Beginner Photo Session Agreement

Edit My Images
No
Hi there,

My friend ask me if I want to take some photos of food in his restaurant. What contract should I prepare?

Regards,
Sylwia

Hi there,

My friend ask me if I want to take some photos of food in his restaurant. What contract should I prepare?

Regards,
Sylwia

If its your friend, for free, just fire him a quick email saying what he can use them for.

ETA Without meaning to sound in anyway discouraging, and seeing as you're in talk beginners your friend should be aware food is hard to photograph well. Often photos advertising food will use a food stylist and what you're photographing won't be edible

Last edited:
Thank you :)
But what if I would like to add this photos to my portfolio ?

Just add that to your email ;) no fancy forms or anything needed. You don't really need to do the email but it just avoids possible misunderstandings later

Write down:
  • What you want
  • What they want
Both of you sign if you agree.

Hi there,

Regards,
Sylwia

Welcome to TP :)

Under UK law you, as the photographer, automatically hold copyright of all images. The only notable exception to that is if the commissioner, ie restaurant owner, is your permanent employer - in which case they may hold copyright (you'd need to check).

As copyright holder, you can do pretty much what you like with them, so adding them to your portfolio would not be a problem. Only an agreement, signed by you, can transfer rights to someone else.

A contract is in part also educational -> in the sense that it informs people (that might not normally know about these things) what they can and can't do with your images, and what you can do with images taken of their content / persons. If they are a friend then this is possibly something you don't need to worry about, but if there is any possibility of awkward misunderstandings then it may be better to clarify expectations / usage with them.

Back