Photo Diary from the Isle of Canna - includes all 15 sets of images

Dazzajl, Forbiddenbiker - thanks :)
It's great to know a few people are reading this thread as it takes a surprisingly large chunk of each evening to process the images from the day and get them up on the web.
At least I won't have a monumental job to do when I get back home; processing 3000+ images in one go would have been rather overwhelming :D

Yesterday evening was unusual - I showed this thread to my Mum, then showed her the full set of keepers. I've done this every night so far and last night was the first time she told me I selected the wrong images - not just a couple, but most of them!!!
Much as would like to dismiss my Mum's opinion (Judges, etc, etc), she has a very good eye and I've a feeling she may be right. Perhaps I was more tired than I thought.

Not sure if I'll get out with the camera today as I've offered to help a new couple move into their house. It's causing huge excitement on Canna because there are so few families and because they are taking on a key role in the Canna community - feeding the visitors..... This article in The Times sums it up nicely; the image The Times has used neatly crops the house off the right hand edge where I am writing this post.

Unless the whole island turns out to help empty their over-laden removal van I could be there most of the day and I will be shattered.
If that happens then tonight you will get "Sanday - The Mothers Cut......" :naughty:

We also have to hoover and pack tonight as the ferry arrives tomorrow mid-morning and we wont have time. The ferry takes the long way back calling in at all three other Small Isles - it's a six hour sailing and we arrive at Mallaig in the dark !!!!!!!!! :eek:

There ought to be some cracking piccies taken from the boat journey and I'll post those in my final diary entry once I've got home to Somerset.

It was a good day - The removal van was unpacked and I got the DIY finished by lunchtime :)
So I revisited Corrigan and ending up sitting on a hill above the beach soaking in the atmosphere while the sun set - I was up there for nearly two hours listening to the squawking birds and barking seals on top of the background noise of gentle lapping by the almost mill-pond smooth sea.
It's my last night on Canna and it was very good for my soul.
Got some photos too.........

1) This is Neil, gardener at Canna house. Most of Canna is now free of snow and ice, but his vegetable garden is still in deep permafrost. The rabbits have also been attacking his leeks - he's not happy.....
20100108-141426-P1040591.jpg

2) My final visit to Corrigan and it looks as good as ever.
20100108-143524-P1040613.jpg

3) A slightly different perspective on the Canna woodland. I like the different colours and textures of the different tree types.
20100108-150944-IMG_6343.jpg

4) When I got to the top of the hill it was already looking good and I could tell from the lack of clouds on the horizon that it was going to get even better.
20100108-154256-IMG_6379.jpg

5) The harbour at Canna looking almost idyllic.
20100108-154308-IMG_6380.jpg

Last edited:
6) The sunset over Skye puts last night into perspective, this was superb.
20100108-160452-IMG_6430.jpg

7) St Edwards looking spectacularly cold after sunset.
20100108-162224-IMG_6457.jpg

8) Once again looking west produces spectacularly different colours. This is the view from the Sanday Bridge towards Hyskeir.
20100108-163331-IMG_6468.jpg

9) The view down the Canna coastline. The shelf below the cliffs is The Nunnery. An abandoned convent and definitely the hardest place to reach on Canna. I've never made it to the Nunnery, the sheep track down the cliffs is REALLY scary.
20100108-163400-IMG_6469.jpg

10) Another view from Sanday Bridge towards Hyskeir. not sure is I like this one or 8 better, I like them both - your thoughts please!
20100108-164109-IMG_6479.jpg

Another view from Sanday Bridge towards Hyskeir. not sure is I like this one or 8 better, I like them both - your thoughts please!

I like 10 a little better, they both work but the closer foreground of the last one just makes the lead through more powerful.

Hyskeir is a brilliant little place. The most brilliant basalt formations, grasses clinging on for dear life, great bays and some utterly brilliant rust.

Enjoy your trip back over to Mallaig and the big run all the way down the hill to the soft south. :)

Just a quick post to say I've arrived back in Somerset and my pipes are still intact.
It was my fastest ever journey - 9 hours from Glenuig (near Mallaig) to Somerset - previous land speed record 9.5 hours on an overnight run - it shows how much difference it makes having empty roads even though I was taking it easy because of the weather.

Final diary entry tomorrow night......

I've really enjoyed looking through this thread.

Some super shots of a few familiar places.

Thanks for sharing.

Just getting my final piccies up - I'll thank and respond to the earlier posts shortly.
The return ferry trip went round the other three Small Isles resulting in a 6 hour sailing!!!!
Very nice to see the other islands though as some day I would like to visit them.

1) Farewell to Canna. I'm a big softy; there was a tear in my eye as the ferry rounded the headland and I lost sight of the harbour.
20100109-104208-P1040666.jpg

2) Departing from Rhum. The cloud is low hiding the huge mountains that loom over the bay. Strewth it looked cold and bleak!
20100109-120929-P1040679.jpg

3) North corner of Eigg. Just on the right of this shot is the start of the Bay of Laig where many of the UK's best landscape photographers have snapped some monumentally good images.
20100109-122752-IMG_6493.jpg

4) Greeting the ferry on Isle of Muck. On all four Small Isles the arrival of the ferry is a huge social event and a lot of the islanders turn out to exchange news as well as pick up their post and provisions. The van belongs on the ferry and drives up the ramp each time the ferry docks; it's normal for it to be the centre of attention.
20100109-132435-IMG_6513.jpg

Last edited:
5) This great prow stands tall over Eigg harbour. One of the things I really want to do is climb that; it's much more gentle up the back and not as formidable as this image makes it look. The view from the top ought to be legendary.
20100109-140642-IMG_6525.jpg

6) CalMac is the lifeline, absolutely everything arrives by ship. Here building supplies are being offloaded from one of the ferry trucks.
20100109-141633-IMG_6534.jpg

7) This is a video still from the drive between Mallaig and Fort William. Much less extreme weather than the rest of the UK was experiencing, but it was a Winter Wonderland and a privilege to be driving through it.
20100110-083710-P1040689.jpg

I'm a little shocked to discover I took 3675 images in two weeks and have marked 1516 as keepers.
If I'd have left all the grading till I got home I'm not sure I would have ever started as the size of the job would have been overwhelming.

It took roughly two hours each day to empty the cards, grade the images including deleting duffers/boring/duplicates, select some this thread and write the thread content.
This wouldn't have been possible without the tolerance of my Mum who took enough chores from me to allow me the spare time.
It was a much bigger task than I ever anticipated and right now I'm not entirely sure I did the right thing as it was a huge effort and I shall be making it up to my Mum for some considerable time.

However, my Mum very much enjoyed reading all your responses which helped a lot.

Last edited:
dazzajl, Forbiddenbiker, Tobers, Wilbaroo, chewyuk, dinners, Pennard Pen Pal and everyone else; thanks so much for the lovely messages.

I'll happily answer questions about kit, technique or the Isle of Canna, just add them onto this thread.
All the best for 2010 - Duncan

I'm a little shocked to discover I took 3675 images in two weeks and have marked 1516 as keepers.

That’s quite a hit rate, I think somehow that shows through in your shots. One frame at a time I'd imagine, with thought given to every one, that’s the only way in my book.

One or several of these are quite superb Duncan :clap: ...am I making your mum proud? ;) :D

A big big thanks to your Mum from me. :love:

Reading the thread and seeing the images fresh from each day was great and captured the trip in a way that wouldn't have happened with one big post after the event. (y)

Excellent thread, thoughly enjoyed looking at your photographs.

The images where well thought out and well worth sharing. Now for the other 1400+ images :LOL:

Excellent set, thank you for all the work you've put in. You should be proud of what you've achieved.:clap::clap:

I'll echo what others have said, a truly great thread and a pleasure to view and read.

Thanks very much for sharing.

I really want to visit the small isles sometime, I remember seeing Canna from Elgol and wondering what it was like. Now I know!

Thanks for the feedback - I know my Mum will appreciate it ;)

I just realised that although I kept 1516, which seems an awful lot.
There are 141 posted in this thread!
When it's put like nearly one in 10 of my keepers was good enough for this thread it doesn't seem so outrageous.
There were loads of images I wanted to put up here, but I worked very hard to keep it down to 10 or less images a day otherwise this thread would have been ridiculous!

Time to make a start on that book :)

Just worked out something astonishing!
All the images in this thread are hosted on a very out of date website that I need to do something better with, but it's a good dumping ground for forum images.
I got an alert about website traffic and the stats are VERY interesting.

In the first 13 days of Jan there have been 28345 images downloaded by reference from Talk Photography!!!!! :eek:

One thing's for sure....
There are a lot more people looking at this thread than posting comments!
To those that have contributed - cheers :cool:
Please leave a comment - it's much appreciated (y)

One thing's for sure....
There are a lot more people looking at this thread than posting comments!
To those that have contributed - cheers :cool:
Please leave a comment - it's much appreciated (y)

I've been one of those, checking in each day to see the updates, and never being disappointed. Truly spectacular images from the off; thanks for posting them I've enjoyed your trip!

Time to make a start on that book :)

Cough cough

I was mailing a friend up in this neck of the woods today and got to thinking about this thread. Really needed lifting to the top again for others to discover. (y)

Blimey - a thread resurrection!
I've shown the images to a couple of camera clubs (well recieved), but other than that have had a pretty relaxed year's photography. No exhibitions (had two last year) and never did that book.
Been out enjoying my photography instead - it's been a very pleasant year :)

I'm back to Canna again for Xmas and New Year - but with one HUGE difference.
Instead of borrowing a comfy warm house - we are staying in the birdwatchers bothy!!!!
It's very basic - I had to check whether it has leccy.
Should be a real adventure.

Also - the 24mm TSE was an experiment to see if I got on with the lens - I love it.
So I've upgraded to the MkII ready for the triip North.
The old lens was good enough for printing to A3, but the 5DII really showed it's limitations.
The new lens - WOW!
Really looking forward to giving it some heavy use.....

and never did that book.
Been out enjoying my photography instead - it's been a very pleasant year

Good grief man, this is about me not you ;) would still love to see that book.

Christmas and new year on canna sounds wild, literally. Planing a trip to knoydart for Jan, can't wait. :)

Hi Duncan,

I've been searching for photographs of Tarbert Beach on Canna and Google directed me to your thread. I'm new to this site so have no idea if this is appropriate or not, but would you consider selling me some of your images?

My father was a keen sailor and Canna was his favourite island. He drowned in September and his body was found on Canna, I think on Tarbert Beach. I won't be able to visit the island until at least the summer and I'd love to have a good photo of it before then.

Many thanks,
Emily Hall

Emily, I've sent you a PM.
I'm deeply sorry, I've only just spotted your post; this is the first time I've visited this thread since my Christmas / New Year visit to Canna.

I believe it must have been your father's body that the Canna community talked about recovering. It left a deep impression on them. I'm sure you will be made welcome. I suggest calling Canna and speaking to Stuart, Estate Manager for the National Trust for Scotland; as decent and helpful a bloke as you will ever get to meet.

In response to your question - I'd be honoured; please get in touch.

Back