Photographing grand kids at football

Name
Harvey
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone any experience of the procedure when it comes to photographing in this case my grandson playing football, i understand you need permission from the parents of other children do i need a crb(?) check :thinking:

ruffdog64 said:
Has anyone any experience of the procedure when it comes to photographing in this case my grandson playing football, i understand you need permission from the parents of other children do i need a crb(?) check :thinking:

Is it in a public place? If so you need no permission Crb check.

Yes it`s kids football match , i`m thinking if i can get some form of crb check or something else it will make this things a bit easier and give parents piece of mind rather than just saying it`s a public place i`ll do what i want (i know you weren`t suggesting that but you know what i mean)

I used to take pics of my kids at football all the time - to be honest, just turn up with him and be chatty with the other parents if approached and all will be fine. I did get asked once or twice what I was doing by parents of the visiting team, but a friendly explanation and the offer to have a look of they wanted and it's all good.

I would not go to the lengths of getting a CRB check or going out of your way to speak to all the parents first, just go with your grandson and enjoy yourself!

Trouble is Crb checked are only valid to who gets them done, and iirc individuals can't get them done, it has to be a company, to be fair I have never had an issue taking photos anywhere, I do think a lot has to do with being confident and not looking nervous a this then makes you look shifty(ie look like you are doing something you shouldn't be, also if you know any of the other parents our people there, make sure you are seen talking to them, that will also put peoples minds to rest, I also get my cameras out first, haves chart to a couple of people I know first, then start taking pics.

When my girlfriend's son started playing rugby for the local team I just turned up and started shooting. Never been asked what I'm doing, either at home or away, because it's pretty obvious!

DemiLion said:
When my girlfriend's son started playing rugby for the local team I just turned up and started shooting. Never been asked what I'm doing, either at home or away, because it's pretty obvious!

Me neither, in fact the parents at other teams are starting to recognise me now too :LOL:

I wouldn't worry as others have said just turn up and shoot, when I used to coach colts rugby several parents used to video the game.
If you do want to go down the crb route you can't as an individual get one from the english crb office but can from the scottish crb office even if you reside in england.

I was shooting some Rugby Union the other week and it was the first time I had a parent state that they didnt want me to photgrapher their son...It was an U14 game and I had already sought perission from the host club, this was done a week before the game. On the day of the game I spoke to the away team parents, just letting thm know who I was and what we were all about. It was at this point that a person stated that they didn't want me photographing their son. I asked why this was as I could probably put their mind at rest and carry on with the shoot. The person then said it was their choice and that was that.

I asked would it be an issue if their son was later selected for Yorkshire...Their reply was 'He won't play for Yorkshire' I said but Hyperthetically speaking what if ..... The person then stated again that he would not be selected for Yorkshire.

I did the shoot and deleted any images where their son was in the frame....

Later that day, I was made aware by the host team manager that this person had made a complaint that I had intimidated the person in question. I explained my actions and was told that if a parent states they do not want photo's taken of their son/daughter, that I should just accept it and not question their decision.

Whilst I do not agree with this, I now do exactly that.

Last edited:
I was shooting some Rugby Union the other week and it was the first time I had a parent state that they didnt want me to photgrapher their son...It was an U14 game and I had already sought perission from the host club, this was done a week before the game. On the day of the game I spoke to the away team parents, just letting thm know who I was and what we were all about. It was at this point that a person stated that they didn't want me photographing their son. I asked why this was as I could probably put their mind at rest and carry on with the shoot. The person then said it was their choice and that was that.

I asked would it be an issue if their son was later selected for Yorkshire...Their reply was 'He won't play for Yorkshire' I said but Hyperthetically speaking what if ..... The person then stated again that he would not be selected for Yorkshire.

I did the shoot and deleted any images where their son was in the frame....

Later that day, I was made aware by the host team manager that this person had made a complaint that I had intimidated the person in question. I explained my actions and was told that if a parent states they do not want photo's taken of their son/daughter, that I should just accept it and not question their decision.

Whilst I do not agree with this, I now do exactly that.

This is what i`m hoping to avoid , as in most things nowadays the minority spoil it for the rest of us.
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply it`s very much appreciated, Harvey

I shot my sons playing football all the time. I don't have a CRB check but I always ask being the game, and so far in over 4 years have only had 1 team object. I think there was a kid in care playing for that team.

I have found that as long as you ask there isn't normally any problem, in fact some of the teams have asked for copies!

As the others have said, if it's in a public place, just shoot away, but out of courtesy ask first.

Turned up to a few of my nephew's under 8 tag rugby games and shot away without any problems.

Always make sure I'm chatty/approachable and I've even had other parents/guardians ask if I've got any shots of their kids.

I was speaking to a friend who organised kids football and he said "If anyone starts taking pictures of our boys when they play they have to prove who they are and why they're taking pictures or I make them put their cameras away" :shake:

I politely told him that where they play is public and he was completely in the wrong and could even end up on the wrong side of the law by telling people to put their cameras away. He didn't like it much :LOL:

Still think it's hilarious that people are that paranoid tbh, I mean someone standing in plain sight of 50+ people with a DSLR and a big zoom lens isn't exactly inconspicuous :thinking: :bonk:

I recommend using the Jenna Marbles face.

The trick to dealing with any objecting parent/security guard/outraged minority is not floundering, and making it clear that you know you're in the right.

"Can you access the internet on your phone? You can? Marvellous. Now, if you just take a quick look at the Police's Government based website, you'll see that I don't need a permit, or license, or consent from others or anything like that. See? Nothing to worry about, is there?".

I recommend using the Jenna Marbles face.

The trick to dealing with any objecting parent/security guard/outraged minority is not floundering, and making it clear that you know you're in the right.

"Can you access the internet on your phone? You can? Marvellous. Now, if you just take a quick look at the Police's Government based website, you'll see that I don't need a permit, or license, or consent from others or anything like that. See? Nothing to worry about, is there?".

...and that sort of attitude is likely to get you thrown out of a private sports ground faster than you can get an iPhone connection!

Not if you're friendly and polite with it. Rather than argue your case, you let them read for themselves. If they still want to protest, then their argument is with the Police, and not yourself.

Keep smiling as you say it. You are - after all - helping them to understand, and not berating them.

This is regarding being in public though. In a private sports ground you're there at the courtesy of the management. In that situation, ask to speak to the manager and ask what their policy on photography is. If a parent doesn't agree with that, then their argument is with the manager, and not yourself.

Last edited:
Not if you're friendly and polite with it. Rather than argue your case, you let them read for themselves. If they still want to protest, then their argument is with the Police, and not yourself.

wild guess.. you ahve never actualy experienced this?

The trick to dealing with any objecting parent/security guard/outraged minority is not floundering, and making it clear that you know you're in the right. .

There is no law against going to the front of the long que in the post office..ignoring everyone else.. your in your right to do so.. same at a bus stop or wherever

sometimes being in the right.. isn't the right thing.

You also need to ask the clubs officials what their signing on process is, the overwhelming majority of junior clubs have a section in the signing on form asking if parents give permission for their child to be photographed by someone the club sees fit, 99.99% of parents give agreement when signing on their child so are in no position to refuse.

wild guess.. you ahve never actualy experienced this?
I've had private security tell me I'm not allowed to take pictures of a flower in the street, as there were children 40 feet away and in a different direction.

I explained why I was, why he was wrong, and where he could verify everything I was telling him, and then we had a chat about life in general and departed with a handshake. Once he'd moved away from his "anyone with a camera is a P**** or a terrorist" briefing and started thinking for himself, he actually started offering up examples of why his company's "Camera AAAAARRRGGHH!!" policies were unworkable.

Let's be clear, I'm not about being argumentative here. Never raise your voice or be stubborn. However, once you start doubting that you're allowed to do what you're doing, it looks as though you shouldn't be.

If you're in public, you can take the photo. That's all there is to it. If anyone objects, explain (with a smile) that you can, why you can, why they can as well if they want to, and if they need further assurance, here's where they can see the information for themselves.
No need to take my word for it. It's there in black and white. What are they going to do? Call the Police when it's on the Police's own website that you can take the photo's?

If you're on private property, then it's up to the management. What they say goes. If they don't want you to take photo's, and they've let you know that they don't want to take photo's, then you don't take photo's. Simple as that. If it's not clear, ask.
Their gaff, their rules.

Let's be clear, I'm not about being argumentative here. Never raise your voice or be stubborn. However, once you start doubting that you're allowed to do what you're doing, it looks as though you shouldn't be.
But your first post on the subject said you were anything but non argumentitive, not stubborn or not loud, you posted it in a totally arsey manner

Now i dont mind my kids being photographed but if i did and the arse behind the camera said the above to me in the general tone it comes across as he would find his camera embedded in the darkest depths of his anus with my boot following his camera.

Regardless of what the law says there is the small matter of being respectful and respecting the childs parents decision rightly or wronglt.

I suppose if you read it in a sarcastic/patronising tone of voice then it does come across as arsey. Fair enough, I'll concede that.

So to add, don't sound arsey. You're meant to be reassuring them.

I do a lot of photography on behalf of my local children's footy league and get challenged every now and again which bloody well annoys me. Normally I am polite and explain the situation which always leads to a satisfactory outcome, often with the challenger pointing out his/her child and hinting that a snap of them would be nice.

Sometimes, however, I simply ask:

What are you implying?

This simple technique has worked every time so far. It disarms the challenger in the most emphatic manner and they go all, 'sorry mate, I was only asking,' on me.

I often quote a sentence I picked up off the FA website when I did my Level 1 in football coaching:

'The FA actively encourages the photography of children playing football as long as they are appropriately dressed.'

And finally, my answer to the OP:

No CRB required and if it makes you feel more confident about what you're doing, print off the following to show any killjoys:

http://thefa.com/TheFA/WhatWeDo/Foo...aphyGuidelines.ashx/PhotographyGuidelines.pdf

Sometimes people make a challenge for absolutely no logical reason whatsoever. Here's what happened to me three years ago:

I was going to photograph the presentations to 7 and 8 year olds for the league. There were matches prior to the presentations and I was wandering around taking a few action snaps.

A woman at one pitch said, 'Excuse me, I'm not comfortable with you taking pictures of my son.'

This was one of those 'what are you implying' moments but, seeing as she was standing with the parents of the other children in her son's team, I had a better repy:

'I'm actually here to photograph the presentations, so when your team goes up for their medals I won't take any photos.'

As I had gambled on, the other parents cried, 'No!' in unison.

That's it, I thought with immense satisfaction, battle won and pressed home my advantage by saying to her: 'Okay, if you point you son out to me I'll make sure I don't photograph him when your team goes up.'

To which she mumbled, 'Well, i suppose it will be okay.'

See, thing is, it's all media hype and paranoia. People often do pose the challenge without actualy thinking through what and why it is they're doing it for.

99% of the time I agree - however you do get occasions when a child is on the at risk register (like for instance our local school has one child who's mother has left an abusive father and moved away and they therefore request that that child isnt included in any photograph which might wind up in the press or on the net , which is fair enough)

Its nearly always hype and paranoia , but not absolutely always so you do need to treat it on a case by case basis

(incidentally I do have a CRB from my day job, but I don't use it when shooting because that isnt what it was gained for )

I've been shooting my Son's Development team matches (He's 9 years old).

The matches over here in Northern Ireland are played on Council land. There's a concent form that the parents sign when their child joins a club, that gives photographic permission at matches.

I have permission for my Son's team, but I ask the other team before the match. It's courtesy. If there would be any objections I would acknowledge there request. The way I see it, what's the point of getting any parents back up?

I was talking to a coach from the IFA at my Son's training last night and he was saying that next season they're trying to make things stricter with an Access NI (our equivalent of a CRB a photgraphers wearing a hi viz bib.

The FA (Football Association) which covers just about all junior footy in England doesnt it? ... will not CRB photographers and indeed say its unlawful to even check a photographer for a CRB

http://www.kipax.com/crb.php

99% of the time I agree - however you do get occasions when a child is on the at risk register (like for instance our local school has one child who's mother has left an abusive father and moved away and they therefore request that that child isnt included in any photograph which might wind up in the press or on the net , which is fair enough)
Had exactly the same situation quite a few years back, mother and child moved from one part of country to another and court orders in place, however the mother didnt tell the club she signed her kid on at, wasnt until photos appeared on my website i got a call from the RFL governing body asking me to remove then that i found out why, abusive dad could have spotted them, seen the team crest on kids shirts and tracked them down.

Parents..... urrgghhhhh

When I started coaching basketball a few years ago, I used to treat the kids at the end of the season to a party/event. The camera came out and snaps were plenty, being a comical fun loving guy, I used to name the pics. One picture was of three boys, 2 white and one black (all from my team), I label the pic as 'Larry, Curly and Mo' One parent was up in arms as I had tagged the picture with Curly and there was a black boy in it with curly hair..... :wacky: to ease her pain I renamed it 'Three wise monkeys'

The parent of the black kid thought it was hilarious, the complaining parent huffed and puffed, read the Mail and hugged a tree. She stayed with me for 3 more years and made my life so joyous.

To the OP, CRB not needed, diplomacy and tact are your friend. Smile and enjoy the day

Phil.

Back