Photoflo - Is it really that important?

Edit My Images
Yes
Just started out developing black and white got all the equipments and chems.

Last edited:
Depends on how "hard" the water in your area is, really. My London water is so "hard" that scums forms on everything, and the drying marks can be like someone threw my film at a tub full of minerals. Even with a wetting agent, there can still be marks. :bang:

I'd definitely recommend NOT using washing up liquid.

I did. Once. About a year ago. A single drop. That tank still froths up everytime I use it!

Additionally, wetting agent is inexpensive anyway. What's the point in an expensive camera, expensive lens, costly quality film only for your last water rinse to be done on the cheap with Fairy liquid?

I don't use anything!....simply run the film between my wet index and middle finger to remove excess water after rinsing and hang to dry ...rarely a problem .....as FC2 says, your local water quality may prove to be a deciding factor.

I dont use anything either, but then again the water up here is pretty soft, unlike us Northerners ;) I have a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol and a microfibre cloth i use to get rid of any marks should they form :)

You can also get similar products from Tetanal and Fotospeed which are a bit cheaper, you have to dillute them 1:200 or 1:400 so a bottle of it will last for quite a while. I've got some Fotospeed stuff but not yet used it as I didn't have a measuring cylinder small enough to measure out such small quantities (about 2 or 3ml) although I have now and am going to use it next time.

I use the cabinet rinse aid that goes through the dishwashers in work. Only one drop per 300ml. agitate gently by lifting the spindle up and down a couple of times then let it sit for a minute before carefully pouring out avoiding any sloshing. The water just sheets off when the neg is hung and so far so good, no adverse side effects

I don't use it, just a drop of washing up liquid in a litre of tap water then a good rinse under the tap. Any drying marks you can just gently rub off with a microfiber cloth (of which i have dozens due to the whole family having terrible eyesight ;)).

I used to use dishwasher rinse aid, but ordered some Tetenal Mirasol in my last order to ag-photographic. I haven't noticed a huge difference, and my negatives have been gradually been turning out cleaner and cleaner more through practice anyway. The bottle will last for years, and being in a bottle of photo-chemical stuff it's unlikely to get mixed up with house cleaning stuff.

The other factor to consider with the various wetting agents is that they are (I believe) tested for archival purposes (or possibly even developed with longevity of the film in mind).

Ah I see! Thanks for all the advice!
Well I live in Glasgow Scotland so am hoping it'll be soft? I mean its not really the price if I can get it in shop but I have to order online and wait =="
I'll try a roll with no photoflo and see! :D

Very soft water in Glasgow, according to Google. Try it without and see - you'll probably be fine, most of the UK based people who post about drying marks tend to not have problems.

Back