Beginner Photo of my son

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
This weekend we went to eureka (https://www.eureka.org.uk/) and took this photo, and finally taken the plunge to get some feedback from people who don't know me and thus will ensure it is honest!

Shot with a 70D 40mm STM, in Av mode @ 2.8, auto everything else (1/60 & 2500 ISO) in a darkish room with no flash, the photo is a jpeg direct from the camera.

Composition wise it would be nice to not have his harness strap in the photo, but a 18 month year old running loose would be interesting! I really like how the light from the exhibit is shining into his face, but unsure what, if anything, I could do in post to improve it

I don`t usually comment on shots like this Jon, i`m more of a wildlife sort of git.

These are my honest thoughts, yes the harness is there, so what,anybody who has children can understand that. It also has faults with background clutter and high ISO.

But I honestly think that those faults pale into insignificance by the way the shot captures the amazement in the young chaps face, it almost feels like that he has just realised that he wants to understand things and how they work.

I`m not good at pp, but don`t kill a very natural image by overdoing it Jon. I think it is something you will look back on in years to come and it will make you smile. It made me smile, no mean feat......:D

Last edited:
Can only echo @fracster and maybe add that its a little shame you chopped his fingers but it is a smile at shot.

BTW neither of my children have had harnesses youngest one is 16 months... though they are girls (so may be less mad), but completely understand that it is needed sometimes :D though running loose is probably more fun ;)

You can digitally remove the strap , but you cant digitally create that expression, well captured.

All the best

Thanks for the feedback, totally get the comments about ISO, along with the background and chopping off his fingers, but I don't think he would have waited for me to compose the shot!

I only took the camera to try to get a few nice family shots in the grounds outside, but that never happened!
@Tintin124, where is was for that photo is near to some steps, it was busy and he now finds it funny to make a break for freedom once in a while so harness it was!

hi Jon
as a true child shot this is a winner...it has happiness written all over that little bright face
crop everything out and its retains its magic

image22 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

cheers
geof

Last edited:
Thanks Geof, I didn't even think of cropping it, its certainly made the difference :)

Back