PhotoCD quality ??

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
My parents have just given me a PhotoCD with their holiday photos on to process & send to Photobox etc. They look noisy as **** , the actual prints from Boots look perfect

Full shot :-

full.jpg

100% crop :-

close.JPG

Is this typical PhotoCD quality or have Boots ****** up

:help:

Looks about right. The boots photo CD's are really for emailing to friends etc. etc. more than getting reprints from them.

i found when i got photo cd's done from my underwater camera that they were ' not as expected '

then i found that there are large file versions on the disc, you have to manually select them from the contents of the cd ,

well, thats what i found on ones done from Jessops.......

hope it helps

MyPix

They're normally only big enough to re-print 6x4's and use for email and webby stuff. If that's shot on film then it's grain you are looking at, and yes, it tends to look like bad noise, worse than many digital compacts, especially if you use cheap film!

Thats a shot from the "hi-res" folder , the actual prints don't show anywhere that level of noise :shake: . I think I'll get better results scanning in the 6x4 prints & re-sizing them in PS :bang:

Try it if you can, but as Gandhi says there is often a lot more grain to even slow films than people realise - although how much of this here is down to the scanner and how much is down to the film I couldn't say.

Gandhi said:
worse than many digital compacts, especially if you use cheap film!

agreed, my gran has a tendancy to use the cheap film that she gets from her local developers, and then when the pics come back with horendous noise shes a bit miffed, this was part of my reasoning for buying her a digital compact, atleast then i can keep tabss on the 'film' shes using!

never got round to it, shes now on orders to not use any film that doesnt have kodak or fuji written on it! (available practically everywhere!)

Back