photo frame taken from a camcorder video

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
can one get a good photo from a video frame? the answer is yes depending on camcorder of courseand subject matter

unedited straight from camcorder video frame (4k )

11000131 by bazza, on Flickr (Panasonic HC-X1500)

one thing to bear in mind that it is different from a still photo in the fact that the camcorder is recording while for example during a" panning" movement which this was. However I think the above by just looking at it one would find it hard to see if it was taken from a still camera or from a camcorder still.
one advantage is having 1000's of frames to choose from depending of video length, as well as getting subject in right position from individual frames

original video

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/156130854@N02/53503038633/in/dateposted-friend/

Obviously I understand subject matter comes into play ,such as bird photography ( I will have to try that with the camcorder later on this year). For scene type photos using a camcorder and not having to carry umpteen lenses and filters to me makes sense. one has both video and stills choice

Last edited:
My Sony does a 4k burst mode, you hold the shutter button down and get a short clip and the option to save frames out. That works quite well. The hard part is going through loads of frames to find one you like. :)

It will work best with scenes that don't have much movement don't forget ideally you have a relatively slow shutter for video not sure if camcorders especially try to do that unless set up manually. I often grab a frame from action cam video especially which usually is doing faster shutter anyway.

Back