Photographing Kingfishers

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Good morning all, not my usual forum section.

Over the last few days I have noticed a kingfisher has been paying regular visits to our garden. Not sure what type it is, it looks almost black with a bright blue streak down its back.

My garden backs onto a a small strip of scrubland where someone grazes a couple of horses and then goes onto a nature reserve. Separating my garden from the scrubland is a shallow stream which is full of small fish.

IMG_20160119_091005.jpg

Now I only have a 200mm lens so I have no chance of getting close enough. I was thinking of setting up a perch over the stream and setting up the camera nearby on a tripod and controlling it from indoors where I can keep an eye on. Does this sound like it could work?

There is only one "type" of Kingfisher in the UK

Here

" I was thinking of setting up a perch over the stream and setting up the camera nearby on a tripod and controlling it from indoors where I can keep an eye on. Does this sound like it could work?"

very lucky if that works as you need to focus on the birds eye or at least it's head to get a good shot - there are very small birds

The pro way is to get a fish tank - set it in the stream bank - stock it with small sticklebacks - set up your kit - lie down for hours with a camo cover over you .. then "spray and pray" it, preferably with a D4S .. you then could win a prize!!

Last edited:
Black?!?!?
Yes in theory it could work I guess...
If you put a decent enough perch down there then the Kingy will use it, eventually. They are quite inquisitive birds so a good chance of it perching.
Pre-focus the camera on the perch, hope it lands in front of the lens then remotely fire. Theoretically it works...
I trust there are no windows in t'other side of the shed? That's almost a perfect hide!!

For a Kingfisher there soon would be a camera hole in the shed :D,but do it any picture of a kingfisher is better than no picture

If your looking at a project for potential close up shots of the bird I would first monitor the bird and forget about trying to get shots for the moment, if the bird is just visiting due to its normal territory being short of fish then I would just set up a small hide place a perch and hope for the best, failing that and you have a bird in its regular territory I would invest in a Bushnel camcorder set up and see if you can find its favoured fishing(landing) spots ,I got away with hiding on the bank and just watching with binoculars ,kingfishers cannot resist a new perch ,sometimes you get lucky and it will land straight away other times it could totally ignore it but if you put in the time it will eventually land, we will be coming up to mating season soon and that's when you will notice activity (if its a male bird and definitely in its own territory) if that happens then you will have the female as well...good luck

Thanks guys. No other windows in the shed unfortunately, but it is falling apart and needs replacing and I had thought doing something with a new one to double it up as a hide.

I think I'll give it a go, nothing to lose. If it is going to hang around for a while I can get a bit more adventurous with fish tanks and what not.

Have you thought about a pop up hide? Or even something more permanent. Even just a scrim net hung up between the shed and the bird bath.

You lucky chap, Dave - I'd love the opportunity to photograph one, let alone see one.

Sorry to be boring but I'd advise you look up the laws on this as it's a particularly protected bird, like the barn owl. You should be just fine but I thought it helpful to let you know.

More positively, good luck getting the shot!

You lucky beggar! :)

First thing I would do is set up a new perch overhanging the stream, a nice lichen-covered one.

Then I'd clear that shed out and cut out a hole for the camera lens.

Oh and then I'd wait for 3-4 hours and see how many times (if any) he lands.

Good luck, it'll be ideal if the sunlight sits nicely on the stream (y)

I would be inclined to "nail" several Sticklebacks to the shed door!..................................<<< that bit was a joke ;)

On a serious note, i would love my garden to back onto this type of location. Sort out your shed, install some more small windows, put up some natural feeders...and reap the rewards of observing wild creatures.
If you manage to capture some images along the way, then another bonus will be had.

Good luck, the first thing I would do.... is get some felt on that shed roof,:D, I have a kingfisher visit for a couple of weeks each year, but I never know what couple of weeks, then its gone again for the rest of the year, good luck.

if the stream has got its own fish, which you say it has, then just but a few nice natural perches up for now, see what happens with these,
then if the bird uses them, then decide on hide later.
at the end of the day, these will go back to their nesting grounds in a couple of months time, so might not be around for long..(thats if they are not breeding near you)

This may have been a bit short lived. Yesterday we found some bright blue feathers on the patio and have not seen him since. Will keep my eyes open but I fear that a cat or fox may have got to him.

Bugger. Just gone to take the bins out and found the kingfisher. I assume it was a cat as a fox wouldn't have left it behind, in the same spot where I have previously found dead mice.

Back