could really see this as a book cover.

Lead : A very strong striking image - angle and composition wok well.
The shadows are a little harsh in places, but given the subject matter I think that was pretty much unavoidable.

Thanks Sue - I appreciate the detailed feedback!

Love it Phil, that's a superb bit of shoppery and has worked really well (y) :clap:

Many thanks John.

Phil

Week 52 - Together

Three roses as a mosaic using all 52 shots of the year together

Larger version here

p176473538-4.jpg

Week 51

As soon as I saw the final week's theme I thought I would like to do a photo-mosaic of all the shots from the 52 together.

Initially I lit the roses with the 580EXII (with diffuser) off camera in master mode from in front and to the side of the roses with the 430EXII coming in from behind as a slave.

The exposure details were 1DIII, 135mm f/2.0 L, f/11, 1/300s, ISO100.

I then cropped and saved a small version of the shot to make up the 52nd tile. Finally I took the full sized version and converted it to a photo-mosaic with the wonderful and free software AndreaMosaic.

Hope you like it and thank you for looking at this last photo of the 2010 52!

Phil

Last edited:
I'm behind on comments for everybodys threads but here goes:

Close - selective colouring is not always my cup of tea but in this case it works very well. Extremely sharp and fits the theme well.

Romantic - great minds think alike although I stuck with just a rose :) The two images work really well together. You may have found combining them a challenge but it was worth the effort.

Together - inspired :clap: I never even thought about a photo mosaic even though I have looked into them over the years and really liked the idea. This looks great.

Well done on completing the challenge.

Andy

Together... show off :D... A superb idea and it's worked brilliantly, spot on for the theme. Well done on completing the 52.

Thanks for taking the time through the year to visit and comment on my thread also. Happy New Year

What a clever idea and brilliantly done :clap::clap::clap:

Congratulations on completing your 52. You have posted a great set of images throughout the year.

It may not have been technically your best, but the one that stood out for me was "console". I found it really poignant and still remember it more than all the others.

All the best,

Jenny

Very clever idea and works a treat! :clap: :clap: I have never tried a mosaic but I'm now tempted to have a go....

Congrats on getting to the end. I have really enjoyed your photos over the year. I agree with Jenny about loving Console, while other ones that stand out for me are, Share, Faith and Romantic. You produced a lot of stunning portraits, too.

Thanks for following my thread and making helpful comments. All the best for the coming year. (y)

Last edited:
Last catchup Phil.

Close: Cracking image. The focus is superb as is the lighting. And the post processing has really done justice to the image.

Romantic: Again, a lovely image from what are undoubtibly beautiful shots on their own. Very well combined.

Together: Another cracker. What a superb idea to combine all your 52 shots into the last one. Well done. (y)

Thanks for all your comments on my posts over the past year Phil. (y)

Back