phone plug to internet cable?

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
No
hi, ive got a phone port in my attic room, which is connected to the phone port downstairs. the internet modem/router thing is downstairs too. can you get a cable that will fit into the phone port in the attic room and the back of my computer, because the wireless strength is pretty bad this far away from the router.

thanks

something like ebay number 290512945891?

Not sure if it would work, and I can't vouch for the seller either.

The simple answer is no. Your phone line is connected to your modem router, which enables you to connect to the internet. If you wanted to use the phone connection in the attic you will need another modem or modem router. The only problem is you can usually only have one modem connected at one time.

An option you could look at is a range extender. These act as repeater stations, so you could us this to boost the wireless signal. I found this one on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7...0JVU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293731337&sr=8-2

You could run a Ethernet cable from the router( if it has the option) to your computer ( provided that it also has this option) but I suspect you don't really want cables all over the house.

Move the router to the upstairs room.

As long as all your used sockets have microfilters it doesn't matter.

Some service providers say the router has to be in the master socket. Mine never was and suffered no degradation of internet speed.

You would need to disconnect the cable downstairs and terminate it with a socket, then have one of the above cables at each end. One going into the computer, the other going into the router.

An easier option would be to disconnect the existing extension cable at both ends and terminate the cables with RJ45 plugs. These would plug straight into the router and the computer.

Not ideal, but cheap.

just use a pair of homeplugs, one upstairs with your computer and the other next to the router.

job done. no faffing with cables other than CAT5 between the homeplug and the router and the homeplug and computer.

that looks interesting, so one end fits the phone port and the other the ethernet port in the computer?

anyone know if thatd work?

Yes, I know.

And the answer is no.

Home plugs are the way to go. So simple to set up and use and are flexible enough to be useful for years ahead no matter how your circumstances, requirements or accommodation changes.

Like I said earleir I use them home plugs for my mother inlaws PC in the wing, my ps3 my little girls PC and the xbox.

So easy

spike

that looks interesting, so one end fits the phone port and the other the ethernet port in the computer?

anyone know if thatd work?

Can't see how it would work as there is no Modem involved, which you will need. I'd go for either the Extender or Homeplug option, price is about the same for both

hi, ive got a phone port in my attic room, which is connected to the phone port downstairs. the internet modem/router thing is downstairs too. can you get a cable that will fit into the phone port in the attic room and the back of my computer, because the wireless strength is pretty bad this far away from the router.

As others have said, this wont work. You also can't use the phone wiring with RJ45 (network) plugs attached, it doesn't have enough pairs and usually isn't the right cable spec.

I'm going to make a completely different suggestion which is to buy a reel of cat5e cable and wire your house for ethernet (I actually believe everyone should do this rather than use wireless networking).

No one heard of a hub, all my rooms upstairs have wired internet connections run from a hub in the loft

I'm going to make a completely different suggestion which is to buy a reel of cat5e cable and wire your house for ethernet (I actually believe everyone should do this rather than use wireless networking).

agreed, CAT5 is preferable but not always convinient.. i.e - long cable runs over different floors in rented accomodation for example

Last edited:
As others have said, this wont work. You also can't use the phone wiring with RJ45 (network) plugs attached, it doesn't have enough pairs and usually isn't the right cable spec.

right. as you may have guessed i know nothing of this sort of thing. ive got some cat5e cable, is it a case of running that from, say, where the main phone port and router/modem will be, up to the room you want it and then it goes into a socket which you will attach an ehternet cable to your computer from?

I've done it before.

As I said, not ideal - but cheap.

right. as you may have guessed i know nothing of this sort of thing. ive got some cat5e cable, is it a case of running that from, say, where the main phone port and router/modem will be, up to the room you want it and then it goes into a socket which you will attach an ehternet cable to your computer from?

Yeah, if you like imagine its a short length. You would connect it from the router to the RJ45 port on the machine.

The only thing different is the distance, so just run it from the router to your room.

Is the CAT5 cable bare or plugged? Its its bare you can drill smaller holes to get it where you need it to be, and pop some trunking on the wall to keep it tidy.

Andy

No direct experience of the plugs, but have a friend who uses them successfully. Her only advice was to get the ones with a socket included (unless you have sockets to spare).

..........Home plugs are the way to go. So simple to set up and use and are flexible enough to be useful for years ahead no matter how your circumstances, requirements or accommodation changes.

Well one thing's for sure, if he buys an old house with a few different circuits, I can assure you they will NOT work.

Been there and got the T-shirt!

Back