Photographing large groups

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just had a booking in to do a family portrait next month, when she said family I thought she meant Mum, Dad and three kids. Nope. There will be twenty four of them and she wants a shot with all of them in it. Obviously I doubt I will be able to use my wide backdrop but she does have a big house with a large lounge/sitting area which has quite good natural light.

Luckily it is an old building with some interesting features as far as I can remember and she does have a couple of large sofas which I'll use somehow, kids on and in front of them etc.

Lighting: I'll try and use the natural light wherever possible but for a group this size I'm going top need some more, I'm thinking a couple of studio lights with softboxes, maybe bounced off the ceiling and possibly a bit of fill with the Gary Fong Lightsphere.

Any other suggestions, hints or tips? This is my first proper 'booking' for a portrait shoot - talk about in at the deep end! :thinking:

yup you will definately need a lot of extra light, and avery wide lens!

cant be that much more help though im afraid

24 isn't that many for a group, but quite a lot for a family portrait. A focal length of around 24mm should fit everyone in, but still let you get close enough to the group. Anything much wider and the group start to look a bit distant. You'll have to watch with a wide angle that the outside members of the group don't start to lean outwards. Camera height and levelling will be pretty crucial... use a tripod and keep on eye on converging verticals.

It's a pity the weather's changed a bit now as I often used to take these sort of shots outside if there was a nice garden or backdrop, just using diffused fill flash.

If you can get away with natural light and the Fong diffuser, it's certainly worth a try..... meter for the room light and use the Fong for fill pointing straight up at the ceiling. You may be pleasantly surprised.

If you do need extra lights then a couple of studio lights with soft boxes should be OK coupled with the Fong. The beauty of digital is that at least you can chimp like mad between shots. ;)

Try to get a pleasing arrangement of bods, and try a few variations.

Back