Photographing art

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I've been asked to shoot some paintings through glass. I've never shot art like this before so wondered if anyone had any pointers.

I haven't seen the space I'm shooting in yet, so not sure what the light/space will be yet, but my biggest concern is avoiding reflections. I was thinking along the following lines:

50mm prime
Low ISO
longish exposure (tripod)
Polarising filter
Small aperture

Does anyone have any experience of this kind of work?

Hi,

I've been asked to shoot some paintings through glass. I've never shot art like this before so wondered if anyone had any pointers.

I haven't seen the space I'm shooting in yet, so not sure what the light/space will be yet, but my biggest concern is avoiding reflections. I was thinking along the following lines:

50mm prime
Low ISO
longish exposure (tripod)
Polarising filter
Small aperture

Does anyone have any experience of this kind of work?

Hi, This is something I do quite a bit of in the studio so I can probably help you.

It's going to be difficult to get rid of reflections if you intend shooting the art square on, as a Polarising filter will have no effect at that shooting angle other than cutting the light down.

You really need to shoot them using a PC lens where you can set up square on but to one side of the art and thus avoid reflections. Or use a technical camera.

If this is not possible then to avoid most reflections errect a matt black screen of some sort opposite the subject and shoot through a hole in the screen the size of your lens.

Light the art using two diffused lights of the same power, one at each side of the art at about 45 degrees. Keep any ambient or stray light from falling on your lens or screen and this should help you to avoid most reflections. You will not need to use a Polarising filter. A longer lens would be more suitable as you would then be able to get further away from the art and make it easier to keep light from falling on the camera lens or screen.

Hope this helps.

Two lights at 30-45º with polarising film on them, plus a polariser on your lens, job done. Decent polarising film might be a bit of a stretch if they want it done on the cheap though.

You have reflections in the glass to worry about of course, but also in the art itself, if it's painted with thick textured strokes, then you will get reflections off all of the bumps and ridges at every angle imaginable which will hid the colour of the art.

Back