Phone apps

Edit My Images
No
So, as i progress more in to the landscape photography world, i have been thinking of things that i would need and what would be helpful to have with me.
Now, we all carry phones of the smart variety around with us, which got me thinking. What apps are about and what am i missing.

First to download was a compass. Always handy when location scouting for where sun will rise and set.
I then though about looking for a focus distance calculator for DoF... makes sense i thought and it brought up a plethora of related apps.
I now have a golden hour app, a 500 rule app and an ND calculator app which are all handy.

So, are there any other apps that people find handy to have? Very keen to expand this on things i may have not thought of or missed.

If people want the names of the apps i have got then happy to provide :)

I use an old phone with Wireless remote apps for most of my cameras (phone is IR capable which is an extra bonus)
Spreadsheet of my own notes about things like ND adjustments with calculators

TPE has an app version or the web version could be used with cell data. There are other alternatives such as Planit. Either of these makes apps such as blue hour and golden hour apps a bit redundant.

Whilst not specifically for photography I have the following on my 'remote control device' as well as on my normal cell phone:
OS Locate (compass and GPS location in OSGB Grid format)
OS Maps (been a subscriber since it came out and also have most of the UK at 1K25 for offline use)
GPS Status (compass, GPS, tracking, plus a host of other stuff dependant on sensors available in the device)

PhotoPills is the standard to which all others are compared, so just use that.

Last edited:
For me......

OS Maps subscription
OS Locate
Map my Run
Ventusky
Clear Outside
Stellarium
Exposure Calculator (can't remember the last time I used it!)
Imaging Edge Mobile (rarely used)

For planning ‘the photographers ephemeris’ is amazing. You can simulate how the light will fall at any given time of the year. It’s very useful to check how the light will fall across the landscape before you stand there.

https://www.photoephemeris.com/

Weather wise I use a few such as BBC weather, clear outside, weather maps and windy. I usually compare a few together rather than rely on just one as they aren’t perfect for predicting weather.

OS maps and OS locate are very useful. You don’t necessarily need to subscribe to OS maps. You can upload digital maps using the digital map code provided with paper OS maps.the subscription is good. I found my favourite part was printing out copies of specific areas or routes as it’s good to have a paper copy with you just in case the phone battery is empty.

There are camera instruction manual app available too. Nikon did a nice one to download specific camera manuals. At times a useful resource if you needed to check a specific camera function.

Last edited:
One app I have added as a keen walker both on the hills and mountains is what 3 words many of the rescue groups now use it I sometimes go off on my own to take landscapes etc and despite telling the other half where I am going I have this app just in case

ViewRanger is excellent for walking and scouting before you set off. You’re quite unlikely to need to use a map and compass with that app.

The TPE apps are also worth a look, the only thing is they’re not particularly easy to use, regular TPE is fine but the others are far from intuitive but can be very useful. TPE 3D can let you visualise when the light will hit certain parts of a scene and at what time, invaluable for an autumn shot I had in mind in Borrowdale, when I wanted to know when the first rays would light up an oak tree.

Snapseed is a powerful free editing app, sometimes you might want to transfer your images to your phone on location and do a quick edit, maybe for social media.

Other than those Instagram is probably the best for sharing images (at least in terms of engagement), and for weather I use Met Office, Clear Outside, YR, although it has to be said they’re not a patch on what the BBC forecast used to be a few years ago and are often wrong, likewise the BBC now who have a woefully inaccurate but pretty app.

Hope that helps anyway!

I feel I should mention whilst the mobile navigation apps are a great tool (I often use my phone in the lakes) and usually the only thing you may need you still should take a backup. Every mountain rescue team in the country would recommend a taking a proper hard copy of a map and compass as backup to a mobile device. Mobile devices fail, batteries empty, get dropped and smashed etc so shouldn’t be relied on as the only navigation option.

OS maps are good because they give you a free scratch off code for downloading an electronic version of the paper map you have just bought. Even the mobile subscription lets you print a map section (as long as you choose the scaled print option it’s a printed to the same scaling as OS maps) so you can still take both an electronic and paper copy.

I feel I should mention whilst the mobile navigation apps are a great tool (I often use my phone in the lakes) and usually the only thing you may need you still should take a backup. Every mountain rescue team in the country would recommend a taking a proper hard copy of a map and compass as backup to a mobile device. Mobile devices fail, batteries empty, get dropped and smashed etc so shouldn’t be relied on as the only navigation option.

OS maps are good because they give you a free scratch off code for downloading an electronic version of the paper map you have just bought. Even the mobile subscription lets you print a map section (as long as you choose the scaled print option it’s a printed to the same scaling as OS maps) so you can still take both an electronic and paper copy.

I can't add to the apps list above but I agree very much about a paper map and a compass. You might never need it - I can't remember the last time I use map and compass - but it could be a life saver if you do.

A couple of other things could be useful in certain circumstances -

Register your phone for SMS emergency service - http://www.everythingoutdoors.co.uk/sms-to-the-emergency-services/

and

depending on where you are going, consider taking a storm shelter. Compared to the weight of photo gear it doesn't weigh much (a 2 person one is about 0.5kg) and if you need to be rescued it could make waiting a lot more pleasant and is very easy to spot.

Dave

One app I have added as a keen walker both on the hills and mountains is what 3 words many of the rescue groups now use it I sometimes go off on my own to take landscapes etc and despite telling the other half where I am going I have this app just in case

What 3 Words is also absolutely brilliant for making notes of scouted locations. You get a really accurate pinpoint that you can ask google maps to direct you to.

Going off on a slight tangent but hopefully excusable in this instance.
I always carry a bunch of triangular bandages, water, exposure blanket, torch and compass when out and about. Doesn't take up much space or weight. Same basic kit is in my car and on my motorbike. Triangular bandages are the swiss army knife of the bandage world and can be made into eye patches, slings, gromets, regular bandages, ties ;)

It's handy having maps and a compass on a cell phone but batteries die....and tree cover etc will quickly cause loss of GPS fix.

SMS relay was set up for people with hearing or speech imapairment to contact 999 and not as a replacement for normal 999 use.
It's use is not restricted to those people and anyone can register (the first link given above was about the service and not the registration site)
In areas of poor phone coverage or areas not covered by your own cell provider 999 calls are often still possible. ALL networks accept 999 calls from ANY provider and are prioritised. This is true for SMS to 999 as long as you have registered your phone number.

Also worth noting that if out in the sticks and you need cave or mountain rescue you ask the 999 operator for the police (ie. don't try and call CRO/MRO directly)

Last edited:
Back