Photo Mechanic Captions

Edit My Images
No
I converted to using Photo Mechanic this season and I'm finding it superb, ingest is so quick on the locked photos.

I am wondering how you guys set up your default code replacements and Stationary Pad on import as I've never really spoken to anyone about this program so finding my wn way through it..

This is what I currently do

I set my IPTC Stationary Pad up along the lines of

"at Ground A in the Heinz Beans League, 22 Month 2010" - so every file will have this

In the codereplace text file would you do for example

1) \ch8\ Frank Lampard
2) \ch8\ Chelsea Midfielder Frank Lampard - I currently use this format
3) \ch8\ Something else?

I'm trying to reduce the amount of typing I'm doing. Most of my captions will
either be Player A tackles Player B or Play A celebrates scoring... etc

so each file all I do is type "\ch1\ tackles/celes" "at Ground A in the Heinz Beans League, 22 Month 2010"

Like I say this is the way I have found to work the best so far so any help/advice would be welcome, maybe this is the best way?

Are there any other PM must do's that I haven't found yet?

I converted to using Photo Mechanic this season and I'm finding it superb, ingest is so quick on the locked photos.

I am wondering how you guys set up your default code replacements and Stationary Pad on import as I've never really spoken to anyone about this program so finding my wn way through it..

This is what I currently do

I set my IPTC Stationary Pad up along the lines of

"at Ground A in the Heinz Beans League, 22 Month 2010" - so every file will have this

In the codereplace text file would you do for example

1) \ch8\ Frank Lampard
2) \ch8\ Chelsea Midfielder Frank Lampard - I currently use this format
3) \ch8\ Something else?

I'm trying to reduce the amount of typing I'm doing. Most of my captions will
either be Player A tackles Player B or Play A celebrates scoring... etc

so each file all I do is type "\ch1\ tackles/celes" "at Ground A in the Heinz Beans League, 22 Month 2010"

Like I say this is the way I have found to work the best so far so any help/advice would be welcome, maybe this is the best way?

Are there any other PM must do's that I haven't found yet?

I have a number of code replacement files set up...

on one file I have:

/ch/ which would be "Chelsea"
/ch8/ which would be "Chelsea's Frank Lampard
/,ch8/ which would be "Frank Lampard"

on a seperate file I have things like:
/t/ which would be "is tackled by"
/c1/ which would be "celebrates scoring the opening goal"
/c1t/ which would be "celebrates scoring the opening goal with team-mate"

So one of my captions would be (for example):
/ch8/ /c1t/ /,ch26/

which would "decode" to:
Chelsea's Frank Lampard celebrates scoring the opening goal with team-mate John Terry.

I put a load of other gumpf in before and after the caption, most of which is related to the licensing conditions and my employers.

Have to agree PM is a great tool. For captioning i use the following format

\ch8\ Chelsea's Frank Lampard

then i have replacements setup for popular phrases, such as

\t\ is tackled by
\yc\ is shown a yellow card
\g\ scores his sides first goal

etc etc

i would then have one \a\ that contained something like

during todays premier league game between chelsea and arsenal at stamford bridge.

if you PM me you email address i will send you one of my code replacement files so you can see how i have it all set up

Last edited:
now thats a good idea!!

I hadnt thought of doing a second one without the club prefix, i am forever having to delete the club name when captioning multiple players from the same team in 1 image!! :clap:

Precisely why I did it mate! Also, I wholeheartedly recommend footballsquads.co.uk as being a very good source of info...

all i have are team name + player name and as above...and just player name .. same code but prefixed with ,

for some reason i thought everyone did that :)

for some reason i thought everyone did that :)

Top info chaps, The silly questions are always the best ones, now I'll have to remember the codes for all the combinations.

I'll check footysquads, I tended to used wiki and copy into XL then into notepad.

Im really getting into this PM lark, Big thanks to Rovers_Andy for the home tuition. What im currently on is the code replacements, I have squad names set up etc and use them but really need to now get the other stuff done, ie, \t\ etc. Graham is your XL sheet of replacements for sharing?? lol.

In rugby League when teams get new player or youth player stepping up, They will wear any number yet to be issued until they have played 5 games which they then must be allocated squad number, My team this year has had 4 No33s. The other battle I have is I know 90% of players in top RL but wouldnt have a clue what number Swintons Gavin Dodd wears, In my case i will type in \slgd\ (Swinton Lions Gavin Dodd)

now thats a good idea!!

I hadnt thought of doing a second one without the club prefix, i am forever having to delete the club name when captioning multiple players from the same team in 1 image!! :clap:

Precisely why I did it mate! Also, I wholeheartedly recommend footballsquads.co.uk as being a very good source of info...

Agree thats a great idea, all the best ones are so simple you say why didn't I think of that!
footballsquads (y)
Seperate teams and another folder with generic words / and other useful stuff like International managers with funny spellings etc that visit grounds we attend ;)

Do you guys have problem with funny characters ie, ó ú é etc not working from a txt file?

Agree thats a great idea, all the best ones are so simple you say why didn't I think of that!
footballsquads (y)
Seperate teams and another folder with generic words / and other useful stuff like International managers with funny spellings etc that visit grounds we attend ;)

Don't forget referees! I learned that lesson after seeing one being knocked out by a pound coin.

Do you guys have problem with funny characters ie, ó ú é etc not working from a txt file?

Yeah, it's a bit annoying...I have to remove all those characters and replace with "romanised" ones...the desk never minds anyway

Don't forget referees! I learned that lesson after seeing one being knocked out by a pound coin.

Yeah, premier refs but lower league and fa cup matches I tend to add them to the home side info with an \r\

Yeah, it's a bit annoying...I have to remove all those characters and replace with "romanised" ones...the desk never minds anyway

I wondered why it didn't work the other night, so I had to go and remove all the letters aswell, still at least I know now.

Going to have a session updating my files this evening with the tackles etc as thats certainly a cracking idea.

for managers I use /arman/ for Arsene Wenger etc

Whilst I use code replacement for player names within Lightroom (Phrase Express) which works very well, as a fast typer I often find it quicker to just type in some of the fill blurb e.g. tackled by, celebrates with etc. I have Lightroom preset metadata for the common info for date, match location etc.

footballsquads.co.uk - superb! Thanks for that. I was using the player lists on the club sites.

Back