Midlands Photo Locations in Birmingham, UK

Name
Anonymous
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I was wondering if people would be kind enough to name some nice locations for photography in Birmingham. I recently visited the Coventry Transport Museum which was good and it allowed me to test my low light capabilities of my lens. Another location which I'd recommend is Millennium Point. The gardens outside are really nice but apart from these 2, I find myself exhausted for ideas.

I was thinking of visiting parks such as Cannon Hill but I'd like locations where their water features (River or waterfall). I was always get slightly apprehensive whenever I take my camera probably due to value and I suppose my lacking confidence. Some plant life would be great, I'd like locations which are well, free to go to as well as opposed to pay admission if I can help it.

Thank You

Use it as an excuse to get out of Birmingham and as far as you can. Best things start around 2-3 hours away.

My mode of transport limits me to inside the county sadly. I like to think the country's 2nd largest city must have some nice photography locations.

Botanical Gardens Edgbaston.
Birmingham Nature Centre.
The canals in Birmingham city centre
Winterbourne Gardens Edgbaston.
Library of Birmingham. (even if you do not like it's architecture you get great views from the viewing galleries and roof top garden)

Just for starters

Last edited:
I've visited Cannon Hill Park recently and its a nice location. It has some water features which combined with long exposure made for some really good shots.

I've jumped onto this long exposure bandwagon for now and I was wondering if anyone knows of any public places were their are nice water features such as fountains and what not ? I've also taken an interest in photographing night traffic, so if possible could I also get any locations for bridges which oversee traffic ? I also visited the Swan Centre recently and the bridge there is good for long exposure shots of traffic going past.

Thanks

Sutton Park in Sutton Coldfield has loads of lakes of varying size but I'm not sure of the fountains etc.

For bridges/traffic try anywhere around the inner ring. 5 Ways on Hagley Rd, a bridge overlooking the A38(M) or Queensway where it enters/exits the tunnel

Thanks for the website ! Its good but I find it doesn't seem to show what I'm after although it's provided some good locations for me to consider.

Many thanks for locations. A friend of mine who I tag along with on occasions is experimenting with the water side of long exposure so ideally flowing water is what he's after. Their was a grand fountain in the city centre which wetted my appetite until I found out it's been replaced with some plants :(

long exposure wise at night, where the tram exits town near snow hill is a good spot for light trail of trams with the right timing, security sometimes get annoyed though. selfridges building in the centre can be cool too, you get ok views from roadside outside moor st carpark below the bridge across. This is also ok for light trails but from moor street car park level 6, the outdoor bit of this is good and can do light trails of the traffic with the cool building there. wide angle lens definitely required!
used to like moat st car park at the top for shots of the back of bullring, or across digbeth but mostly fenced now so a bit of a ball ache to do anything tripod related there. Underneath the dual carriageway by the mailbox outside parking is quite cool too. Can get some interesting shots there with a bit of creativity.

Haven't done it, but possibly up the hill from pagoda island you might be able to get some traffic long exposures looking down, though I'm not sure its a particularly great view, though might be worth a look.

the german markets at the moment block up the area around the floozie (fountain) up by town hall and may be drained at mo but can't quite remember.
ill probably do some night photography in brum at some point in the next few weeks so if you want more company too could do a mini meet up and find some spots.

The canals, aside from the ones near the mailbox can get a little homelessy/sketchier at night too fyi

actually come to think of it, the ferris wheel i think is back in brum for xmas, and so shots of this from the library would be pretty cool and doable - long exposure wise.

Some great tips. I'm hunting for new places, specifically safe but interesting places for me to shoot video at the same time as photos, i.e. for my youtube reviews where I talk to the camera. I'm ok for places with just the camera for stills, but setting up the tripod with the 80D for talking to the camera is a different security issue :D

Clent hills (nice few pubs there as well).
Leasowes Park.
Lots of architecture in Birmingham.
Canals as mentioned all around Bham and surrounding areas.
Corngreaves Park - nice grounds/few woodpeckers etc

Cannon Hill Park has some great floral displays. They even have a few chutes which are tricky for long exposures ! My first ever long exposure was a 10 second shot with the camera resting on a gate ! Suffice it to say, considering it was my first ever long exposure shot, I quite liked it !

Is anyone aware of any bridges or public walk ways which oversee road traffic ? I'd quite like to take long exposures but ideally from above and also of junctions so the light streams conform to the curvature of the road ?

In Quinton near the cinema there's a bridge that is over the M5, plenty of places to park as well.

There's an easy one at Holloway Circus in the Centre by the Raddison that overlooks a main artery.

2P8g7MO.jpg

I've been looking into the latter post quite recently and I'm considering it. That car park, I assume is the only real vantage point which oversees that entire junction is it ?

Potentially the hotel or flats but it's not guaranteed and 1- you'd probably have to hire a room and 2- the flats were tricky to get into in the past

Bumping this as I am heading into Birmingham tomorrow for some street photography with a friend.

So far I am thinking Mailbox/Gas St Basin/Brindley Place/Library, but open to further suggestions from people who may know better. I also work in Birmingham, so keen to do some more photography after work etc.

Bumping this as I am heading into Birmingham tomorrow for some street photography with a friend.

So far I am thinking Mailbox/Gas St Basin/Brindley Place/Library, but open to further suggestions from people who may know better. I also work in Birmingham, so keen to do some more photography after work etc.
Maybe, add to it Digbeth, top of Bullring Selfridge's car park for a view or two (not street but hey). In and around the three train stations too.

Last edited:
The University Of Birmingham on the Bristol Road is a good spot for architectural photos. Lots of variety ranging from Victorian to modern.
My favourites there are the brutalist buildings.
Winterbourne House & gardens are next door (it belongs to the uni), so worth a visit combined with a stroll around the main uni campus.
The Barber Institute of art is on the main campus, but dunno what their policy on photography inside is like.

Surprised no one has mentioned Aston Hall!! Not open whenever Aston Villa are playing at home as they let fans use the car park!!

I got some decent photos on a tour of the National Trust "Back to Backs"
Very interesting too, how did they get so many kids in one house

DSCF2148 1.jpg

Back