Photographers first aid kit

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently needed to find a replacement for lost tripod allen keys. My search led me to this multi tool from Smallrig.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/small...XRNvcm5haeupXqMN8wGVkSjysVR4Ap3MaApDzEALw_wcB

Not sure how good it is, but it certainly looks compact.

Which in turn prompted me to search for alternatives and I found this article on an everyday carry kit

https://digital-photography-school.com/everyday-carry-must-have-tools-for-photographers/

Something that I'd not really thought about in such an organised way. Yes, there are items that I always try to make sure that I have with me, but nothing quite so thought out. So I thought I'd ask for thoughts on this subject......

Do you have a photography "first aid kit"?

If you do, what's in it?

If not, what do you think should be included?

The tool is reminiscent of the compact cycling tools.

If going away from civilisation on a day out then I carry a small powerbank as a backup to my phone. Tick removal tool. Folding bush hat + face net. Paracetamol and antihistamine. Antibacterial handwash and sticking plasters, basic swiss army knife, small cloth and/or small packet of wipes.

Eclipse optical fluid, a couple of sensor swabs, an allen key that fits my tripod and some electrical tape.

As for proper first aid kit...full trauma kit including an israeli pressure dressing, tourniquet, CPR kit, emergency blanket, various wound dressings and bandages, saline, splint, asprin, pen and atmist card. Oh, and a Garmin inReach Mini.

Last edited:
I usually (I need to remember which bag they're in) carry the three legged thing multi tool for removing tripod plates if I have to and a set of engineers screw drivers as my cameras and lenses are forever coming loose etc.

My surf photography kit however is more akin to a full service workshop haha but that's a whole other story

As for proper first aid kit...full trauma kit including an israeli pressure dressing, tourniquet, CPR kit, emergency blanket, various wound dressings and bandages, saline, splint, asprin, pen and atmist card. Oh, and a Garmin inReach Mini.

When I was younger I used to not think too much about what might be needed. Then a few years ago I found myself down a gully in rocks stretching to get a shot of a steam train in the middle of nowhere - thinking I should buy a rope for next time. At about that point reality sank in about going alone off the beaten track.

Your list is poignant.

When I was younger I used to not think too much about what might be needed. Then a few years ago I found myself down a gully in rocks stretching to get a shot of a steam train in the middle of nowhere - thinking I should buy a rope for next time. At about that point reality sank in about going alone off the beaten track.

Your list is poignant.

I speak from bitter experience that all of those items are essential for me to feel 'safe' in relative terms when out and about. The Garmin, in particular, I'm religious about carrying.

When I bought an L bracket from Three Legged Thing, it came with one of their 'Toolz'.

Fits the allen bolts in my Vanguard Tripod too.

£6.99 from here.

toolz.jpg

I keep my photography first aid kit in the boot of my car :oops: :$

Whenever I have a mishap with my camera, I always end up worse and the camera unscathed.

First things I do, is check my camera even though I will have bust my patella or bones in my hand, and then carry on with my photography in spite of the pain..

5p coin for tripod plates, Pyrethrum spray for insect bites and most importantly Imigran for Cluster Headache relief.
Few plasters, hand gel, spare tenner, lens pen/wipes/cloth and packaway microfibre towel.

A roll of gaffer tape.

Loose in my camera bag:
  • Hex key for tripod
  • Lenspen
  • Lens cloth (18% grey)
  • Zip ties
  • Headtorch
  • Wooden knife(?)
  • Power bank with leads for camera/phone

Back