Phone camera why not?

That would be odd. Portrait mode on my S23 Ultra defaults to the 70mm 3x lens as this is a portrait focal length, but I can choose the main camera if I like. To be honest I never use it, it looks exactly like what it is, fake bokeh. The main camera sensors have got large enough now that you get a little bit of natural bokeh at normal shooting distances and it looks much, much better. None of the phone manufacturers have been able to replicate the fall off in the out of focus areas. They just blur the background, forget to blur the foreground and it just looks terrible.

I thought I'd give this a quick test with the Pixel 7 Pro and if I set three objects in a row and focus on the middle one it does blur the front and rear object. However, I don't think it blurred the table surface that the front object was sitting on, but would need to do another test as the table surface I used didn't have much detail to observe.

I thought I'd give this a quick test with the Pixel 7 Pro and if I set three objects in a row and focus on the middle one it does blur the front and rear object. However, I don't think it blurred the table surface that the front object was sitting on, but would need to do another test as the table surface I used didn't have much detail to observe.
Interesting, I've never done a test that scientific to be honest. It is getting better all the time I suppose, and it's just software so it can be updated at any time as part of the camera app.

Well I'll be darned! I had another go and it does look like it applies blur to the foreground as well. I had focused directly on the middle screwdriver logo and it does look like the blur on the numbers is weighted more towards the foreground.

This is using the main camera sensor and there has just been a big update on the camera last week by Google.

Bokeh Test.jpg

Well I'll be darned! I had another go and it does look like it applies blur to the foreground as well. I had focused directly on the middle screwdriver logo and it does look like the blur on the numbers is weighted more towards the foreground.

This is using the main camera sensor and there has just been a big update on the camera last week by Google.

View attachment 405509
Tried earlier with the iPhone and that now blurs the foreground too.

Although the edge detection is still utterly woeful

Tried earlier with the iPhone and that now blurs the foreground too.

Although the edge detection is still utterly woeful

I think I would prefer it to be off by default and if I want it I can choose to use the portrait blur option in the editing features.

Back