Photographing Kingfishers

Name
Jeremy Moore
Edit My Images
No
Just a heads up really. The Teifi Marshes Nature reserve is absolutely brilliant at the moment for kingfishers. There appears to be a family of juveniles frequenting the pools at the moment, and no doubt the parents are away producing another brood - which they will probably bring to the reserve in good time. The reserve belongs to the Wildlife Trust and they have positioned perches for the birds in front of two of the hides. I really can't recommend the reserve highly enough for seeing and photographing KF's..

https://www.welshwildlife.org/visit/welsh-wildlife-centre-teifi-marshes

Stopped off there on my way to Skomer its a great hide although the perches were not ideal (the one with the L shape) but did still manage to get Junenile shots. Better than i could get at home,

Yes, the perches perhaps aren't that natural looking but for the general viewer that probably isn't important. There's the kingfisher hide - good in the afternoon, and the Mallard hide, good in the morning due to the direction they face.

Last edited:
Just to add another place that is good kingfishers - Rye Meads reserve in Hertfordshire. I was there yesterday and had some great views from the Kingfisher Hide.

Dave

got his net out, permanent hide at Pennington flash, waited a long time!

Attachments

• 6AC6D168-183E-4C56-B76C-B1AD2FA984DF_1_201_a.jpeg
    6AC6D168-183E-4C56-B76C-B1AD2FA984DF_1_201_a.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 8
Back