Photo Import - RAW/NEF - too slow

Edit My Images
No
Folks, some thoughts on this if you can.

Just been out taking a few snaps(141 NEF RAW avg 8meg each), and decided to preview them in Lightroom, so pull them off the card (21minutes), then import them into Lightroom. No idea how long that has been going on, but I have had time to browse a few forums, post this, and its STILL going on.

So, is this a problem with SD cards, NEF, or a common experience (stop moaning)?
For reference, Sandisk ExtremeIII SD Card, PC is dual 2.8ghz pentium , 4gb memory, 700gb HD, loads of room on the HD.

How are you getting them off the card...card reader or from the camera via firewire?

^^ Either way, it shouldn't take that long!

My download process was:

1. Plug in cable to camera
2. Use bridge to download & sort (deleting the crap)
3. Import into Lightroom

to download 163 files from a 2gb card probably took 2/3 minutes max.

I don't use LR to import, as I find it really slow.

Thats a strange one is that!

i am going through mine at 15/16 a time and it slows down slightly after 100

pc spec is very similar to yours

edit - i copy mine from card reader into a folder (normally takes 6/7 mins per 4gb)

then open 15/16 a time in CS2

I find a card reader is usually quicker. And handier.

I am using the SD reader that came built into the PC.

I have a standalone USB card reader, but dont see why that would be quicker via USB2 hub than the inbuilt card reader.

Either way, I would like to find a quicker way to import images than my current, make a cup of tea, mow the lawn, come back and see how far its got option.

Next time, I'll go via the camera, and compare that to a card reader via USB2.

Also....plucking up courage to buy CS3, I assume Bridge comes with that and not standalone?

Back