Photo Backup while Travelling

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Folks,

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on backing up SD Cards while travelling?
In the past I've used my tablet but its not really big enough space wise - I was thinking about a WD MyPassport Wireless Drive which has an SD Card Slot and WIFI built in and while its not hugely cheap it never hurts to have more storage I guess!

I also noticed the Kingston Mobilelite G2 which again is a wifi device with a USB Port and SD Card Reader so it looks like I could pair that with a standard external USB Hard Drive but wondered if anyone uses any of these?

I use a verbatim media share and back up to a USB drive, but you can back up to portable hard drives if you wish. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

I use a verbatim media share and back up to a USB drive, but you can back up to portable hard drives if you wish. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Thanks Snerker, that looks very similar to the Kingston Device actually!

Just for future ref, I ended up with the Kingston MobileLite G2 and a WD Passport Ultra Drive for backup, worked really well, I was able to backup each days shooting the HDD and edit some on the fly using the tablet, all in I was really pleased and for £25 I'd highly recommend the Kingston Wireless bit of kit!

I wish I'd gone for a wireless portable hdd. I find the cable to be a bit of a pita tbh. I may do cloud backup as a further backup, but the internet here in NZ is pretty woeful so it may not cope. I know I'll be fine when I get to Japan as their internet is great (at least where I'll be living anyway).

Just for future ref, I ended up with the Kingston MobileLite G2 and a WD Passport Ultra Drive for backup, worked really well, I was able to backup each days shooting the HDD and edit some on the fly using the tablet, all in I was really pleased and for £25 I'd highly recommend the Kingston Wireless bit of kit!

Was going to post a question about backing up SD cards on holiday but found you already had. Is this the type of thing you used? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passport-Wireless-Wi-Fi-Mobile-Storage/dp/B00N4QG8MQ Looking for something lightweight as luggage space will be tight.

Thanks

Ros

Was going to post a question about backing up SD cards on holiday but found you already had. Is this the type of thing you used? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passport-Wireless-Wi-Fi-Mobile-Storage/dp/B00N4QG8MQ Looking for something lightweight as luggage space will be tight.

Thanks

Ros

Hi Ros,

I actually used a Kingston G2 MobileLite whenI was away (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Companion-Storage-Battery-Charger/dp/B00KU2E9IW) using this to backup my shots to a Western Digital HDD, to be honest it was fairly straightforward and let me use the Wifi capability of the device to stream video to my tablet and do some light editing but I actually think if I did it again I'd consider the pricier Passport Wireless that you linked to in your post.

A little late to contribute, but I use a Colorspace UDMA2 with a 500GB drive inside. Well worth considering.

I've thought about backing up before, after considering the Kingston g2 mobilelite and the colourspace udma2 (actually purchased a udma2, it's a great bit of kit but sold it after working out I wouldn't use it enough and my camera can do the same thing) so I went with more memory cards. My camera has 2 memory card slots so I just backup to both straight away and keep the cards in different cases (one in my bag, one on me). Another option is to use the camera to copy the data from one full card to another empty card if I want a third copy of data.

I don't understand why the camera manufacturers haven't worked out a way to do a portable hard drive/USB drive you could connect directly to the camera to produce a backup. I'm guessing it's to do with powering a USB drive/hard drive and camera at the same time.

Edit: it all depends how long you will be travelling for. The small hard drives/udma2 would be great if you were away for a long time but if that was the case I would also think about some kind of cloud storage. The problem is you need two of them for true backup and they need to be kept separately (ie not next to each other in the same bag). The mobilite would be perfect as you could easily take a few hard drives. For a couple of days/weeks extra cards would probably be ok.

Last edited:
To return to this... just back (to Australia) from 2 months in Europe and Bangkok. Carried a 13 inch laptop and two bog standard USB3 HDDs. That means 3 copies (plus those on the cards if I didn't clear them) kept in 3 separate bags. Plus I had the laptop for editing if I felt like it, and invoicing, quoting, usual business stuff you still have to do while you're away.

Tablets have to get a lot better before I'll be interested in using them for anything other than watching YouTube.

ETA also means 5 minutes to export as catalogue, with all my edits, and ingest into my main Lightroom catalogue on the desktop once I'm home.

Last edited:
Admittedly I never go away for more than a week but I always have taken advantage of the second card slot to back up the days images. On my 5D3 I bought a 128 GB SD card and would copy the images from that day onto the SD card. As I never clear the CF card either then I have two copies. Cards are cheap these days and if I went away for longer I'd just buy more

A little late to contribute, but I use a Colorspace UDMA2 with a 500GB drive inside. Well worth considering.

:plus1: These are very good. Put a 120GB SSD in mine, copies over quickly for both RAW and JPEG and you can view on the little screen !!

I travel quite a bit for work and have a device that:
  1. acts as an access point for hotel ethernet, 3G dongle, bridged WiFi etc.
  2. streams files from a USB slot or SD card slot
  3. battery powered
  4. copies files from SD Card to USB Slot
However the copies are slow and unwieldy as the copy goes via the connected device.

Does anyone know of a similar device that allows a direct SD-USB copy?

Else, does anyone know of a UK distributor of the discontinued Colorspace UDMA2 or

Back