Photo Competitions - Voting is garbage!

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey Guys,

Anyone else come up in these facebook competition's where it works on votes?

I entered one of my underwater photos into a comp, at the moment I am second but keep slipping down the ranks over night.

It works off votes, so basically the person who gets the most friends to do it ever 24 hours wins. So photos that are photographically poor at best keep going above me.

Anyone else had this problem?

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys,

Anyone else come up in these facebook competition's where it works on votes?

I entered one of my underwater photos into a comp, at the moment I am second but keep slipping down the ranks over night.

It works off votes, so basically the person who gets the most friends to do it ever 24 hours wins. So photos that are photographically poor at best keep going above me.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

Ryan

My thoughts are that you aren't really asking for people to vote for you...... but.......... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Nope. But that's probably because I don't do Facebook.
TBH these competitions are nothing to do with photography, and are all to do with how many friends you have. If you actually want to win something on photographic merit, then look for some proper photo competitions and don't bother with the ones on FB.

BTW I've removed the link from your thread, as it comes across as a public invitation to vote for you - something that we don't allow on the forum. By all means embed your image in your post if you want to show it to illustrate your point.

Fair enough Sarah I understand that, I was trying to illustrate the point that poor photos can beat some that are alot better due to the amount of friends.

There has also been alot of entries removed that were not the submitters photo which is yet another big problem with these types of competition.

And would you not enter if there was a chance in winning some new gear?

312675_10150431738497718_636717717_10214149_1235252884_n.jpg

My entered image for anyone interested.

Fair enough Sarah I understand that, I was trying to illustrate the point that poor photos can beat some that are alot better due to the amount of friends.

Completely agree. They're nothing more than popularity contests with only the vaguest link to photography - the winner is very rarely going to be the person who submits the best photo.

And would you not enter if there was a chance in winning some new gear?

Oh I'm not opposed to entering comps and taking a punt on winning some new gear - I just don't really see the point in putting the effort into those "vote for me" FB type things. As I said above, they had may as well title them "most popular photographer comp" instead :LOL:

p.s. I do have a soft spot for underwater photography, so I'd like to see your entry if you could put it in the thread. Unfortunately, not having a FB account meant that I couldn't have viewed it through that link anyway.

Poodle contests on Facebook.. fractionally less annoying than the ego spinach groups on Flickr.

Unless a competition is juried with a jury you respect, it's highly unlikely you'll get a result you'll respect.

I am surprised the thread was even started to be quite honest.
What do people expect from anything where there is no means of "control"

I do like the photograph though.

No point in them really, look I've got more friends than you, nar nar na nar nar.

Yeah, they're about marketing, not about photography (Best I saw was a local bridal wear shop where the 'best romantic story' got to win a £1000 dress - ended up neck and neck with two girls, each one a couple of votes ahead at any one time - when voting closed the shop gave the winner the prize and the runner up got £999 towards a dress!)

Just wanted to say though - really love that shot, I remember seeing it when you had a thread up earlier in the year.

Most of the photo comps I've seen on Facebook have a clause in the small print that you are giving up copyright or at least giving universal and unlimited license for the use of your image, they are just a way for companies to get huge numbers of stock images for free.

Whats facebook, seriously I am proud NOT to have used farcebook, twatter or any others thank you.

Just don't enter them. As you've realised, they're just popularity contests and all you're doing is giving yourself unnecessary angst by entering them.

Just like most, I don't bother entering anymore. I used to. And found same, I'd be leading for a bit, then over taken by more 'popular' people and they'd end up running away with it. Not worth the frustration. they're not real photography comp's, just mere popularity/advertising gimmicks [get 1000 people to join our page and vote for you!!]

Avoid.

Your image is brill btw, maybe enter it into some more genuine competitions. Don't lose heart.

Whats facebook, seriously I am proud NOT to have used farcebook, twatter or any others thank you.

So you dont use anything where you sit in front of a computer and interact wiht others using the keyboard do you not?

:)

?

So you dont use anything where you sit in front of a computer and interact wiht others using the keyboard do you not?

:)

?

Not pratsites, forums yes where you meet interesting like minded people who share an interest but not old woman gossip for the sake of it sites, in fact I dont even text except my son, and still use a Cross fountain pen, whan my teenage son leaves home (PLEASE) back will go Sky.

great shot ryan (y)

However, like suggested above, it's usually a case of many people you can get voting for you on faceache

It was shot in Tenerife when I went earlier in the year, it was a fantastic experience

I love Tenerife for diving. The sites are always so nice and quiet. Who did you dive with? And can you remember where you saw the turtle? There was a feisty turtle at The Rays just off Las Galletas but she's not been seen for a few years. Unfortunately she was very tame as she was fed when some people were feeding the rays :shake:

I can't wait to get back to Tenerife next year for some diving. It'll be my first time back in the water for 18 months or so.

Back