Phobias

Name
Cheryl
Edit My Images
Yes
Do you have any?

Have you been cured of any?

Dave just came running up the stairs half expecting me to be under attack from a mad axe fiend or something... to find me in the shower going absolutely hysterical 'cos a HUGE moth had flown in through the bathroom window :crying: . I'm still shaking now... I know they can't hurt me :shake: but I am absolutely petrified of them :help:

wasps...cant stand em.

Imagine my first day in my new job... I get there, all full of enthusiasm, then one of the sisters tells me they are having a problem with an infestation of wasps and moths on the antenatal ward :eek: I nearly didn't go back.

Confined spaces, and spiders Can't hack either. The other half is chief spider-evicter in this household...a task that he shares with the cat, although she eats them, rather than evicts them!

As for the confined spaces thing, I'm off to see Robbie Williams at Milton Keynes in a few weeks (if the tickets ever arrive, that is!) - that should be "interesting"! Years since I've been to that sort of gig.

Some heights, but not aeroplanes strangely. I think my mind decides that it's too high to worry about.

Fudge

Badgers

Work (alledgedly)

The one real phobia I have that sends me screaming into the other room is having to deal with people I don't know on the telephone. It does strange things to my head for some reason, to the point where I've been in some quite serious trouble because of my fear of picking up the phone and talking to someone I don't know. I'm fine with strangers in the street etc.

Weird of Bath.

None that I know of. Okay, I have intense dislikes of things... wasps/hornets, stuff like that. Spiders fascinate me, if I'm honest. I don't like them either, and I'm definitely not saying that I'd really get any kicks from having a tarantula crawling over me!

Not phobias as such but got to agree Mini - I HATE moths, my wife loves them. I don't mind butterflys but just can't take moths.

I also don't like Wasps but thats because I end in hospital if I don't use the epipen in time. (come to think of it I end up in hospital even when I do use the epi).

other things I don't like things that might collapse under me - seats / tables etc - I'm a big guy so get a bit worried about sitting on a flimsy deck chair.

I've thought of another - The thought of having my feet trodden on terrifies me. If I'm on the tube and it's crowded (yes, there is the confined spaces thing going on there too!) I'll go to great lengths to make sure my feet are well out of the way!

Keltic Ice Man said:
Not phobias as such but got to agree Mini - I HATE moths, my wife loves them. I don't mind butterflys but just can't take moths.

I wish it was that I just didn't like them. I can't even look at a picture of one without breaking into a cold sweat. I know it's completely irrational and they can't harm me, but I am absolutely petrified of them - I'm getting worse as I get older too :( I'm the same with butterflies, although not quite as bad, but would still lose the plot if there was one in the house.

I hate the summer months...or moth season as I call it :(

I'll delete that picture of a big moth with the title 'Cuddly kittens' on sharing then....

Gandhi said:
The one real phobia I have that sends me screaming into the other room is having to deal with people I don't know on the telephone. It does strange things to my head for some reason, to the point where I've been in some quite serious trouble because of my fear of picking up the phone and talking to someone I don't know. I'm fine with strangers in the street etc.

Weird of Bath.

GASP! :eek:

I'm the same! It freaks me out if I have to phone for a taxi or a curry, usually get the better half to do it. Even a couple of pints doesn't help much.

:help:

Normal of Bristol.

Did have a fear of wasps and any buzzy things - real baad!! but getting over that with confrontation methods (repeated looking at Hacker's photos :LOL:)

Now here's the real funny bit. I had a fear of HEIGHTS. I have always enjoyed the mountains but was developing a fear of "dead ground" and edges. So I took up paragliding, it is amazing therapy and I can really recommend anyone that to get over a fear you should both confont and analyse the fear. This needs to be repeated again and again and you must WANT to get over it. Tell yourself how much better things will be once you have defeated it, it is that simple!

Doctor Gary :LOL:

MOTHS...the way they hit the window trying to come in, eughhh, same with butterflies but only when in a butterfly farm, my friend disowned Maisie and I in one a couple of years ago, I was taking photos and screaming at the same time..hysterical lol

My other problem I have is with water, I made myself learn to swim a 1992 and feel proud that I actually did it but I also can't drink cold water, it leaves me struggling to breathe and panicky, so I add a drop of hot water and I'm fine, I can drink flavoured water no problem, what a nutter eh? :shrug:

Hmmmm. A fear of water, Marianne? I can only assume that you're a goth at heart, or you've got rabies

hmmm....I must go and look up 'goths' to see what this thing with water is all about...

perhaps he meant to say "youi're a MOTH at heart" !!! :)

Americans...

I've kicked potn in the head and i've just kicked Fred Miranda in the head

The final straw coming, when i've got a couple of Americans trying to convince me an Irish man that the Republic of Ireland is part of the UK, and also having to teach them that Ire is not on the mainland.

This geography lesson came about when one of them replied to my views on a shot taken with the mythical 85 1.2 which i found less then ordinary

His utter dismay that i could ever have anything other then praise for a shot taken with the 85 1.2 resulted in a very in-depth rebuttal and sharing of ideas and opinions...

"oh i see where you are, i understand now"

I had to point out to him that first he was pathetic, and second that his assumption that i was British was wrong (not there's anything wrong with being British). He could not quite grasp, and he wasn't the only one, that my location said UK but i wasn't British.

I don't want to tar a nation with the same a brush, but chirst the clueless to clued up ratio i've come across up to now is well out of balance

Flies freak me out something ruthless, even thinking about them makes me itch (yuk) for this reason alone, I don't mind spiders at all (not saying I'd like them running over me but anyway). Naturally I love everyones macro fly shots.
One of my cats is a trained fly catcher & he catches flies & pins them to the floor until I exchange it for a treat (clever little bugger :D ).
Not too keen on wasps either & will run a mile waving my hands around my head & looking like a complete idiot to escape one (horrible, full bins in Liverpool are a haven for them).
One last, wierd one - I am not afraid of heights at all but if I am on a stepladder, I can't look up (am fine looking down) as it makes me feel sick :shrug:

Sean_Mcr said:
Americans...

I've kicked potn in the head and i've just kicked Fred Miranda in the head

The final straw coming, when i've got a couple of Americans trying to convince me an Irish man that the Republic of Ireland is part of the UK, and also having to teach them that Ire is not on the mainland.

This geography lesson came about when one of them replied to my views on a shot taken with the mythical 85 1.2 which i found less then ordinary

His utter dismay that i could ever have anything other then praise for a shot taken with the 85 1.2 resulted in a very in-depth rebuttal and sharing of ideas and opinions...

"oh i see where you are, i understand now"

I had to point out to him that first he was pathetic, and second that his assumption that i was British was wrong (not there's anything wrong with being British). He could not quite grasp, and he wasn't the only one, that my location said UK but i wasn't British.

I don't want to tar a nation with the same a brush, but chirst the clueless to clued up ratio i've come across up to now is well out of balance
I had to laugh at this one, sorry. My mrs is called Fiona and she is from Northern Ireland, she recently went on a training thingy to a hospital in Canada where for 2 weeks they insisted on calling her Finoa from London England:thinking:

moomike said:
One last, wierd one - I am not afraid of heights at all but if I am on a stepladder, I can't look up (am fine looking down) as it makes me feel sick :shrug:

Looking up/down is a common cause of disorientation for pilots as we humans are used to having a close horizon. Once elevated our senses tell us something is wrong and heightens our response. When you look up your sub-concious looks for it's reference point. When it is not as it should be the sub-concious sends danger messages to your brain which can often manifest itself as dizzyness and nausea.

Tell your sub-concious to shut the **** up and carry on with your elevated activity :LOL: :D

HIMUPNORTH said:
Now here's the real funny bit. I had a fear of HEIGHTS. I have always enjoyed the mountains but was developing a fear of "dead ground" and edges. So I took up paragliding, it is amazing therapy and I can really recommend anyone that to get over a fear you should both confont and analyse the fear. This needs to be repeated again and again and you must WANT to get over it. Tell yourself how much better things will be once you have defeated it, it is that simple!

Doctor Gary :LOL:

Your so right I'm sure my vertigo has gotten better since viewing your shots, thanks doc. :D

I find, my vertigo isn't really a fear of heights its more a fear of losing my ability to stand up straight, or keep my balance...if theirs a high railing in front of me, no problem...but a low railing...:eek: ...no way. the legs start to go wobbly and I have to find something to hold on to... or back away a few feet so theirs room for me to fall over and not pass over the edge, :shrug: :wacky: at that moment the vertigo goes :LOL:

I can image buckled in and sitting in the support of a parachute would probably feel fine to me...its the moment it failed the vertigo would kick in. :D

Sean_Mcr said:
Good stuff...

..The clueless to clued up ratio

Hmmm nice, me like that one. :LOL: Good name for a debate forum I think.lol.

moomike said:
One of my cats is a trained fly catcher & he catches flies & pins them to the floor until I exchange it for a treat (clever little bugger :D ).

My boy cat's like that, 'cept he like to have help from his dad to catch them. Usually ends up with me holding him and waving him around the windows as he frantically scrabbles around trying to catch the fly. Mrs gets the giggles :nono: whilst we are undertaking the serious job of catching flys!

Then he eats the fly :puke:.

Marianne said:
My other problem I have is with water, I made myself learn to swim a 1992 and feel proud that I actually did it but I also can't drink cold water, it leaves me struggling to breathe and panicky, so I add a drop of hot water and I'm fine, I can drink flavoured water no problem, what a nutter eh? :shrug:

Yep, that’s weird. You nutter. ;) :D

Well done on passing in 92 though, that sounds like it must have been a struggle, especially as it’s so much easier to learn as a child I've heard. Good on you. :)

SammyC said:
My boy cat's like that, 'cept he like to have help from his dad to catch them. Usually ends up with me holding him and waving him around the windows as he frantically scrabbles around trying to catch the fly. Mrs gets the giggles :nono: whilst we are undertaking the serious job of catching flys!

:LOL:
Making me laugh too.. :LOL: Great picture painted mate....sorry :cough: very serious, yes..

...:LOL:

I've no real phobias as such, but I can't stand anything to do with eyes. I can watch any operation on TV - except eye ones. Can't look in someones eye if they ask me to check if somethings in it - eyelash, dirt etc. Yuk, 'orrible :puke:

Marianne said:
MOTHS...the way they hit the window trying to come in, eughhh, same with butterflies but only when in a butterfly farm, my friend disowned Maisie and I in one a couple of years ago, I was taking photos and screaming at the same time..hysterical lol

You'd have to knock me unconscious first to get me into one of those places!

SammyC said:

That had me in fits of giggles :LOL: I can just visualise it :LOL: :LOL:

HIMUPNORTH said:
Looking up/down is a common cause of disorientation for pilots as we humans are used to having a close horizon. Once elevated our senses tell us something is wrong and heightens our response. When you look up your sub-concious looks for it's reference point. When it is not as it should be the sub-concious sends danger messages to your brain which can often manifest itself as dizzyness and nausea.

Tell your sub-concious to shut the **** up and carry on with your elevated activity :LOL: :D

:LOL:
Learn something new every day, Am going to try to arrange some hang-gliding lessons soon if I can find anywhere local & shall have to try looking up whilst doing it to see how much I can freak myself out :D .

Wife: "I was just going past the shop and I saw.........."

Brings me out in a cold sweat every time, incurable apparently :(

Another one for moths, hate them with a passion. My brother used to crush their heads between his fingers when we were kids and can never get that out of my head.

Brings me out in a cold sweat every time, incurable apparently :(

Oh it's curable ;) It just costs ALOT more...Roughly half the house, the car, the kids etc :D

Not good in the long rung, I suggest living with the cold sweats, you get used to them after a while :D

GASP! :eek:
I'm the same! It freaks me out if I have to phone for a taxi or a curry, usually get the better half to do it. Even a couple of pints doesn't help much.

:help

Ummm what??? I dont' get it,:thinking::LOL:

As for any of my phobias? :thinking: nope, not too many fears over here.

Oh, I don't like too be closed in, tight places or anything like that.

Jewel

I'm the same with the phoning people I don't know - even some people that I do know, I just don't like it.

Spiders, I hate the things, ewwwwwwwwwwww, even the tiniest money spider, but they only seem to affect me in enclosed spaces - outside doesn't seem to bother me.

Don't like wasps or bees as I've never been stung and I'm scared it'll hurt so I run away like a girl.

Back