photo theft and what to do

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
last year i saw a online post by one of my long time friends oliver wright ,who is a successful wildlife photographer ,saying he had signed up to a new photo theft payment company who would act on our behalf ,the company name " PIXYS.com "

i duly signed up and went through lots of e/mails etc explain what needed to be done ,a bit of a kerfuffle to sort it all out as they can only action photo theft ( call it that because thats what it is) when someone uses your pics without asking .so now about 9 months down the line ,i have had another flurry of e/mails stating someone has actually paid up .

and tonight i have received cleared payment of 234.00 euros for my first photo .all doubts alleviated i have to admit i had some .but yep to anyone that posts photos online its well worth signing up .i used to think who would want to steal my photos but yes someone would and has and the amount is totally unreal .

don't think about do it .

I think Jeff did a typo as a Googling revealed this site https://pixsy.com/

Does look interesting................but other than Jeff's great success story (the amount I can only surmise is minus the fee that Pixsy earned?) I wonder if any others hereabouts at TP have used them already???

PS a speed read through their FAQs and 'how they do things' suggests it should be a no brainer for all photographers.............but the nagging doubt question hangs as in "what's in it for them..." afterall there is no such thing as free lunch ~ is there???

PPS Jeff, did they provide any sort of report as to which images they found were infringed and how the "recovered" fees were broken down?

Last edited:
I don't really care how they do it ,or how much they make out of it .i have got a payment for theft of my image/s something I don't have the skill of resources to chase up as a individual

So no nagging doubts on my part .what though did make me sit up and take notice is how far and wide my photos have been downloaded and stolen .

It's entirely up to you whether or not you sign up to them .all I am pleased about is that I now have faith that as a amateur I have someone that will face up to the wholesale theft of my/our work , it also seems that some of these thieves are in turn selling on our photos for there profit ,the whole pixsy experience has been a eye opener as I used to have the attitude of who would want to steal my photos ,it seems there's people out there that will and they can also make a living out of it .

It's a free world all my post does is tell other amateurs that this is a genuine company that have fulfilled there promises

Of course they get a share of any payouts. And why not?

Being able to register your entire Flickr stream is great. The other option is doing it yourself, using tineye or similar, which would take a huge amount of time as you can only search one image at a time. Plus, Pixsy have success where as an individual you probably won't. I have succeeded with several take-down demands, but have never had any compensation as an individual. Using Pixsy means all your images are constantly monitored for unlicensed usage. Most photographers would never know an image of theirs was being used illegally.

What is their percentage? Plus do you have to pay any additional costs when it goes legal?
No idea ,no other fees involved they deduct there cut before paying out ,I have quite a few more going through the system ,if they all pay out along the lines of this first one I will be one happy bunny

Back