Photographer wannabes

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Right here goes the rant!!!!!!:dummy:

Don't you just hate it when you fight to get a job, turn up with all your experience, expensive equipment and assistant then you see the wannabe photographer ,stands behind you and takes images that you have set up......don't get me wrong, I am all for people who want to be photographers to join in the fun and gain experience( I am still gaining experience all the time) but then to hear them offer their photographs to the client for free...

****ers!!!!:bang::bang::bang:

Rant over

I always encourage peeps and never ignore (that what happened me when starting out) I even introduced myself and let him play with the equipment and asked him to email me his details and I would help him were possible. I didn't even mind him shooting over my shoulder but KNIFE IN BACK COME TO MIND!!!!!

stand there with a big umbrella (one of those golfing umbrellas). that would stop them standing behind you lol

Have 'Remember, this is my living' printed / embroidered on your coat / shirt back!

Rant away... the only time I didn't suffer from it was when flying 60 feet up over the Mekong Delta in 1968... not too many wannabes in 'nam!!! (or Bosnia, Iraq, Afganistan etc..........).

I'm a member of a great facebook group called " you're not a photographer, you own a digital camera" it has great daily posts like, "but it has 14mp of course I'm pro" or "I took a photo of a chairs shadow, it has so much meaning" love it!

I'm a member of a great facebook group called " you're not a photographer, you own a digital camera" it has great daily posts like, "but it has 14mp of course I'm pro" or "I took a photo of a chairs shadow, it has so much meaning" love it!

Link?

But what makes you think the client would want the photos for free over and above what you produce? You are the one who knows the settings, what you want to achieve and how to PP (I assume) so don't feel threatened, feel really complimented that some other wants to replicate your image, then turn round and tell him to move away while you do your JOB!!! :) Unless, of course, you suspect he is a better tog or his photos look better on auto than yours do after all the work, in which case you should probably worry a little!

I wouldn't care if someone shot over my shoulder for 2 reasons. (although I would wonder how they got into my studio ;))

1. I've got the flash triggers :D
2. My clients love my PP and presentation, something that a shoulder shooter cannot do

I know the client wont take the freebies, and my pp always does what the client wants and i don't feel threatened but I do feel ****ed off at the idea that someone feels that they can offer the same service as me but by piggy backing my visions and thoughts and then under cut me with FREE!!!

I've been that guy, standing behind, gabbing the staged shot, indoors in challenging light. I caught a set of blurred images.

The point is, just because he stands on your axis does not mean he knows how to make a correct exposue.

I would not sweat it mate.

Sorry if I came across as trying to bait you but I wasn't. It's just that in this day and age with the digital revolution every man Jack and his wife has a camera with which he can take as many images as he wants until his battery runs out and if he gets a printable image or not, it hasn't cost him a penny. So why shouldn't he try his luck? Frustrating? Yes, Wrong, Morally? Yes, Legally? No. So you really have to get over it , or put it in as a proviso on your next wedding shoot before you take the job on.

I know the client wont take the freebies, and my pp always does what the client wants and i don't feel threatened but I do feel ****ed off at the idea that someone feels that they can offer the same service as me but by piggy backing my visions and thoughts and then under cut me with FREE!!!

Hmmm, well they haven't seen YOUR photos yet!!!... I would rather hope that seeing your photos, then seeing the wannabees would sway your clients in the right direction unless he's not as wannabee as you think.

** chip beat me ** Point is if your doing it properly you should have a signed contract with your client(s) so who cares :shrug:

Wannabee, you click away. You'll still get the cash at the end of the day. (y)

Last edited:
I think the OP is getting a hard time from some of you guys. :eek:
It is not about insecurity or anything, it's about someone trying to screw you which would be a peed off offence even if you know that they are unable to succeed.

TBF they are entitled to offer their pictures if they want and so long as they don't interfer with your work then I don't think its a problem.

Don't you just hate it when you fight to get a job, turn up with all your experience, expensive equipment and assistant then you see the wannabe photographer ,stands behind you and takes images that you have set up......don't get me wrong, I am all for people who want to be photographers to join in the fun and gain experience( I am still gaining experience all the time) but then to hear them offer their photographs to the client for free...

Rant over

I've been that guy, standing behind, gabbing the staged shot, indoors in challenging light. I caught a set of blurred images.

The point is, just because he stands on your axis does not mean he knows how to make a correct exposue.

I would not sweat it mate.

What he said.

Rant over

If I was to do that, I would punch myself in the face for you.

If I am ever taking pics I want to compose my own shots. Find angle's and light that come out of no where.

Obviously we don't know the full circumstances here.

But, I did two jobs last week where there were several photographers working for the same client as me, but for free. I did all the set-ups because they wouldn't know how to, I happily let them shoot them though, usually stood aside to let them shoot first as well.

Doesn't bother me, I know I'm still going to get paid and I'm good enough that I'll be the one the client books and pays in future as well.

I may have some tricks for you here, given to me by one of the ex-professionals at my camera club.

1) Have your assistant stand in the middle of the shot until your ready to take it, she can then move in and out of the shot as and when your ready to take shoot.

2) Setup a flash unit to trigger as a slave. Again get your assistant to stand in shot with the flash unit and if anyone takes a picture with flash it will trigger your flash unit and stop them getting anything other that bright white shots ;)

I know i will get paid but its the principle. I have never ever even when I was starting out try to screw the Pro Tog...... I still rely on some of them for advice now and again.

Love Gingerweasels Tricks though!!! LOL

Nothing better than a good rant at the morning :)

My opinion is...

There are days when I am shooting someone / something with my colleagues, standing next to each other. You would think that we will get the same photos.

We are NOT. And plenty of times I am hearing: How it's possible that your shot is looking like this or that?

Different framing, post processing... it all creates the effect than cannot be replicated even if someone stands next or behind you.

Don't worry and do the job you love.
It's better to concentrate on your own photography than on some cheeky wannabies.

Luger...

I'm saying nothing more on the subject...

Rather than wait until you're home and then rant about it online, why not say something at the time? If it's a paid shoot you're well within your rights to ask him to pack it in (politely of course), just say you can't focus on the job in hand and would he mind not shadowing you while you're working.

Nothing better than a good rant at the morning :)

My opinion is...

There are days when I am shooting someone / something with my colleagues, standing next to each other. You would think that we will get the same photos.

We are NOT. And plenty of times I am hearing: How it's possible that your shot is looking like this or that?

Different framing, post processing... it all creates the effect than cannot be replicated even if someone stands next or behind you.

Don't worry and do the job you love.
It's better to concentrate on your own photography than on some cheeky wannabies.

This is pretty good advice.

That and I know when I am ****ed off with someone to the extent that the OP sounded, my demeanour towards everyone changes, not just the person responsible. I'm pretty sure you wouldnt want to be presenting as a crabby ****er at a wedding because of someone who thinks they can do what you do. Just do your stuff and enjoy.

i could rant at the time but I am to professional for that. Also I only overheard him offer the free shots as I was packing up and as i stated earlier ,I no have problems with wannabes shooting for experience ( I was a wannabe once, but I never screwed the pro tog)

This is not so much about someone shooting over the shoulder - annoying as that it - it's about the much much wider problem - getting worse all the time - of hobbyists - giving their work away for free - some of it quite good too. In some situations it is very difficult to compete against free. The irony is of course, that many of them want to become pros - but they won't survive on free - and in the meantime they are making life more difficult for every working pro.

Last edited:
I always encourage peeps and never ignore (that what happened me when starting out) I even introduced myself and let him play with the equipment and asked him to email me his details and I would help him were possible. I didn't even mind him shooting over my shoulder but KNIFE IN BACK COME TO MIND!!!!!

you sound like a swell chap, but sounds like slightly mixed messages. on the one hand you are saying you'll help him and on the other he's not allowed to take the same shot as you - he won't know why though - not only does he not know what a photographer does, he doesn't know what a photographer doesn't do (err, that make sense?!).

I didn't say I didn't want him to take the same shots as me. I just don't want him taking the same shots as me and offering them to my client for FREE!!!

Up to the point where he offered them his pics for free it would have been an annoyance. A big annoyance.
After the 'offer', I would have royally told him to **** right off.

Last edited:
TBF they are entitled to offer their pictures if they want and so long as they don't interfer with your work then I don't think its a problem.

I would think think it could well be a problem in a lot of commercial shoot situations especially depending on who was paying for and taken the time to arrange the set up /models /props etc. If the original photographer is arranging/paying for all this intending to recoop it when they put in their account then someone offering the client pictures for free could cause a lot of problems.

The OP does not say that this is the case but it can be in a lot of instances.

Back