Photographing Birmingham Spaghetti Junction?

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
I live quite close to this, and was just wondering if anyone has taken a long exposure shot @ night or know a good spot to do it?

Looks ideal but can't see anywhere on google maps which has a good view/height of the whole view.

Heres some pics taken in the day which I found online for anyone interested:

spaghetti4.jpg

SpaghettiJunctionGA.jpg

Thanks

I have thought about this every time that I head into this part of brum, there is a cloths shop that I go to in Erdington on a regular basis and always think I would love to do it, but I really don't think that there is anywhere to get a decent view. I think the only way to do it would be to hire one of the really big cherry pickers that nationwide offers for an hour and park up near it and do it, It may be a good think that I no longer have access to a corporate account with them as would not like to have to explain that expense with my manager ;P

This would do the trick lol http://www.nationwideplatforms.co.uk/pdfs/t72b.pdf

Matt
MWHCVT

haha that looks like a good way to get the height although I'm expecting the costs to hire something like that to be quite expensive.. :D

Not sure about the height but i've often looked at going up via the roundabout, nearest slade road end.. walking up there at the crack of dawn when the light is great. I have issues with the crack of dawn though. Otherwise i'd be with you. As I live really close.

A cherry picker on a long exposure might cause some movement problems, if you are after some fantastic light trails. It would be a risk to walk uphill to some of the bends, i'm not sure if the police can nick you for jay walking or not.
Do cherry pickers sway even when they're settled (non windy) ?

Hmm, it might be worth driving over there in the day to see if there are any suitable spots. Will report back if I find anything, I'm sure a tiny bit of jaywalking won't do any harm - especially if I'm there early.

haha that looks like a good way to get the height although I'm expecting the costs to hire something like that to be quite expensive.. :D

Well if I win the lotto on Saturday we will do it :D

Not sure about the height but I've often looked at going up via the roundabout, nearest slade road end.. walking up there at the crack of dawn when the light is great. I have issues with the crack of dawn though. Otherwise i'd be with you. As I live really close.

There would be access via that ramp I will probably be going over to Slade road in the next week or so, so will have a look

A cherry picker on a long exposure might cause some movement problems, if you are after some fantastic light trails. It would be a risk to walk uphill to some of the bends, i'm not sure if the police can nick you for jay walking or not.
Do cherry pickers sway even when they're settled (non windy) ?

Having been up in a few and not quite to this height it can sway but I think if you were seriously considering it and had the money to pull it of I think that you could use anchor cables to compensate for that issue, but in all honestly I was being a little tongue in cheek, now a scissor light that would be a lot more stable. and they go upto 60m now I think or maybe 45m

In relation to the walking up the ramp near slate road, as this is part of the junction and thus part of the motorway it is illegal to walk on a motorway. So it would be a big no no if they catch you that is.

This from a man that was recently moved from a rural motorway bridge by a road womble with the excuse that it is illegal to park on a bridge even well off the road because people might call it is as a suicide attempt :wacky:

Tell the police speed and anpr vans that it is illegal to part there

Matt
MWHCVT

Back