Photo frames

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I have just made my first prints and I am looking to frame them. I like looking for frames in charity shops, but the pickings were slim on my last trip.

I am hoping someone can advise me on a make a model of frame that I can stock up on. I am after a reasonable balance of budget and quality. Frames that are quite plain are fine.

I can just order whatever amazon top pick but I was hoping someone might have a bit more insight into this. I would like something decent since I am putting the effort in on making my best images possible and making the best prints possible. Seems like a waste to stick them in a flimsy cheapo frame.

All the best,

Gordon

Local framing places might be able to do a decent deal on a batch. They could also make the mounts if you wanted them as well as frames.

Local framing places might be able to do a decent deal on a batch. They could also make the mounts if you wanted them as well as frames.
I really like the idea of spending good money on a bespoke frame for a photo that I think is fantastic, but for now I think that will probably exceed my budget for getting my first prints framed. I should have mentioned that I am looking at £10-£20 for a frame.

Much more in line with mass produced stuff than hand crafted stuff. I was hoping someone would have a go to 'cheap' frame that they have experience with and isn't garbage

Last time I looked at the Range and Ikea frames, they were either crap (loose corners, dinged mouldings etc.) or had acrylic "glass". Had some plain Ash frames made for some panoramas (24" x 4" and 6") and they were well under £20 each.

I bought some of these

and these

and they're actually very nice quality. As stated above at least you can pick them up and check them for damage before buying them.

I think most frames in shops these days have acrylic glass. Just like everything these days, they're all made to a price and I wouldn't be surprised if elf and safety has something to do with it

Last edited:
I'll vouch for those black inlay frames from the Range.

I have bought many.

They really are great for the money.

Gaz

Last time I looked at the Range and Ikea frames, they were either crap (loose corners, dinged mouldings etc.) or had acrylic "glass". Had some plain Ash frames made for some panoramas (24" x 4" and 6") and they were well under £20 each.
That's much more affordable than I was expecting. I think the places near me are considerably more expensive than that.

I have never even heard of The Range, but those look like what I was after. Thanks to everone who suggested those.

I am looking forward to getting my photo's framed. First I had to learn about photography and I thought that was it... Then I needed to learn about scanning and I thought I had it covered... Next came printing and I thought that had to be the final stage... Now I need to sort out frames...

One day soon I will get to look at a picture I took and be happy that its finished.

The last time I needed frames I went the bespoke route.

I used this company

Now granted at the time I bought multiples but even for one off's (subject to the cost of delivery?) I recall they were good value.

I bought as follows:-
Frames only to suite the mounts I had to hand.
Frames with custom mounts
Mounts only.

The parcels came very well wrapped.

I did have a QC issue that they resolved 100% with a remake & FoC collection of the "wrong un's" (NB the comms about this included me taking photos of the issue and them agreeing to the resolution.

FWIW when I need more frames I will be using them again :)

In regard to glazing, the above only offer Acrylic but in a few grades including UV protection grade.

Ref: the likes of IKEA etc, I note and have concerns that what many supply is actually Styrene and that is not Acrylic that is usable in photographic framing.

PS one day I might have some imagery worthy of framing with museum grade anti-reflection glass ;)

acrylic glass
An oft-used oxymoron, along with the more generic 'plastic glass'. I wish there could be a bit more clarity (!) in the world. To me, glass is .... glass. Great clarity, hard to scratch, and easy to recycle if damaged.

An oft-used oxymoron, along with the more generic 'plastic glass'. I wish there could be a bit more clarity (!) in the world. To me, glass is .... glass. Great clarity, hard to scratch, and easy to recycle if damaged.
Or more appropriate.....
Acrylic glazing, much like one might "Polycarbonate glaze" a conservatory roof. As you say glass is 'glass' :)

Last edited:
Or more appropriate.....
Acrylic glazing, much like one might "Polycarbonate glaze" a conservatory roof. As you say glass is 'glass' :)
But you have a job seeing through volcanic lava, which is just one type of glass :p
Back on topic, I normally get frames from Wilko or M&S. You sometimes need to reject a lot of the stuff in store as some have poor joints or are damaged. For special prints I use a local framing shop which is surprisingly good value.

B+M are surprisingly good, and very cheap. I usually overpaint the frame, black dragged over their gilt looks good, and ditch the glass.......

I ditch the glass. Unless you have museum grade glass it gives nasty reflections, and I wax almost all my matte prints, which makes them (gently) wipe-down. And unless you are doing limited editions, if a print fades...you know what, you can print another!

I use these guys : FPCO

You get what you pay for with frames like anything

Last edited:
No, bee free :)

You should try it. If you use Museum Wax and don't buff, you make no difference to the shine, If you buff you can get the most lovely sheen. Beeswax mixes work well too. There might be some yellowing over time with beeswax, but so do varnished paintings and people accept that. The cleanability is also a big plus, and you don't need to be too too gentle. It's a bit like art restorers on the telly doing the full white glove and slow breathing bit, in practice they can be pretty gung-ho. Try it.

Of course it isn't right for every image, by a long way.....!

At a £10-£20 price point you are looking at The Range or Ikea as your best bets.

Back