Photo Editing Software

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks....

Another newbie question to pester you with ,

Just purchased my first DSLR...

Wondered which software you guys use / recommend

Budget is tight at the mo so something cheap or free (even better) is what i would like to get me started :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Ben
;)

I personally have Photoshop but it is far from cheap even with the new pay monthly option. There is a program called GIMP which is absolutely free and is very feature packed but also probably quite complicated if you don't really use that sort of software.

I suppose it depends what you want to do and how much control you want to have. But I believe Adobe Lightroom is a popular choice and I haven't heard many bad things said about it.

Did the camera not come with some software? My Sony came with some Raw editing software which i believe does the basics.

Welcome aboard (y)

Which camera have you bought? If it's from a major manufacturer they will have their own free software which will be on the CD that came with the camera (maybe), or will be available from their website.

The latest version of Nikon's editor is View NX2 v2.3.0, and is quite good.

Hi Guys,

I have bought a Canon 500D

It probably does have some software....but it is not being delivered until next weekend :crying:

Too excited to wait :LOL:
I just wanted to get my hands on some software to start learning the ropes

Kind Regards

Ben
;)

I would guess it will come with software, maybe you can even get the software from the Canon website to start playing about with. Past that I would seriously consider lightroom, just had a quick look at it after posting and it seems a lot of software for the money and very easy to use.

:)

Hi Guys,

I have bought a Canon 500D

It probably does have some software....but it is not being delivered until next weekend :crying:

Too excited to wait :LOL:
I just wanted to get my hands on some software to start learning the ropes

Kind Regards

Ben
;)

Hi Ben & welcome

Yes Canon supply software with their bodies, which is quite good...

Install the disc on your PC, then go to Canon Europe website and update to the latest versions. You must have the original software on your PC to put the updates on, but they are supplied free...

Good luck with your new body

Yep use Digital Photo Professional that comes with the Canon Camera, you can get the latest version from the Canon website, the version updates will look for a version on your PC though. Have a search for a thread on this as there is a work round to install without that, or you could just wait :)

I have a 450D and just use the free DPP software that came with my camera for all my editing and converting from RAW. I find it very easy to use, including the quick check function to determine which pictures you wish to keep.

If you do not wish to splash out on anything yet, start with that and then see if you need more.

Another vote for the free Photoscape. It must be one of the easiest editors to use.

For many of my photos it does all I need, if I need something more I use GIMP.

Dave

Have a look on Amazon. You can get Photoshop Elements 6 (that was the first one to include RAW ) for £9, and Scott Kelby's PSE6 book for around the same price. That'll get you started and you can upgrade as and when.

paint.net is another windoze package, looks a lot like photoshop, but I have only used viewNx that came with the Nikon, I find that suffcient.

+1 for the gimp, I found it quite easy to use but there again, some have found it quite difficult to use.

However now that I mainly shoot in raw format, I have just got myself photoshop elements 10, which was on a special from currys.

Vote here for irfanview

http://www.irfanview.com/

I particularly like it for converting raw files to jpegs. Has some good automated tools, e.g. auto sharpen and auto correct colours, but you can obviously do a large amount of manual edits.

The other thing I really like about it, is you can batch process a number of conversions with the same auto processes.

The Canon tool is also very good.

Enjoy your new purchase, I know you will!

WOW what a fantasic forum :clap:

Many thanks for all the replies

I really appreciate all the info

Kind Regards

Ben
;)

Back