Photographers websites

Name
Katherine Louise
Edit My Images
No
Hi. I am a final year photography student and am looking to set up my own professional website before graduating.
I was wondering if any of you could recommend any programmes that will aid its creation?
Also... Where is best to go get it online?

Thanks
Katie

Are you after software that will create a www site for you Katie, or a ready made gallery provider?

Try Dreamweaver for writing the code, and perhaps look into a ready-made gallery application such as Gallery or Coppermine; alternatively you can go with a provider such as Zenfolio (my gallery in sig), or Photium; or thirdly you could write your own!

Take a look at some of the www sites of members on here to give you an idea of what can be done.

Good luck.

Dreamweaver is expensive, although i might be a bit cheaper if you're a student. To get the best out of it you really need to know a bit about web design/coding.

Another option is www.clickpic.com, my Dad uses them and found it very easy to set up.

If you are hosting your own site I've been with www.dataflame.co.uk for years now and the service has always been good, I also use them to register domain names.

I use Clikpic and am pretty pleased with them, options/customisation are a little limited but the site is very easily maintained, reasonably priced and doesn't take up too much time which could otherwise be spent taking photographs !!

I bought my domain name from 123reg, again recommend them too

simon

Thank you for your advice. I am looking to create something entirely original really rather than a ready made gallery provider.
I have some knowledge of coding, but time is more of a problem... I am looking for some kind of software that allows complete control over editing (I kind of have it all planned out in my mind already)
As for buying a domain name... still a little clueless... I really am just looking for something affordable that can last me for some time.

I think I should invest in a dummies guide to website creation really...

My main portfolio site was designed by myself in photoshop and then I had a friend build it in flash for me. It took a while to get sorted but like you I wanted something different and not built from the usual templates. If you have a fair idea of what your doing then building yourself is far more rewarding IMO. If not there are a few good templates out there, you may just have to sacrifice certain things you want to do.

If you want complete control notepad (or something like notepad++ with code highlighting) is your best bet. Anything like Dreamweaver will implement the code in its own style.

It is also hard to get a site looking the same in different browsers...

I prototype my websites in Fireworks, export the code into Dreamweaver for textual content and back into TextEdit for cleaning of the code.

If it's your first website ever - don't bother. Ask someone (student, friend) who would be delighted to make you a website for a couple of pints.

anyone remember the thread that was started with a great long list of users sites?

Michael

Back