photographer hurt at Knockhill today?

Luckily I moved from the spot where the Lambo hit earlier on! As you can see the Tog was a very lucky guy! Early reports thought his leg was broken but I later heard he was fine, he was more concerned about his camera!
COL_3969copy-1.jpg

Only saying this because it seems that the guy wasnt hurt. You need to contact a national newspaper (Mirror is your best bet) and sell those photos for a top price.. They love those kinda shots and will pay top $

Only saying this because it seems that the guy wasnt hurt. You need to contact a national newspaper (Mirror is your best bet) and sell those photos for a top price.. They love those kinda shots and will pay top $

I'd say that ID knew the guy was okay, judging by this shot of Colin's

COL_3978copy.jpg

One thing I'll say about him, he never fails to provide entertainment whenever he ventures out on the track at Knockhill :LOL:

Just a thought.......I wonder if he'll get a courtesy car from his insurance company :naughty:

watching that video again, it looks like he never slowed.. was it raining? or did he keep his foot planted? I've seen faster cars spin there like that and they dont end up flying into the wall at that speed

Crikey ... Ian D never fails to fail, does he? I think he's gonna need to buy another roll of gaffer tape ...

I wasn't there today, just heard about this. Glad everyone's ok.

I do hope the togger is alright, as for the driving I think its harsh to criticise without knowing the full details....what about oil on the track? Failed steering? Failed brakes?

Its all to easy to assume the role of crash investigators on a public forum.

I wonder what the guys at Knockhill think when he rolls up?
Surely most people that crash that much would be banned, they must know his reputation.
I know what I'm doing if I ever see him on the track. Stand as far away as possible, then take a step back!

I'm suprised this incident has not yet popped up on the 10 tenths forum, I'm sure its going to spark a lot of debate!

For those togs that know Knockhill, is this an area when you would normally be taking photo's? It does not look a very safe place to be, and I would have second thoughts about this position!

Kelv

I think any motorsport tog that stands on the outside of any corner is taking a risk. There is always a chance of going off at that corner and they are at speed but that's why there are tyres there.

You do get a good pic from that spot though!

i would say its pretty safe.. I wouldnt expect a car to go off their and hit that hard.

the things is, its the safest places that are often the most dangerous.. sounds weird i know, but the really massive freaky crashes happen in the places you dont expect.
The places that have the frequent shunts normally have big catch fences and sand traps, but the places you wouldnt expect a crash dont (which is why their wasnt any fence there)

i would stand there as its not really on the outside (from the video)

equally there is a turn like this at brands where cars can over steer off and get fired to the inside of the corner (the chicane just before clearways) ive been caught off guard in very similar incidents two times there.

There's no need for a fence there as it leads onto waste ground.

ABINGDON MOTORSPORT CAR-NIVAL – ORGANISERS STATEMENT - 8pm Monday 15th June 2009
The Organisers of the Abingdon Motorsport CAR-nival Stages would like to pay tribute to the expertise of the Rally Emergency Service Teams who attended yesterdays unfortunate accident at Abingdon Airfield in which 2 Marshals and a member of the media were injured.

The accident occurred when a competitor lost control in the Flying Finish Area at the end of Stage 1, sliding onto the grass before colliding with the Time Control Officials and a camera man. The Major Incident Plan was put into immediate effect with Air Ambulances from Oxfordshire and Hampshire attending the scene along with support from Oxfordshire Ambulance Service.

After initial treatment 2 of the casualties were air lifted to the JR2 and Swindon Hospitals where they received immediate attention. The camera man was transported by County Ambulance to JR2 and was released later that day, attending the Awards Ceremony in order to add his thanks to everyone involved.

Oxfordshire Police Officers attended and their investigations have concluded that it was a simple accident. Following an interview at the Police Headquarters the driver was released without charge.

The Marshals were a 60 year old man from Yateley who suffered a number of limb injuries and an 18 year old Youth from Camberley who suffered more complex injuries. Whilst initially thought to be critical their injuries are no longer life-threatening.

In fact, the older marshal received visitors today and is said to be in good spirits.

The Organisers, Competitors and fellow Marshals would like to extend their best wishes for a speedy recovery.

ENDS

Tahen directly off the British Rally Forum

Dave

interesting that they should get the police involved with the driver.

I wonder if there is more to it that meets the eye, particularly in reference to the link which was posted.

It sounds like the police treated this as they would any serious "workplace / event" accident where there had been serious injuries sustained by one or more people. That is they will treat it as a crime scene until investigations have been completed by them and / or the Health and Safety Executive. It is pretty standard procedure in such circumstances.

At the end of this video ( a bit closer than the previous - still not graphic though so don't worry!) the tog can be seen being stretchered off by the medical crew so again lets hope the above reports of him being alright are true.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DL8ETq1FUlw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DL8ETq1FUlw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Its amazing what adrenalin can do, watching that vid he moved over rough ground quite quick with a broken leg, glad he is not to bad considering how close a scrap that was, hope he recovers quick!

Back