Photographing five a side...

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

used to play five a side 2/3 times a week at a local small centre in Leeds. I say used to cos I got a nasty knee injury (snapped ACL, torn meniscus) in 09 but on the way to recovery now.

My dad still plays there so I sent the centre an e-mail to see if there's any restrictions on shooting there and offered to do some photos for their website as there's not any on there at the moment. Got this reply within a few hours..

Ash,
Absolutely no problem - feel free to take as many photos as you like.

That is a kind offer regarding the photo's, I do have some on my phone from last year but haven't had chance to publish them yet. However, if you can provide some up to date ones that would be brilliant; I could offer you some credit and advertising on the website as a return gesture. I am looking for photos of all parts of the centre, pitches indoor and outdoor, showers, reception, bar, car park, frontage and the signed entrance off the dual carriageway. Ideally I want the photos to make the centre look busy.

Speak soon,

They have indoor and outdoor pitches but I'll probably be doing the action shots outside (floodlit). Thinking of using my nifty fifty as I won't be that far from the action and I only have a kit lens and 10-20mm otherwise. Will this do? And how would you deal with the netting I'll have to shoot through?

For the centre shots I'll obviously use the 10-20mm and try and pick my moments well.

Probably be doing it Wednesday night so I'll stick some pics up Thursday.

Ash, great news pal :clap:

From asking startup questions only a few days ago to getting a shoot and more, take your time and think about what you want to achieve, also what the customer wants.

I'm sure you will do well mate.(y)

Phil.

Cheers Phil, been looking at some other (bigger) five a side centre websites to get ideas on what to shoot. Looking forward to doing some action shots as well, just need to find a way to overcome the mesh!

Hi Ash

which centre are you shooting for?

I play loads of 5 a side in Leeds. At Goals, soccer city and South Leeds Stadium. I've often thought of shooting my team mates when I've been out injured but the problem for me is my lenses are a bit on the long end. Also you have the problem of the fence getting in the way of the shots.

Can't wait to see what you come up with (y)

Hi guys,

used to play five a side 2/3 times a week at a local small centre in Leeds. I say used to cos I got a nasty knee injury (snapped ACL, torn meniscus) in 09 but on the way to recovery now.

My dad still plays there so I sent the centre an e-mail to see if there's any restrictions on shooting there and offered to do some photos for their website as there's not any on there at the moment. Got this reply within a few hours..

Ash,
Absolutely no problem - feel free to take as many photos as you like.

That is a kind offer regarding the photo's, I do have some on my phone from last year but haven't had chance to publish them yet. However, if you can provide some up to date ones that would be brilliant; I could offer you some credit and advertising on the website as a return gesture. I am looking for photos of all parts of the centre, pitches indoor and outdoor, showers, reception, bar, car park, frontage and the signed entrance off the dual carriageway. Ideally I want the photos to make the centre look busy.

Speak soon,

They have indoor and outdoor pitches but I'll probably be doing the action shots outside (floodlit). Thinking of using my nifty fifty as I won't be that far from the action and I only have a kit lens and 10-20mm otherwise. Will this do? And how would you deal with the netting I'll have to shoot through?

For the centre shots I'll obviously use the 10-20mm and try and pick my moments well.

Probably be doing it Wednesday night so I'll stick some pics up Thursday.

Ash start shooting the football for sure, its hard work but rewarding. However i WOULD NOT accept this offer, they are taking the urine by asking for what would be a big commercial shoot and pretty expensive.

As for the Kit lens i'm guessing it will be F/5.6 at the long end? if so it will be very tough to get decent results, especially under the type of lights at 5-aside centres. Your going to have to max out on your ISO then maybe have 1/250 1/160th at a push, if your lucky.

i would shoot in RAW then you can correct the WB and the colour cast from the lighting when you edit the shots.

What focal length is your kit lens?

Hi Ash

which centre are you shooting for?

I play loads of 5 a side in Leeds. At Goals, soccer city and South Leeds Stadium. I've often thought of shooting my team mates when I've been out injured but the problem for me is my lenses are a bit on the long end. Also you have the problem of the fence getting in the way of the shots.

Can't wait to see what you come up with (y)

It's Football World in East Leeds, might not have heard of it. I've played at Goals quite a bit in the past (so expensive! but great pitches) and played at South Leeds Stadium since I was about 14.
The fence is the biggest issue I'm going to have, it's been a while since I went down there for obvious reasons but I seem to remember it's actually just netting like you'd get on a full size goal, so might be able to avoid it or photoshop it out.

Ash start shooting the football for sure, its hard work but rewarding. However i WOULD NOT accept this offer, they are taking the urine by asking for what would be a big commercial shoot and pretty expensive.

As for the Kit lens i'm guessing it will be F/5.6 at the long end? if so it will be very tough to get decent results, especially under the type of lights at 5-aside centres. Your going to have to max out on your ISO then maybe have 1/250 1/160th at a push, if your lucky.

i would shoot in RAW then you can correct the WB and the colour cast from the lighting when you edit the shots.

What focal length is your kit lens?

Hi Andy,

I know what you're saying but it's the first photography I've done for anyone else so I'd feel uncomfortable charging for it. I'm happy just to do a few shots and get some feedback, not exactly going out of my way as I'm watching and shooting my dads game anyway.

Kit lens is 18-55mm but I'm just gonna use my 50mm f/1.8 I think, as you point out the light will be crap so I'll need the 1.8 and massive ISO.

I'm gonna try and pick a decent WB whilst I'm there to save on PP work but I always shoot raw anyway so any dodgy ones can be tweaked, thanks for the advice by the way (y)

Hi Andy,

I know what you're saying but it's the first photography I've done for anyone else so I'd feel uncomfortable charging for it.

That's a confidence thing.

I made the same mistake when I started shooting both kids matches.

Now no-one wants to pay :nono:

:agree: its hard to build a price up from zero, if you don't want money, what else can they give you? Ok a link to your images from their site..... who looks at their site to get images?

My best (only real sales) came from shooting basketball finals, see if you can get to shoot the season finals, the younger the kids the better, parents will spend lots on their pics, work hard and fast on the pp, get a huge board up in the reception to display some images, links to your site, buy lots of cd's and get your cash back from the players/ teams. If you want to do it for fun and experience, thats fine. But better to get a few sales to pay for bits of kit / transport costs or even a bacon butty. I promise you will feel great when someone wants to buy your pictures (y)

Really enjoyed myself, only shot the football in the end didn't bother doing any for the centre. Got quite a few keepers despite the standard of football being quite poor (I'm injured remember :LOL:) I'll get some pics up asap in the crit forum (y)

Last edited:
Back