Phone upgrade

Name
Sean Logie
Edit My Images
Yes
Been a while since I've posted anything on here . I'm after your thoughts/experience of the latest mobiles . I've been a Sammy user for the last few years with no problem they just do what it says on the box but I'm after a change to a different make/model . Obviously the camera needs to be decent because I don't get the same time with the big camera nowadays and I near as dam it always have my phone with me .
Been looking at the samsung s9 (I have the s7 just now) the Huawei mate 20 pro, Google pixel 3 , Sony experia zx3 /zx4 . Anyone have any experience with these listed .

Thanks
Sean

Put it in the right forum and you might get better response.

I’d consider:
Mate 20 Pro
P20 Pro.
Pixel 3
iPhone XS

Thanks ...it's been a while so my apologies . IPhones are out ,I can't stand them. Did there not used to be a mobile phone section on here ? .

Thanks
Sean

Last edited:
Personal experience of S8+ to mate 20 pro. Really appreciate the wide angle rear camera. Good performance all round really different modes and navigation is simple. The portrait mode is ok-good. I would certainly recommend however the software processing on the pixel 3 is great too so that wouldn't be a bad choice either. If you look at the camera phone showdown MKBHD did on youtube recently the mate 20 pro was the overall winner but there was a lot of surprises as to which phones took good images.

iPhone x all the way for me. the camera isn't great but your buying it for a phone not a camera right>>???

Sorry Wouldn't have an iPhone if you payed for it ..... right ^^^??

Best phone is Apple iPhone XS, according to dpreview so I recommend that.

Read my post
I did but I think you should approach the problem, or any problem, without prejudice if you want to achieve the optimal solution.

Why add to the problem by purchasing an iPhone been there have the T-shirt, no iPhone for me again .

Might be worth reconsidering though. Phones evolve, operating systems evolve. No point in refusing to consider some great phones just because of a past issue surely?

I like the freedom on Android ,Apple is too limiting for me what with iTunes and the like .

Sean

iPhone x all the way for me. the camera isn't great but your buying it for a phone not a camera right>>???

I think you've got to look at these as a mobile information center these days, so depending on what/how you use it will depend on your requirements. For many the phone is their only or most frequently used camera, certainly for many it's the only device used to access the internet. Traditional uses such as phone calls and texting seem very little low priority with facebook and whatsapp etc taking over.
Thats puts connectivity ability (4g, wifi performance etc) quite high up for these devices, with camera, screen performance and speed also important.

How about a Galaxy Note 9? Great camera, the best screen of any device, of any kind, ever according to DisplayMate and incredible battery life. The S-Pen also makes photo editing in Lightroom Mobile very easy. They're a big phone but I've quickly gotten used to the size of mine, and picking up a normal sized phone feels very weird to me now.

How is iTunes limiting? You don’t have to buy music from the iTunes Store to use it.

Does IOS srltill require all file transfers to be through iTunes? That would be limiting.
Not sure what files you are transferring or to where, but you can save any files on iOS to ‘Files’ and then download them on other devices. This is using iCloud. There is also Airdrop where you send them directly, or send/receive to/from other people or yourself.

I would find it limiting if a phone I owned could not be simply connected with a cable and files dragged and dropped from one folder to another, or the micro SD card used for storage removed and placed in a card reader for transfer. But that does not answer the question that was asked earlier of another poster.

I've recently upgraded from a S7 Edge to a S9.

The S9's finger print reader is much more responsive than the S7 and the facial recognition is quite impressive as well.
I like the transfer experience using the usb dongle that Samsung supply, I first used it when I upgraded from a S5 to the S7 edge.
I use many apps and folder organiser is a good app for having shortcuts to apps, setting up from scratch would be a real pain.
I've also used Nova launcher as well for years.
Even though I backed up everything just in case there was no need to as the transfer also copied over the data as well the apps except for co pilot but this was quickly resolved.
The additional bloatware is my main bug with Samsung but then very few manufacturers use a clean version of Android.
Samsung have been criticised over the years with regard to them releasing updates but my S9 picked an update for Pie when I was setting it up.
If you are looking at a more expensive phone with a clean build of Android a friend of mine who is my phone guru rates the OnePlus 6T.

OnePlus do not have a totally clean version of Android. Their OS (OxygenOS) is certainly a lot cleaner what you find with Samsung, but has still been customised.

OnePlus do not have a totally clean version of Android. Their OS (OxygenOS) is certainly a lot cleaner what you find with Samsung, but has still been customised.
I stand corrected, thanks

Back