Photo Mounting

Name
Anand
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello folks,

I have tried looking this up, but couldn't find anything relevant on this forum. Google out there was too confusing.

Basically, I am going to have a go at mounting photos on a board (paper board) which have ordered from paper spectrum.

Being a total newbie in this area, I am not sure how to go about sticking the photo for a nice finish. Have read about dry mounting, adhesive mounting etc etc . But not sure what may be the best and most cost effective option. Do intend on selling some of it at work as some colleagues have approached. So it would need to be reliable.

Any suggestions/advice or signposting to a link would be greatly appreciated :).

How about using photo corners, cheap enough and the print is undamaged.

Might look better to display them individually in mounts, could use what you ordered as backing board

Do a search for "easy photo matting using the hinge method"

Last edited:
Most photographers that I know that sell their work hang the print from the top edge between the mat and the back board. Either by hinging it or taping across the top of the print. I leave a 17 mm border around my print on all sides and tape across the top. My mat overlaps the printed area by 3mm and the extra border helps keep the print flat between the mat and the backboard.

Several ways of achieving the same result but you will want to use archival tape etc to avoid any long term issues for sales.

Out of curiosity, where's the best place to purchase acid free / archival tape from?

Have framed some cheap prints with masking tape not really caring about long term as I can print again cheaply if need be.

Would like to make sure of longevity for future, larger prints though.

Thank you all. I'll have a look at the spray and tape. Might give it a go with both and see which works better.

Never thought of the corners though? Will have look at this as well.

Just to clarify the terminologies though -
Board - I suppose this is the back supporting board?
Mat - Is this the window cutout we are talking about?

Thank you :)

Thank you all. I'll have a look at the spray and tape. Might give it a go with both and see which works better.

Never thought of the corners though? Will have look at this as well.

Just to clarify the terminologies though -
Board - I suppose this is the back supporting board?
Mat - Is this the window cutout we are talking about?

Thank you :)

Yes board is back, mat is front with aperture for print. I find taping is easier and quicker

Out of curiosity, where's the best place to purchase acid free / archival tape from?

Have framed some cheap prints with masking tape not really caring about long term as I can print again cheaply if need be.

Would like to make sure of longevity for future, larger prints though.
I think I've seen then Paper Spectrum website. Sure there were some on Amazon as well.

Yes board is back, mat is front with aperture for print. I find taping is easier and quicker
Just wondering, do people ever just stick it to the board direct without worrying about placing a mat over for presentation? I suppose this wouldn't be essential, would it? And would just tape work in that situation then?

Just wondering, do people ever just stick it to the board direct without worrying about placing a mat over for presentation? I suppose this wouldn't be essential, would it? And would just tape work in that situation then?

Yes. This is what I use the spray mount for. I used to do this for camera club competition stuff. If you're looking to sell stuff, convention is to window mount it i.e. Using a mat with an aperture cut into it as described above.

If you just want to display them to take orders sticking on without a mat should be fine using one of the methods above.

Think you should look into a proper mount for the sold print (factor it in the price) easy enough to purchase a mount with pre cut aperture if you don't fancy doing it yourself.

I go a step further for myself and buy frames in charity shops for my mounted photos, some nice frames can be had for a small sum, usually a shame though about the artwork.

Good luck with whatever you decide on, good choice of board supplier, their service is good and board comes well packed

If you just want to display them to take orders sticking on without a mat should be fine using one of the methods above.

Think you should look into a proper mount for the sold print (factor it in the price) easy enough to purchase a mount with pre cut aperture if you don't fancy doing it yourself.

I go a step further for myself and buy frames in charity shops for my mounted photos, some nice frames can be had for a small sum, usually a shame though about the artwork.

Good luck with whatever you decide on, good choice of board supplier, their service is good and board comes well packed
Thank you for taking time to reply.

Following on from what Rich said - I wrote a (quite old now) tutorial on how to cut mounts to fit any frame size to do exactly this. It's not strictly answering your OP, but might be helpful.
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...fit-into-any-frame-mounting-for-beginners.88/
Thanks Ian. Of course it would be helpful. Could definitely do with a beginners advice.

On a different note though, is there a rule with regard to border vs borderless photos when you mat and mount photos? Or is this more personal choice?

Was it meant to stop at "One Bowed Rectangle"?
Heh - no. There used to be a rule about 6 images per post, so I had to split it into multiple posts. If you click on the "Discussion" tab at the top, it'll take you to the rest of it.

is there a rule with regard to border vs borderless photos when you mat and mount photos? Or is this more personal choice?
I'd say it was all about personal choice. Robert Rodriguez sells a lot of Fine Art prints, and has done quite a few videos on the topic.The tl;dr version though seems to be "keep it simple" : https://www.youtube.com/user/rrjr24

I cut my own so I can print any size prints I require . I have tried surface mounting but prefer to mat mount I think they look better and it gives some protection to the print

Back